weiner snitzel

Page 1 / 2
roxygirlsmum, Sep 20, 1:30am
Does anyone have a divine way of cooking this?

aussiegirl17, Sep 20, 1:38am
Weiner Snitzel I always slice the chicken thinly & soak in lemon juice & lime juice for as long as I can. then put mixed herbs in the breadcrumbs & dip chickie in egg, flour, egg breadcrumbs & put in fridge for a while to "set' then cook in hot oil, turning a couple of times till done. Serve with lemon slices YUM!

245sam, Sep 20, 1:43am
roxygilrsmum, I'm assuming that you're referring to beef/veal rather than chicken schnitzel, in which case I suggest that you have a look at:- http://trademecooks.net.nz/viewtopic. php? f=12&t=282 - you'll find a variety of yummy options there for you to choose from. :-))

coolthree, Sep 20, 2:12am
Hey 245sam, we all know where trademe cooks is, people in here are seeking person conversation.

245sam, Sep 20, 2:28am
correction coolthree from time to time you'd be surprised at the response from those who were unaware and are absolutely rapt to be informed that trademecooks even exists and occasionally there are requests for the link to trademecooks - posting the link to a recipe or particular topic thread does not prevent anyone else, including me or you, from adding our own personal favourite recipe, info or whatever so please do add your favourite way of cooking schnitzels just as I am about to. Many many years ago, as a newly wed, I modified a recipe to make my own short-cut version of beef olives which is easy as and very meltingly tender - the original recipe and my modification to follow... ... ... ... . .

245sam, Sep 20, 2:31am
Baked Schnitzel Rolls 4 slices thinly cut beef, 4 crustless slices of thin bread, finely chopped onion, 1 packet mushroom soup, mustard, salt, pepper, 1&1/2 cups water, toothpicks. Spread the bread with mustard. Place a piece of meat on each, sprinkle with salt & pepper. Scatter onion on top. Roll up and secure with toothpick. Place rolls in casserole. Mix soup & water & pour over rolls. Cover and cook at 180°C for 1&1/2 hours. My modification on this recipe to follow... . .

indy95, Sep 20, 2:47am
I think a significant number of the TM members who post in Recipes are actually seeking information, coolthree and many of them, myself included, were totally unaware of the existence of the trademecooks website until recently. 245sam is a very enthusiastic and knowledgeable participant in this messageboard who time and again has gone out of her way to share her considerable experience with anyone who has a cooking query. If she chooses to tell someone about a useful website that may be of some help Icannot imagine why that would be a problem. Keep up the great work 245sam, this board wouldn't be the same without your friendly, informative posts !

245sam, Sep 20, 3:00am
Baked Schnitzel Rolls Modified 1 packet soup mix (I use French Onion or Oxtail), 1&1/2 cups water, mustard (mild, hot, grainy), herbs (I usually use dried mixed or thyme but whatever is available & preferred), toothpicks, & per person: 1 thinly cut beef slice/schnitzel & 1 crustless thinly cut slice bread (white, wheaten, grain…). In an ovenproof dish mix the soup mix & water, ensuring that there are no lumps. Bring the soup mix-gravy to the boil in the microwave whilst stirring it every minute or so. Allow the gravy to cool. Lay the meat on a flat surface & quite generously spread each slice with mustard. to be continued... . .

245sam, Sep 20, 3:01am
continued from#8 Place 1 bread slice on each meat slice. Sprinkle the bread with herbs (not too generously). In the same way as one would roll spring rolls, fold the sides of the meat in (if sufficiently big enough) & roll the meat whilst encasing the bread. Secure the rolls with toothpicks. Place the rolls in the gravy & cover the dish. Bake at 160°C-180°C for 1-1&1/2 hours – the time will depend mainly on the size of the meat rolls. I modified the original recipe as I visualised the bread on the outside of the rolls (as in the original recipe) becoming mushy & thickening the gravy rather than being a filling/’stuffing’ for the meat. Enjoy! ! :-))

ppppaula, Sep 20, 5:33am
I love schnitzel and lately have been adding some chilli flakes to the breadcrumb mix which gives it a bit of a kick depending on how much you add. Finely chopped parsley and grated parmesan other favourites in this house. Also, TrademeCooks, as per 245sam, is a really useful site and recipes often have comments from other users once they have tried the recipe which can be helpful.

