Onion Jam or Onion Marmalade

cb14, Dec 14, 9:06am
I'm struggling to find a recipe for this..Can anyone help me please..?

I'm making home made Onion Jam or Marmalade for my family for Christmas presents..Really I actually just wanted to make a nice chutney/jam/marmalade as an extra little gift to throw in with the homemade truffles I am making..

Can anyone please recommend a recipe or a website at least..??

Thanks

245sam, Dec 14, 11:52am
Here's a suggestion for you, cb14:-

http://www.chelsea.co.nz/recipes/195/onion-marmalade.aspx

petal1955, Dec 14, 6:04pm
Here's a selection of recipes

ONION JAM

3 tablespoons butter
4 large onions, sliced
2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup brown malt vinegar
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
Heat butter in large pan, add onions, cook gently for 20 to 30 minutes until onions are very soft and lightly browned. Add sugar, stir to melt sugar, simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally until mixture is thick and caramelized. Add vinegar and simmer uncovered for about 5 minutes until thickened slightly. Stir in the rosemary.

ONION JAM

1 1/2 pounds red onions (about 2 large onions)
1 1/2 pounds yellow onions (about 2 large onions)
3 tablespoons vegetable oil, such as canola
1 1/2 cups balsamic vinegar
salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/4 cup brown sugar

Peel the onions and cut off the ends, then stand each onion on its bottom and slice it through the center, top to bottom. Continue slicing to produce thin, semicircular julienne strips, then cut those into pieces 2 or 3 inches long.

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until they begin to soften; cover the pan, lower the heat, and cook until they are wilted, about 20 to 30 minutes. Remove the lid, increase the heat, and add the vinegar. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the vinegar is reduced by half.

Stir in the salt and pepper, then gradually add the brown sugar, tasting as you go. (Onions have different amounts of natural sugar at different times of the year, so the amount of brown sugar may need to be adjusted. The final flavour should be strongly sweet-and-sour.) Continue cooking the mixture until the jam is thick, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.

Onion Marmalade

6 large onions
1 tsp brown sugar
1 cup beef stock
2-3 tbsp prepared grainy mustard
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
Roughly chop onions and place in a large fry pan with the brown sugar and beef stock.Gently simmer until the stock is evaporated and the onion is golden and caramelised, approx 30-35 mins.If the stock evaporated too quickly add a little water until you achieve the caramel colour.Stir in the mustard and balsamic vinegar and cool.This will keep in a small covered container in the fridge for weeks.

Red Onion Jam Recipe
Also known as Red Onion Marmalade

Ingredients
• 4 large red onions, thinly sliced
• 4 tablespoons oil
• 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
• 1/2 cup brown sugar
• 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
• 1 cinnamon stick
• Salt
• Pepper
Method
1. Lightly saute the onions and garlic in the oil
2. Stir in the sugar, vinegar and cinnamon stick
3. Cook over low heat for 1 hour, stirring occasionally - The jam is ready when the onions are dark, brown & sticky
4. Adjust the seasoning to your taste and to balance the sweetness with the tartness.
Onion Jam is delicious served with cheese or cold cuts.
Enjoy!

Red Onion Jam

4 red onions peeled halved thin sliced
75grm butter
1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons Balsamic vinager
Saute the onions in butter over low heat until soft add sugar and vinager cook 30mins should be thick and syrupy...cool keep in fridge, It is very nice on crackers.

Red Onion Jam

5 red onions
2 Tbsp olive oil
30g brown sugar
50ml red-wine vinegar
Sea salt & black pepper
For the red onion jam, peel and slice onions. Heat oil in saucepan, add onions and cook on low heat for 30min, stirring. Add sugar and vinegar and cook for a further 15min. Season with salt and pepper.
Put aside until required

Red Onion Marmalade

500 g red onions sliced lyonaisse style
3 Tbsp vegetable oil
100 g raw brown sugar
1 Tbsp raspberry vinegar

Method
- Cook onions slowly in the oil and a bit of sugar until caramelised.
- Add the sugar and the vinegar and reduce to a jam–like consistency.
- Cool and store in fridge.
This recipe makes a large batch which can be refrigerated for up to a week. Use with your favourite dish, examples include with steak, served on crackers & cheese or with an antipasto.

cb14, Dec 14, 9:06am
I'm struggling to find a recipe for this.Can anyone help me please.!

