Xmas Mince Pies: Neat Pastry edges

clair4, Dec 16, 11:37pm
What is the eaiest way to get a nice round shape.When cutting out with a cutter and picking up from the sticky board, they do ten to go out of shape when you put them into the baking pan.
Would it be easier to make a larger circle and cut around the top once into the pan.Thanks for your advice.I am making open top pies with a star on top of each.

buzzy110, Dec 17, 3:42am
If you do not have a handy silicone sheet for working your pastry on then sprinkle a fine layer of flour over your bench or roll out the pastry on a piece of baking paper. You shouldn't have any problems with sticky pastry.

I usually, if I am not doing a blind, cut to just slightly bigger than will fit snug and tidily in the pan, fill with filling then put the star on top. At that point I carefully pinch the ends of the star onto the pastry (where they meet). Everything comes out nice and tidy. sometimes I use a fork and press that into the edges of the lower case just to make it 'pretty' and because that is what my mother always did though I am sure there are flash gadgets for doing that now.

If I am doing a blind I make it even more slightly bigger to allow fort the inevitable shrinkage, which really shouldn't occur if the pastry is treated properly, but sadly it sometimes does anyway.

gardie, Dec 17, 3:51am
I roll my pastry out between 2 sheets of gladwrap - keep pulling creases out of gladwrap as you roll.I then cut all the peices and peel off the unwanted bits (to reuse) and using the gladwrap to pick up the pastry - you can sort of peel it into your hand and then pop them into the tray.Do enough for about 6 bottoms at a time.

I also have 2 little wooden dibbers that fits neatly into my mini muffin and standard muffin trays.I roll the pastry into a ball and then pop it into the bottom and then push it with the dibber (or whatever its called) so that it goes up the sides of the tins.It was a trick I saw Jo Seagar do and I brought the dibber at a craft stall.Jo might have them in her shop.(needs a nice soft sweet short pastry to do this (the shop brought stuff is OK).

I always decorate with a star shape and sprinkle icing sugar over when cold.You just don't see that the sides aren't perfect - you are so eager to get it into your mouth!

clair4, Nov 6, 4:47pm
gardie.Thank you for reminding me.I tried to use the mini muffin tins and it was too much trouble, so used the pie tray and after reading your message, I suddenly remember I have one of those gadgets but completely forgot.I still have some pastry left over and have put it into the freezer until next week.The pies are so yummy.I am giving them away for xmas to rellies.I used the sweet short pastry made with 1/2 cup icing sugar and they are great.I ended up flattening the pastry with my hands, but I will certainly try the other suggestions..Thanks a lot.