Which Prawns???

fee1965, Dec 14, 5:42am
I am making a cold food platter and wanna have prawns and a nice dip on it.Wanna use prawns with tails, do I buy raw and cook ealrier in the day or if i buy already cooked (frozen) do i just thaw em out and serve like that or do they also need to be cooked again?
I have used raw ones before but i never seem to get them sweet and fleshy, maybe i am not cooking long enough?

whiteheron1, Dec 14, 7:07am
probably over cooking them mate

carriebradshaw, Dec 14, 7:24am
With the raw ones,you only need to cook them until they turn pink and then get them out of the pan.Hardly takes any time at all.
Nothing worse than overcooked prawns.

illusion_, Oct 27, 4:45pm
If they are "already cooked" when you buy them, do NOT put them anywhere near any heat again. They'll toughen up badly.

Preferably buy raw ones (frozen ones are fine) and (thaw then) cook them in a hot pan with a LITTLE butter. As above, this doesnt take long at all. Maybe 15 to 20 seconds on each side depending on the heat. UNDERCOOK rather than overcook. Just do a few, even one at a time if you wish, to try so you get it right. You'll catch on quick as to how a perfect one should look. Should be white/pink with bright pink/red tails, JUST cooked through, and really soft and juicy to eat.
You CAN do this the day before if kept in the fridge WELL COVERED, but on the day is better still.