'Salad's with out greens??

Page 1 / 2
kernal1, Dec 16, 10:19am
Family don't Like lettuce! Help please for side dishes to replace. Had a tomato/onion one ages ago but not sure how it was made! Love ideas! Many thanks!

juliewn, Dec 16, 12:44pm
Hi.. I sometimes make what I call a Chunky Salsa.. using fresh in-season veges and fruits.. it looks great and can be made to suit what you prefer to eat..

I cut up into bite sized chunks, any of the salad types of veges, other veges, and some fruit.. depending on what I have.

I use tomatoes, cucumber, capsicum, young, fresh courgette (they're nice raw too), celery, asparagus (either raw or lightly steamed and chilled), etc.. plus pineapple (canned or fresh), kiwifruit, tangelo, orange, persimmon, etc.. Add some chopped avocado just before serving..

A few hours in advance - or the day before, I lightly steam some cauliflower and/or broccoli florets, courgettes, scallopini, kumara, potato, etc.. etc.. then drain, leave till cool, then chill in the fridge.

I assemble everything, toss a light dressing through.. pile into a serving dish/platter.. and it's done..

Dressings - we like using either freshly squeezed lemon or orange juice, or apple cider vinegar.. you can add a dressing of your choice.. honey mustard is nice too..

You can also use all steamed veges, toss a dressing through.. and you have a warm salad..

gardie, Dec 16, 5:29pm
Roast Veggie & Couscous salad.
Potatoes, Kumara, beetroot, carrots, capsicum, zucchini - anything, in fact.Cut into bite size peices and roast - pop things like capsicum and zucchini in last.Cool slightly.Saute an onion in a little oil and add a teaspoon on curry, stirring to cook a couple of mins.Remove from heat and add to approx 1/2 jar mayonnaise.Make up couscous using hot stock and stand (packet directions).The combine all 3 part together and put onto a serving platter.Nice at room temperature but can also be warm.
PSHow are you kernal?We have booked a 32 day cruise for next year on Pearl - can't wait.

toadfish, Dec 16, 6:06pm
Thats exactly what I do (minus the fruit)I either stir through a commericial salad dressing or balsamic vinegar.. I call it a vegie bin salad... whatever is in the vegie bin.
Last night we had a couple of carrots grated, red capsicum chopped, small tomatoes chopped in wedges, red onion... with a Ricebran oil dressing stirred through it... very nice withh BBQ steak and homemade wedges. (and no lettuce in sight)

geldof, Dec 16, 8:36pm
I just googled 'no lettuce salad' to find some links.heaps there, too many to post.will go back myself to look.

Interestingly my kids prefer the crunch of iceberg lettuce, and wont eat fancy lettuce.

melissarosenz, Dec 16, 9:48pm
Well, there's always the not-quite-Greek-Salad-Greek-Sa-
lad:

Feta cheese, diced fresh tomato, red onion, olive, cucumber, capsicum.

Toss together, drizzle with a bit of olive oil.

Or roast vege salad, add chopped nuts, sesame seeds and pumpkin seeds.

duckmoon, Dec 16, 10:18pm
egg salad, pasta salad, rice salad... roast veges

kernal1, Dec 17, 6:51am
Love your ideas! Many thanks! Lost the 'cooking thing' because of cruises!! Been busy upgrading/replacing things in my home so budget doesn't include a cruise at the moment! Had 2 super holidays in OZ and NI, love being 'retired'! Just panic when I have friends arriving both locally and from overseas for Xmas, not to mention family and I have to provide Xmas food!!
Happy Xmas to you and yours. Heather

lilyfield, Dec 17, 7:51am
cauliflower -lightly cooked,+ bananas in a light curried dressing. half joghurt -half mayonaise.

uli, Jan 1, 6:08am
And you could do the same with fresh cheese of course - so no need for beans .

kernal1, Dec 16, 10:19am
Family don't Like lettuce! Help please for side dishes to replace. Had a tomato/onion one ages ago but not sure how it was made! Love ideas! Many thanks!

juliewn, Dec 16, 12:44pm
Hi. I sometimes make what I call a Chunky Salsa. using fresh in-season veges and fruits. it looks great and can be made to suit what you prefer to eat.

I cut up into bite sized chunks, any of the salad types of veges, other veges, and some fruit. depending on what I have.

I use tomatoes, cucumber, capsicum, young, fresh courgette (they're nice raw too), celery, asparagus (either raw or lightly steamed and chilled), etc. plus pineapple (canned or fresh), kiwifruit, tangelo, orange, persimmon, etc. Add some chopped avocado just before serving.