I'm making home made Onion Jam or Marmalade for my family for Christmas presents.Really I actually just wanted to make a nice chutney/jam/marmalade as an extra little gift to throw in with the homemade truffles I am making.

Can anyone please recommend a recipe or a website at least.!

Thanks

245sam, Dec 14, 11:52am
Here's a suggestion for you, cb14:-

http://www.chelsea.co.nz/recipes/195/onion-marmalade.aspx

petal1955, Dec 14, 6:04pm
Here's a selection of recipes

ONION JAM

3 tablespoons butter
4 large onions, sliced
2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup brown malt vinegar
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
Heat butter in large pan, add onions, cook gently for 20 to 30 minutes until onions are very soft and lightly browned. Add sugar, stir to melt sugar, simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally until mixture is thick and caramelized. Add vinegar and simmer uncovered for about 5 minutes until thickened slightly. Stir in the rosemary.

ONION JAM

1 1/2 pounds red onions (about 2 large onions)
1 1/2 pounds yellow onions (about 2 large onions)
3 tablespoons vegetable oil, such as canola
1 1/2 cups balsamic vinegar
salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/4 cup brown sugar

Peel the onions and cut off the ends, then stand each onion on its bottom and slice it through the center, top to bottom. Continue slicing to produce thin, semicircular julienne strips, then cut those into pieces 2 or 3 inches long.

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until they begin to soften; cover the pan, lower the heat, and cook until they are wilted, about 20 to 30 minutes. Remove the lid, increase the heat, and add the vinegar. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the vinegar is reduced by half.

Stir in the salt and pepper, then gradually add the brown sugar, tasting as you go. (Onions have different amounts of natural sugar at different times of the year, so the amount of brown sugar may need to be adjusted. The final flavour should be strongly sweet-and-sour.) Continue cooking the mixture until the jam is thick, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.

Onion Marmalade

6 large onions
1 tsp brown sugar
1 cup beef stock
2-3 tbsp prepared grainy mustard
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
Roughly chop onions and place in a large fry pan with the brown sugar and beef stock.Gently simmer until the stock is evaporated and the onion is golden and caramelised, approx 30-35 mins.If the stock evaporated too quickly add a little water until you achieve the caramel colour.Stir in the mustard and balsamic vinegar and cool.This will keep in a small covered container in the fridge for weeks.

Red Onion Jam Recipe
Also known as Red Onion Marmalade

Ingredients
• 4 large red onions, thinly sliced
• 4 tablespoons oil
• 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
• 1/2 cup brown sugar
• 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
• 1 cinnamon stick
• Salt
• Pepper
Method
1. Lightly saute the onions and garlic in the oil
2. Stir in the sugar, vinegar and cinnamon stick
3. Cook over low heat for 1 hour, stirring occasionally - The jam is ready when the onions are dark, brown & sticky
4. Adjust the seasoning to your taste and to balance the sweetness with the tartness.
Onion Jam is delicious served with cheese or cold cuts.
Enjoy!

Red Onion Jam

4 red onions peeled halved thin sliced
75grm butter
1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons Balsamic vinager
Saute the onions in butter over low heat until soft add sugar and vinager cook 30mins should be thick and syrupy.cool keep in fridge, It is very nice on crackers.

Red Onion Jam

5 red onions
2 Tbsp olive oil
30g brown sugar
50ml red-wine vinegar
Sea salt & black pepper
For the red onion jam, peel and slice onions. Heat oil in saucepan, add onions and cook on low heat for 30min, stirring. Add sugar and vinegar and cook for a further 15min. Season with salt and pepper.
Put aside until required

Red Onion Marmalade

500 g red onions sliced lyonaisse style
3 Tbsp vegetable oil
100 g raw brown sugar
1 Tbsp raspberry vinegar

Method
- Cook onions slowly in the oil and a bit of sugar until caramelised.
- Add the sugar and the vinegar and reduce to a jam–like consistency.
- Cool and store in fridge.
This recipe makes a large batch which can be refrigerated for up to a week. Use with your favourite dish, examples include with steak, served on crackers & cheese or with an antipasto.

bev00, Dec 15, 11:38am
great Chrissy gifts