Traditional Signature Xmas Dish

Page 1 / 2
2sparrow, Dec 18, 3:29am
As I mention earlier this is my first ever Xmas dinner and I want to start a 'traditional family xmas dish"....interested to hear what your's are....the one dish (beside turkey) that you have at xmas, only at xmas and at every xmas.

Im going to do the Jo Seagar Port n Prunes Truffle but need a 'family table' one

TIA

timetable, Dec 18, 3:58am
i guess would be my rolled pav...lol its one of the first things down in the frezzer when i start the christmas baking and hubby checks to make sure that there is plenty for him on boxing day - tradition for him is to finish it off for breakie on boxing day lol...

melissarosenz, Dec 18, 5:29am
Oooh, that sounds FAB.Would you be able to share the recipe?Pretty please with a cherry on top??

southerngurl, Dec 18, 5:35am
grasshopper pie in our house... and not how Nigella makes it...

gardie, Dec 18, 9:07am
Mealy pudding ( oatmeal, onions, s & p, shreddo, water ) - probably not everyones cup of tea but Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without mealy pudding served alongside swede and Roast chicken gravy.

bunnyclan, Dec 18, 8:19pm
I make sherry trifle to the alison grofton recipie every year.We had trifle at our wedding and our anniversary is 23 Dec so it covers both events :-)

donnabeth, Dec 18, 8:32pm
Hot ham even when we're having a cold buffet. My SIL's huge huge pavlova that's crunchy on the outside and marshmallowy in the middle.

pr1ncesswst, Dec 18, 10:52pm
We always have a broccoli, red onion, crunchy bacon pieces, and red pepper stir fry kind of number.Don't know when or how or why it started but that is on the table every year for our christmas dinner.Oh and always a trifle :)

buzzy110, Dec 18, 11:15pm
I've fallen into making a whole baked salmon with a carefully concocted stuffing of fresh things, every year. Admittedly, now there are fewer people, I only do a whole fillet now, but I cannot seem to get away from it.

Other than the usual - Xmas mince pies, cake and pudding (which get served but never eaten) I don't do the same menu every year. I certainly don't consider desserts as signature dishes unless they were totally unique and unrepeatable.

uli, Dec 18, 11:55pm
Hard to find decent sized grass hoppers this time of year - can you do it with frozen ones?

jody23, Dec 19, 1:10am
we have trifle every year and have had for as long as i can remember, we never have it any other time during the year so it is always a big treat at xmas

cutezie, Dec 19, 2:33am
At the Asian specialty shops

timetable, Dec 19, 3:17am
rolled pav: beat till stiff 4 egg whites, then add 1 cup sugar and beat really well for about 2 min, then add 1/4 tsp baking powder, 1tsp white vinager, 1tsp van essence and 1 tsp cornflour and again beat well.now wet a piece of greaseproof paper with cold water till well wet and put it on your baking tray, spread the pav mix out on it to about a 1/4 of an inch thick all over, but leave an edge all around so you can pick the paper up off the tray when cooked.bake at 120deg till when touched on top its not tacky or sticky but don't let it go brown!then carefully peel the paper with the pav mix on it off the tray and then flip it onto a piece of greaseproof paper on the bench, that you have previously sprinkled iceing sugar on, peel the paper off the back of the pav and leave to cool.when cool spread your fillling on - i whip up cream and mix pured fruit in or jam or sprinkle over well drained fruit and you can leave the wipped cream out if you want to - but it tastes sooooooooooooooo good!!then carefully take one end of your paper and roll up the pav into a log shape and then slide onto your plate or frezzer proof plate.cover the whole thing well with whipped cream and then put in the fridge for about an hour if your going to frezze before you put gladwrap on it, double bag and frezze.to eat if its been in the frezzer take out 2 hours prior to thaw - take the gladwrap and bags off before it thaws out.enjoy!!!!

dalek1, Dec 19, 3:19am
Whenever Xmas is at our place (every second year) I make my Crunchie Bar ice cream . Yum but you do need a cardiologist on stand by its so rich

suzieq1969, Dec 20, 8:13am
Sounds yummy timetable is that ordinary sugar or castor sugar you use.

gijoe131, Dec 20, 8:15am
Would you mind posting it? Thanks

dalek1, Dec 20, 8:21am
Sure can and its soooo easy

2 cups cream
can condensed milk
3 crunchie bars- chopped in small bits
1 tsp vanilla essence

whip cream till thick-add vanilla and fold in condensed milk.
fold in crunchie bars
pour into freezerproof bowl and freeze at least overnight .
Use within 10 days
Optional - use Mars or Moro bars instead of Crunchies
I have also seen a similiar recipe using Cherry Ripes

uli, Dec 20, 10:33pm
Hmmm - yes - but they are canned - would I drain them first?

lownslownz, Dec 20, 10:48pm
always do my pumpkin pie, recipe dates back to the 1920's

teddy147, Dec 20, 11:13pm
sugared tomatoes with bacon for breakfast, only have it on christmas day for breakfast.

purplegoanna, Dec 20, 11:13pm
mines ma trifle, everyone requests it, eats it and delights in the flavours....and then the next day we all have another go at it....lol

buzzy110, Dec 21, 2:24am
I'm sure you can buy the dried ones. And what's the bet they were really really fresh when they were dried so that is almost as good as truly fresh grasshoppers.

No need to reconsititute, just make a lovely sauce using a Maggi Cook in the Pot and throw in your grasshoppers and simmer for a mere 2 hours. You'll be lauded as the bestest cook in town.

timetable, Dec 21, 4:13am
just plain white sugar.... for the rolled pav...

debudder, Dec 21, 6:38am
Loving the grass hopper thing going on here but would really love the recipe you know the one with out grasshoppers

rarogal, Dec 21, 7:05am
My Xmas Pudding - no-one in my family has ever liked the real Xmas Puddings, so I make a sultana and currant only one, and have made it for 40 years!!