A few hours in advance - or the day before, I lightly steam some cauliflower and/or broccoli florets, courgettes, scallopini, kumara, potato, etc. etc. then drain, leave till cool, then chill in the fridge.

I assemble everything, toss a light dressing through. pile into a serving dish/platter. and it's done.

Dressings - we like using either freshly squeezed lemon or orange juice, or apple cider vinegar. you can add a dressing of your choice. honey mustard is nice too.

You can also use all steamed veges, toss a dressing through. and you have a warm salad.

gardie, Dec 16, 5:29pm
Roast Veggie & Couscous salad.
Potatoes, Kumara, beetroot, carrots, capsicum, zucchini - anything, in fact.Cut into bite size peices and roast - pop things like capsicum and zucchini in last.Cool slightly.Saute an onion in a little oil and add a teaspoon on curry, stirring to cook a couple of mins.Remove from heat and add to approx 1/2 jar mayonnaise.Make up couscous using hot stock and stand (packet directions).The combine all 3 part together and put onto a serving platter.Nice at room temperature but can also be warm.
PSHow are you kernal!We have booked a 32 day cruise for next year on Pearl - can't wait.

toadfish, Dec 16, 6:06pm
Thats exactly what I do (minus the fruit)I either stir through a commericial salad dressing or balsamic vinegar. I call it a vegie bin salad. whatever is in the vegie bin.
Last night we had a couple of carrots grated, red capsicum chopped, small tomatoes chopped in wedges, red onion. with a Ricebran oil dressing stirred through it. very nice withh BBQ steak and homemade wedges. (and no lettuce in sight)

geldof, Dec 16, 8:36pm
I just googled 'no lettuce salad' to find some links.heaps there, too many to post.will go back myself to look.

Interestingly my kids prefer the crunch of iceberg lettuce, and wont eat fancy lettuce.

melissarosenz, Dec 16, 9:48pm
Well, there's always the not-quite-Greek-Salad-Greek-Sa-
lad:

Feta cheese, diced fresh tomato, red onion, olive, cucumber, capsicum.

Toss together, drizzle with a bit of olive oil.

Or roast vege salad, add chopped nuts, sesame seeds and pumpkin seeds.

duckmoon, Dec 16, 10:18pm
egg salad, pasta salad, rice salad. roast veges

kernal1, Dec 17, 6:51am
Love your ideas! Many thanks! Lost the 'cooking thing' because of cruises! Been busy upgrading/replacing things in my home so budget doesn't include a cruise at the moment! Had 2 super holidays in OZ and NI, love being 'retired'! Just panic when I have friends arriving both locally and from overseas for Xmas, not to mention family and I have to provide Xmas food!
Happy Xmas to you and yours. Heather

bev00, Dec 17, 11:03am
love these ideas

raewyn64, Dec 17, 7:22pm
I am going to do one for Christmas day which I had at a restaurant a while back which is just tomato sliced and sliced motzorella (spelling) and some basil and olive oil. They are just layed in a row on a plate - tomato, cheese, tomato, cheese etc and it was really yum!

lythande1, Dec 17, 7:41pm
Use rocket!

auntlb, Dec 17, 8:50pm
1) Blanched cauliflower and brocolli florets tossed in mint sauce
2) a tin of mandarin pieces - with juice and sliced red onion (to taste)
3) Roasted Kumara and bacon salad with dressing made from sour cream, white vinegar, olive oil, curry powder, salt & pepper

datoofairy, Dec 17, 8:59pm
My favourite summer salad is just a big bowl of chopped red capsicum, drained and rinsed whole kernel corn, cucumber, grated carrot, mung beans and a little grated carrot. Nom nom nom.yummo.

nauru, Dec 18, 2:52am
I'm always asked to make this chickpea salad for family BBQ's and Christmas get togethers.

Curried Chickpea Salad.
1 can chickpeas drained or 2 cups cooked chickpeas
1/2 red onion or 1 spring onion finely chopped
1/2 red pepper finely diced
1 garlic clove finely chopped
salt & pepper to taste
2 tablsp mayonnaise
2 tablsp sour cream
1 teasp curry powder
1/2 teasp gd cumin
1 tablsp fresh coriander chopped.
Mix all ingredients together and put in dish and chill until required.
It is a good salad to make the day before required & chill overnight.
You can spice it too by adding a little chopped chilli or extra spices.

nauru, Dec 18, 2:56am
Also a Tabouleh salad is nice made with couscous instead ofbulgar.