Turkish delight recipe please

dna187, Dec 21, 7:19pm
have decided to try giving turkish delight a go, never made before, these are going to go in my xmas hampers. Please can i have a basic recipe with not too many ingredients and any hints so they wont be a flop lol. thanks

bedazzledjewels, Dec 21, 7:54pm
Try using the search function on the left of your screen.
This topic came up yesterday.

maryteatowel1, Dec 21, 8:08pm
...humidity and turkish delight don't go very well together...i lived with an iraian guy in japan...he made 'sweetmeats' including turkish delight...it was a 5 year apprenticeship...you did not finish your apprenticeship until you could make turkish delight perfectly...i do have an original recipe but it doesn't contain gelatine so not sure if that is really what you're looking for...

dna187, Dec 21, 8:32pm
hi yes i just googled, and thought hell no, its a terribly involved process .lol.

maryteatowel1, Dec 21, 8:43pm
...edmonds cookbook had one...in the older cookbook...it had gelatine, sugar, water, raspberry essence, red food colouring...was much easier...not the same of course but user friendly...i still would choose to make something else this time of year...fudge, chocolates, coconut ice...

ribzuba, Dec 21, 8:43pm
i make it all the time..its not that hard

greerg, Dec 22, 12:02am
I don't want to be a wet blanket but I think you might be better with another type of sweet.I had a Turkish colleague who was a fantastic cook so thought he would be the person to teach me to make Turkish delight buthe said that even his mother didn't make it because its a well-guarded secret even in Turkey.

bedazzledjewels, Dec 22, 12:10am
It's one of the most difficult to make - along with decent nougat.

peachygotit, Feb 9, 3:37am
I made the Edmonds oneat christmas, it was horrible compared to the stuff you buy from the shop..it was easy as to make, but i think id like a recipe that uses Corn syrup.. might make it chewy and gooey, thats the way i like it.

lythande1, Feb 9, 6:04am
That's not Turkish Delight.
INGREDIENTS
400g sugar
150ml water
1 tsp lemon juice
50g (100ml) cornflour (not wheaten cornflour)
175ml cold water
1 drop food colouring (red or pink)
1.5 tsp rose essence/water, or to taste
Optional flavours:
1ml mastic (available at Middle Eastern grocers), crushed with a little sugar and/or 25g lightly roasted, unsalted pistachios (50g with shells)
For dusting, sift together:
25g (50ml) cornflour
50g pure icing sugar

METHOD

- Put the sugar, water and lemon juice in a saucepan and stir together gently. Place the saucepan over medium heat and gradually bring the syrup to the boil, gently stirring every so often. Lower the heat so the syrup is boiling gently and don't stir it any further. It is advisable to wash down the walls of the saucepan with a wet pastry brush occasionally. This dissolves crystals that form on the walls and hinders the creation of large crystals in the sugar syrup.*

- Keep simmering the syrup until it reaches 115C (soft ball stage), which should take about 25 minutes. If you don't have a thermometer, check a reference book on how to judge soft ball stage.

- Place the cornflour in a wide (17-19cm is ideal) heavy-based saucepan and gradually mix in the cold water. Cornflour can be curious stuff and you will need to add about half the water before it will mix properly.
Place the saucepan over a low heat, stirring constantly. Make sure you really do stir constantly, scraping the bottom of the saucepan. The liquid at the bottom will start to thicken very suddenly, and if you fail to scrape the pan, the thick layer that forms will not mix happily with the thinner liquid above it and you will have lumps.

- As soon as the thickening starts, remove the saucepan from the heat and keep stirring.

- When the liquid is smooth, return it to the heat, stirring. Repeat this process until you have a very thick, gluey paste, a bit like smooth, stiff mashed potato.

- Remove from the heat. If the liquid stays lumpy during the early stages, use a whisk or beater to get rid of the lumps.

- If you are confident in the kitchen, you can start making the cornflour paste about 10 minutes after you start the sugar syrup. Otherwise, follow steps consecutively as given above: it takes longer but the result is the same.

- When the paste is ready, pour about 1/2 cup of the sugar syrup into the cornflour paste and mix well until the paste is smooth again. Gradually add the remaining syrup (about 1/4 cup at a time), stirring it in well each time.

- Place the saucepan on the stove and bring the cornflour-syrup mixture to the boil, stirring all the time. When lots of bubbles are forming at the bottom of the mixture (you'll also feel or hear it as you stir), turn down the heat to very low. If the mixture boils vigorously then the heat is too high and you will need to use a lower flame, smaller hob, or a trivet-heat diffuser.

- For the next hour you will need to stir the mixture once every 1-2 minutes, scraping the bottom of the saucepan well. If the mixture is boiling too fast, remove it from the stove occasionally while you stir it. Don't leave it off the stove for long, though.

- If the mixture boils too hard or is left unattended, it may fail disastrously in several different ways. As a rule of thumb, try to keep the temperature low enough so the fine layer of bubbles that forms on the bottom is simmering gently.

- After 45-60 minutes, the mixture should be thick enough for a spoon drawn across the bottom of the pan to leave a path which takes at least 10 seconds to close up.

- After another 15 minutes (one hour or so since you started stirring), the mixture should be so thick that a path made by a spoon drawn across the bottom of the pan doesn't close up again.

- To test if it is ready, drop a small blob of the mixture into a glass of cold water. Leave it about a minute and then f

maryteatowel1, Dec 22, 8:08pm
.humidity and turkish delight don't go very well together.i lived with an iraian guy in japan.he made 'sweetmeats' including turkish delight.it was a 5 year apprenticeship.you did not finish your apprenticeship until you could make turkish delight perfectly.i do have an original recipe but it doesn't contain gelatine so not sure if that is really what you're looking for.

maryteatowel1, Dec 22, 8:43pm
.edmonds cookbook had one.in the older cookbook.it had gelatine, sugar, water, raspberry essence, red food colouring.was much easier.not the same of course but user friendly.i still would choose to make something else this time of year.fudge, chocolates, coconut ice.

ribzuba, Dec 22, 8:43pm
i make it all the time.its not that hard

greerg, Dec 23, 12:02am
I don't want to be a wet blanket but I think you might be better with another type of sweet.I had a Turkish colleague who was a fantastic cook so thought he would be the person to teach me to make Turkish delight buthe said that even his mother didn't make it because its a well-guarded secret even in Turkey.

bedazzledjewels, Dec 23, 12:10am
It's one of the most difficult to make - along with decent nougat.