fisher, Sep 20, 5:43am
schnitzel problems solved. . Lots of folks have probs with breadcrumbs so here's an easy and quick way to do it...
SchnitzelBread Crumbing Batter. . Must be cooked in HOT oil. .
One egg in a bowl well beaten. . Add 100ml or so of milk and some plain flour and mix well to make a nice batter mix...
In flat dish, have your breadcrumbs spread out and dip the schnitzel in the batter and then into the breadcrumbs, covering and coating well. . To make your own crumbs and try something a little different. . Take some bread. . parmesan cheese. . parsley. . zest of half a lemon. . and some salt and pepper and whiz up in processor...
The parsley taints the bread with a greenish tinge. . This method is ideal for double crumbing ( chill in between ) to obtain a crunchy thick crust...

jesusisalive, Sep 25, 12:29pm
Fry the coated schnitzel in a little butter till brown, (chill in the frig for 30 min to set the crumbs first), then put the pieces in a roasting dish, cover with tinfoil and bake on a low/mod heat for 15-20 min. comes out really tender and plumped up, and all ready to serve. i add lemon pepper to my crumbs, and serve with lemon slices, mashed potato, peas, carrots and salad.

cherie19, Sep 25, 8:36pm
Has anybody tried the snitzel rolls? They sound very nice and might give them a try.

245sam, Sep 26, 3:21am
cherie19, I have never tried the recipe at#6 but the recipe at#8 & #9 is my modification of the recipe at #6 and I have made them many many times - always with success and often cooked at a lower temperature if cooking something else (e. g. a cereal - rice, sago, tapioca - pudding) that's best cooked longer and slower. :-))

uli, Oct 2, 9:02am
Just to make your day It is called "Wiener Schnitzel" :)

roys351, Oct 2, 9:40am
thin quality slices of beef can be cooked braised with tin tomatoes garlic and mixed herbs in roasting dish with grated cheese all over top then when beef is to your liking grill the cheese on top, can be used with chicken. vegie just use eggplant or whatever you like

roys351, Oct 2, 9:43am
following on from #16 beef can also be braised with milk with the cheese all over sprinkle some worchester sauce and add crushed pinapple all over cheese and cook as above

maynard9, Oct 2, 9:08pm
I use the usual method of coating however to the breadcrumbs I add 1 pkt Maggi Leek and Potato Soup mix, 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese and 1/2 pkt sesame seeds. Gives a crisp and tasty coating. I would normally coat it in the morning and keep in fridge in single layers ready to cook that evening.

uli, Oct 13, 5:26am
Maggi Leek and Potato Soup mix ... .

lilyfield, Oct 13, 5:45am
My eyes are hurting: Wiener Schnitzel- Please ! ! ! ! !

dbab, Oct 13, 5:49am
We've just had this for dinner.
I put sliced red onion and slices of tasty cheese on half of the piece of schnitzel and then fold in half. Flour, egg and crumb in the normal way, and cook on moderate heat in a frypan for a bit longer to allow for the extra thickness. My husband will do almost anything for this dinner. Mmmmmm what shall I make him do ?

dbab, Oct 13, 9:26pm
I add a little garlic salt to the flour for extra flavour.

sailze, Mar 3, 1:58am
when i do my snitz i like to put chopped cooked bacon and a slice of chease in it then crumb it , kids love it . also if you run out of breadcrumbs u can use crushed cornflakes makes it nice and crispy

vinee, Mar 3, 2:09am
I know someone who insists on calling it 'winner' snichewl.
hmm.

I've had it with spinach and tomato and mozzerella (sp? ) baked.
and I love beef olives.
I think people do them with stuffing in the middle.
But I've always had them with a stick of carrot and a stick of gherkin in the middle, and served with red wine jus.
Oh dear, reading that back - it's sounds a bit gross! But it's really yum! It is. .

darlingmole, Mar 3, 2:14am
mmmm~! I love it crumbed and fried, served with a squeeze of lemon juice. Stuffed with ham and cheese ~ sublime~! But tonight everyone I've marinated it and having it Chop Suey Island Style ... heading back to kitchen now to chop up all the veges