Cooking 2 Chooks .. Advice needed

irish15, Dec 15, 7:08pm
Im intending to cook two chooks first thing xmas morning, as I have a leg of lamb to cook later. I will let them rest for 15 mins then take the meat of them and put onto a plate, now normally I would then cover with tin foil to keep warm but will have to reheat for lunch. My question is the steam will gather under the tinfoil and it becomes quite wet is there a better way to cover the meat. When I reheat will it dry out the meat to much! Just would like chicken meat to be nice!

margyr, Dec 15, 7:19pm
I would cook the leg of lamb first thing and do the chickens so they are ready for lunch rather than re-heating them.

irish15, Dec 15, 7:23pm
Leg of lamb is for lunch as well and that is nice hot.

grandma, Dec 15, 7:24pm
Ditto!

grandma, Dec 15, 7:25pm
Sorry irish15 - our posts crossed.I think it would be easier (and safer) to keep the lamb hot rather than the chickens.It's a real juggling act sometimes, isn't it.

irish15, Dec 15, 7:31pm
getting a bit stressed hahaha but if I have to have cold chicken well so be it. not sure about reheating the chicken I suppose might be ok on xtra low?

pamellie, Dec 15, 8:02pm
Will they not all fit in the oven at the same time? I cooked both lamb and chicken last xmas all in the same oven and it worked well.

245sam, Dec 15, 8:09pm
irish15, keeping a leg of lamb hot is a much easier and safer option than keeping chicken hot or reheating chicken.The cooked lamb could be well-wrapped and placed in a foil-lined chilly bin to keep it hot while the chickens are cooked and 'dismantled', and that would free the oven for cooking the chickens so that they can be served freshly cooked and not reheated.

Another thought is what other equipment you have available e.g. crockpot/slow cooker?:-))

245sam, Dec 15, 8:12pm
Mmmm, I wondered that too and assumed that that option had already been considered - it would, of course, be the easiest option.:-))

irish15, Dec 15, 8:22pm
Plum Pudding in crockpot hahaha. cooking all at once is option never done anything like that. I have a therma wave oven so lamb top or bottom?

pamellie, Dec 15, 10:50pm
I would put the bigger, taller dish on the bottom, with the shelf in the normal position and then the thinner (shorter) one on top and then perhaps swap around if you think is necessary.

irish15, Dec 15, 11:31pm
What temperature pam and do you have yours on thermowave?

asue, Nov 1, 3:49pm
If you are going to reheat chicken for main meal I would definitely throw it out afterwards so you wouldn't have any leftovers. Too dodgey to keep or reheat again.Best option would be lamb first and chickens last as others have said.