Panforte, does anyone have a reasonable recipe

dna187, Dec 14, 2:52am
for one of these, i love these, only ever tried a couple of slices when went visiting or where can i buy them from. Is there one i could make without a zillion ingredients. thanks

elliehen, Dec 14, 3:25am
Valentino, thanks.I need one too.

Poster #1, look at #173 too because it tells you how to remove from pan and store.

elliehen, Dec 14, 4:30am
Bumping for panforte because it's such a festive Christmas goodie.

zambesi2, Dec 14, 4:52am
Just made mine today.Have used the NZ House and Garden recipe for years. NO FAIL.Easy peasy!

miffycat1, Dec 14, 6:00am
Would you mind posting the recipe please
Thanks

elliehen, Dec 14, 8:19am
Bumping for zambesi2's recipe.

kiwitrish, Dec 14, 10:17pm
Bump from me too.

craig04, Dec 15, 1:07am
I have this recipe for Siennese Pan Forte from an old Cadbury cookbook. It's very nice and I've made it successfully on a few occasions now.

125g almonds - toasted
100g hazelnuts - toasted
1/4 cup chopped glace pineapple (crystallised is fine)
1/4 cup chopped glace apricots (dried is fine)
1/3 cup mixed peel
1/2 cup plain flour
1/4 cup cocoa (dutch cocoa if you can find it)
1/3 cup manuka honey
1/2 cup brown sugar

Roughly chop nuts and place in bowl with fruit and peel. Sift flour and cocoa and add to fruit and nut mixture - stirring well to combine. Place honey and sugar in a small saucepan and stir over a low heat until sugar is dissolved. Bring to the boil without stirring, then reduce the heat and cook for 5mins, uncovered. Quickly stir the hot honey mixture into the fruit and nut mixture. Press the mixture into a lined 20cm springform tin and bake for 25mins at 160deg. Leave in the pan overnight before removing carefully. Dust liberally with icing sugar before serving. Enjoy!

ETA: Do not keep in fridge - it will keep very well for several weeks wrapped in tinfoil in an airtight container

elliehen, Dec 15, 2:46am
Thanks Kate - or Craig ;)

zambesi2, Dec 15, 4:29am
Sorry I haven't been on the board for last few days, but here goes:-
NZ House + Garden Panforte

140 grams hazelnuts, toasted + skins rubbed off
140 grams blanched almonds, toasted
150 grams raisins
150 grams mixed peel or glace citron
75 grams crystallised pineapple chopped( I used ginger)
110 g flour
2 teaspoons cocoa
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground white pepper
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 cup liquid honey
150 g caster sugar.
Method:-
Preheat oven to 180o C. Combine all ingredients except honey and sugar in a large bowl. Place honey and sugar in a heavy based pan and stir over a low heat without boiling until sugar dissolves (about 10-15 minutes).
Raise heat until bubbling and cook just until a drop of mixture forms a soft ball in cold water.
Add at once to the bowl and mix quickly until no flour is visible. Mixture will be very sticky. Smooth into greased and lined 24 cm springform cake tin and bake 25-30 minutes. Cool in tin, then wrap well.
The panforte will keep for about a month.
T serve:- dust thin wedges with icing sugar.
I always get rave reviews when I serve this with coffee or drinks.
I've also made into smaller ones and given away as gifts.
Try it - It's easy peasy!
ENJOY!

elliehen, Dec 15, 4:37am
zambesi2 - many thanks!

Christmas isn't Christmas without panforte, and it's such a chocolate-y alternative to mince pies and shortbread.

zambesi2, Dec 15, 4:40am
Less fuss than a actual Xmas cake too.I find that people prefer this to the Xmas cake.Sorry I was late in posting it.It's really easy to make, so have a go!

zambesi2, Dec 15, 6:44am
Bumping up for miffycat.