Your Xmas Day Menu

Page 1 / 3
elliehen, Dec 9, 10:39am
Bumping for marie74

2sparrow, Dec 17, 6:53am
Hosting Xmas at home for the first time ever !!!!Apart from Egg Nog and Mulled Wine have no idea what to have...have googled Kiwi Xmas Menu and sitting here watcing Ramsay very complicated Xmas recipes.....thought I would ask you all what you are having to get ideas ....thanks in advance

jallen2, Dec 17, 6:54am
Good on you !
How many are you cooking for and would you prefer hot or cold etc?

lizab, Dec 17, 7:03am
I wish I was watching Gordon Ramsey!!! I've been relegated to the computer as the two tv's are being hogged by my two kids!! :(

Anyway ... our Christmas menu plans are:

Entree: Fisherman's surprise (crayfish, mussels, prawns etc) cooked on the bbq (friends are bringing this ... hence the 'surprise'!)

Mains are going to be butterflied lamb, baked salmon, steak. Kumara and parsnips in a maple syrup glaze. Pumpkin, feta and orzo salad. Rice salad, Green salad. Breads.

Desserts: Xmas pud and brandy sauce, Ambrosia, Pavlova and some strawberries and icecream

2sparrow, Dec 17, 7:05am
OMG !!!!!!!! Baked salmon, crayfish, kumera and parsnips

That sounds like a restaurant !!!!

There will be 15 !

Gosh I better get googling !

smudge75, Dec 17, 7:09am
At our 'Kiwi' xmas each family brings something. There will be ham on the bone, and two boneless chicken rolls stuffed with walnuts and apricots. Baby peas fresh from the garden, new potatoes fresh from the garden, orzo (feta, sundried tom etc) salad, fried rice, smoked chicken salad. Then for dessert Im making the lemon curd tats from Annabel Langbeins new book, plus the strawberry cloud cake and of course a pav....and on the side for the kids will be a chocolate fountain - phew Im full just typing it all out! Yum!

2sparrow, Dec 17, 7:17am
wow....I have SO much to learn...silly me thinking salad, ham, trifle and pav would do !

margyr, Dec 17, 7:21am
2sparrow that would do me!!! just make sure you have plenty of nibbles as well.

shop-a-holic, Dec 17, 7:24am
Traditional Brined and Roasted Fresh Turkey
This year our bird weighs in at a whopping 24.2 lbs; the largest we’ve ever had the pleasure of serving and the largest of his kind in the country. He was handpicked by his breeder David Cottrell in North Canterbury and named “Glorious”.

Pork, Pistachio and Cranberry Forcemeat Stuffing
Oven Roasted Potatoes in Goose Fat
Maple Glazed Organic Heirloom Baby Carrots
French Beans Wrapped in Italian Prosciutto Crudo

Traditional Flambéd Christmas Pudding
Iced Creams
A selection of homemade iced cream . 70% Cacao Chocolate, Coconut & Tahitian Lime and a Limited Edition Christmas Iced Cream.

lizab, Dec 17, 7:29am
lol 2 sparrow!!! A restaurant meal is certainly will not be ... as usual, I will probably have had one too many glasses of bubbles and will not actually be hungry at all and will not want to make dinner for anyone lol!! Can I come to your house!?? ;)

2sparrow, Dec 17, 7:34am
Hell yeah !! LOL at the thought of the both of us consuming too many bubbles and trying to feed the masses with peanut butter on toast.....does Gordon Ramsay not realise all of us dont have vanilla pods andbuttermilk in our pantry

hollypc, Dec 17, 7:43am
must say the choc fountain is great idea for kids,

2sparrow, Dec 17, 9:39am
How does the choc fountain work?

cgvl, Dec 17, 9:54am
2sparrow, xmas lunch/dinner can be as elaborate as you want or not.
Ham, salads and breads with desserts is fine.

What about a BBQ, guests bring the meat or you supply ham (cut into steaks or thinly sliced), bacon, meat patties, breakfast sausages and if you can afford it steak, you supply a selection of salads, and or bqq vegies, some breads and condiments.
Desserts: Ambrosia, cheats banoffee pie, pav, cream and fruit salads maybe a cheesecake or trifle as well.
keep it simple, its the company we enjoyed most.

jaz8, Dec 17, 9:59am
I'm having Christmas dinner at mine. I am only really a learner cook so will do the best I can, Mum is bringing a roast Chicken with her amazing stuffing and a Pav. I'm copying straight out of the Foodtown magazine with roast eye fillet stuffed with spinach, pinenuts and something else I can't remember (good start, right?), new potatoes with dill and capers (will probably just end up as plain new potatoes), and this yummy roast baby vege salad thingy, and a good old garden salad. Probably a few extras if I think of them. Granddad is bringing my Nana's yummy Christmas pudding with brandy cream. I can't wait.

glenleigh, Dec 17, 10:03am
Nothing wrong with that,we are having a picnic by the lake and taking just that along with a few other bits and pieces.Don't turn your day into a hard slog, it is for you to enjoy as well.

chynna2, Dec 17, 10:10am
I am hosting 12 for the second Christmas!

The trick is to keep it simple, and you won't get stressed (don't forget to enlist the help of others too, especially if they can bring something already made!).

My menu:

Shrimp & prawn cocktail

Turkey - served with cranberry sauce & gravy
Ham (previously warmed in oven with pineapple & cherry glaze)
Boiled new potatoes
Roast potatoes
Peas
Baby Carrots
& one other vegie

Trifle (made my MIL)
Steamed Xmas pud with custard and cream (made by MIL)
Fruit Salad

After Dinner Mints

I have to go to work for four hours after this is served at lunch-time, so hopefully I am not too full and just want to fall asleep (as usually happens after a big Xmas lunch LOL!).

sarah531, Dec 17, 10:58am
BBQ - chicken and vegetable kebabs, beef fillet, sausages, prawn kebabs, coleslaw, beetroot salad, orzo salad, garlic bread, chocolate cheesecake, christmas cake....

iamkat, Dec 17, 11:22am
Turkey, stuffing, bread sauce,homemade cranvberry sauce and gravywith new potatoes fresh hand podded peas (yeah we are odd) new carrots and what ever other vegetable that gets in the way
dessert will be Trifle (no trifling and driving guys)! pavlova fruit salad strawberries and raspberries and a special treat there will be a traditional south africian dessert as we are having Sth Africian guests coming bringing us a treat!
and if there is any room left a coffee and chrimmas cake to top off!!

The most important thing of all is to make sure that there is enough trifle left over so we can have it for boxing day breakfast!

dorothy_vdh, Dec 17, 6:29pm
we too are having a picnic this year,so we will some treats but basically it will be simple and relaxed

margyr, Dec 17, 8:35pm
And just think this time next week, we will be doing all of the above!!!!!!!!!!!! eeek.

2sparrow, Dec 18, 3:31am
yes I agree-----dont watn to be sloggin in the kitchen all day---be too tired and grumpy to enjoy it

lizab, Dec 18, 9:05am
too true margyr!! i was thinking that today whilst traipsing round the shops in Hamilton!!!

have a good week everyone - Happy Christmas!!

accroul, Dec 22, 10:17pm
Sounds fine to me!
We're having Ham, potato salad & a pear walnut & blue cheese salad along with garlic bread for mains. Dessert is Xmas pudd with custard & hard sauce and a pav too. There'll be jelly & ice-cream for the kids.

pericles, Dec 22, 10:24pm
prawn & advacado salad
smoked salmon
raw fish
glazed ham
roasted chicken
roast vegies
new potates (jersey Beannies)
new carrots
new peas
corn
baby beets