How is the best way to do Soft Bread Crumbs

irish15, Dec 21, 8:00pm
I have googled and found conflicting stories, some say to bake in hot oven for a few minutes then cool and crumb in food processor others just take fresh bread and break up then put in food processor, I can imagine that going sort of clumped if you know what I mean, should the bread be stale?

245sam, Dec 21, 8:13pm
irish15, IMO bread should be stale for the easiest and most successful making of breadcrumbs.To achieve this spread the bread out on a clean bench - usually on the opened out bread bag and preferably where it is sunny.I then loosely cover the bread and leave it for a few hours by which time the bread should have dried out somewhat but definitely not become dry and brittle.I tear the bread into pieces and feed them into the food processor and in no time at all I have nice fresh breadcrumbs with absolutely no clumping in the food processor.
Although I've never done so I guess that the bread could be slightly dried in the oven but my thought re this is - why heat the oven when with a little pre-planning one can use the sun and let it do the 'staling' of the bread at no extra cost?

Hope that helps.:-))

irish15, Dec 21, 8:16pm
It sure helps heaps thankyou 245. Any idea how many slices to do for 100grms and is any sort of bread ok as I have Freyas Linseed and Soy?

irish15, Dec 21, 8:17pm
Is it best to do it when you need it rather than a few days before? will it keep?

245sam, Dec 21, 8:38pm
irish15,
re "Any idea how many slices to do for 100grms and is any sort of bread ok as I have Freyas Linseed and Soy?"
As a matter of convenience this is info' that I noted a few years ago - unfortunately (for you) this info' relates to commercial white bread:

WEIGHTS OF COMMERCIALLY BAKED BREAD SLICES -
Toast Sliced = 39g
Sandwich/Medium Sliced=30g

Another thought re the bread you have is that the bread bag should have some info' to help you re the weight of each slice.
Presumably you're wanting the breadcrumbs for stuffing?In any case IMO the type of bread used for breadcrumbs is a matter of choice although using different/grainy, etc. crumbs would also affect the consistency (and most likely the flavour) of the finished product, but not necessarily in a detrimental way - other than white crumbs could quite possibly make a more interesting stuffing, crumb coating or whatever.

Re "Is it best to do it when you need it rather than a few days before? will it keep?

By all means prepare the breadcrumbs ahead of time but to ensure that they keep put them into a plastic bag then into the freezer - they thaw almost immediately so are a useful item to have on hand, in the freezer, at any time - not only at Christmas.:-))

irish15, Nov 28, 12:55pm
Awesome thankyou for your advice greatly appreciated :)Rae