HELP!!!Xmas Trifle

demonandfairy, Dec 12, 9:02am
this is my first xmas where Im not going to the in laws or parents for a xmas meal and I really want trifle. have never made it,have only had it twice and need a recipe a blind monkey could follow(yes I am that bad!)

so if anyone pretty please has an easy alcohol free trifle recipe Id love ya forever

baalamb, Dec 12, 9:27am
I would suggest easiest way for a beginner, would be to buy a psonge roll (the jam filled one). Slice it about 2 cms thick, layer in a bowl. Otherwise buy trifle sponge and dab with jam and layer in bowl. Drain a can of fruit salad and spread across sponge, then there are various ways from here - can either pour over some fizzy drink (raspberry or fanta is good. Be generous so the sponge gets quite soggy. OR can make up a jelly as per directions and pour over sponge OR use the syrup from the fruit salad. If you use the jelly option leave it to set (Need to start making it earlier than the other options. Next make up about a litre of custard (or buy the ready made stuff) If making your own let it cool quite a bit before pouring over. Spread across the sponge, chill infridge. Decorate with whipped cream if you want. Real easy!

baalamb, Dec 12, 9:31am
Should have mentioned, it is really important to make the sponge very moist - there is nothing worse than a dry trifle! Most times when I make it I am concerned taht this time I really have added far too much liquid, but have never managed to yet! Add as much as you think you should, then add another slosh for luck! (Same goes if you decide to make an alcoholic one, just add your sherry as well as the fruit juice! And then add an extra slosh of that too!!)

cookessentials, Dec 12, 9:33am
For an old English Trifle. You will need some sponge ( you can buy a small unfilled sponge from the supermarket) a day old or a day or two old is better as fresh sponge is quite soft and tends to break apart easily. Now, you can split the sponge in half and spread each half generously with jam ( raspberry,plum or strawberry, or even apricot if you wish) sandwich together and cut into pieces. Place the sponge pieces into a trifle bowl ( or a largish glass bowl will do) to soften the sponge a little,you can use a little orange juice, just gently spoon it over, using a teaspoon, to wet lightly, not drown it and make it soggy. You can then place the fruit of your choice over the top. You can used canned peaches in juice or apricots. Drain them well and place into the bowl over the top of the sponge.
You can cover and chill in the fridge while you make thejelly. Use which ever flavour jelly you like,although, better stick to citrus types like lemon or orange or even pineapple. Make the jelly according the instructions and let it cool before you pour gentlyover the fruit and sponge. Once it has cooled, pop it in the fridge to set well and make the custard. You will want the custard reasonably thick, but not stodgy. Once the custard is made, let it cool some before pouring over the fruit jelly and sponge. Let it set and cool at room temp and then cover and refrigerate till cool and set well. You then need to whip cream...in this heat, do this when its cool and dont whip it for too long as it wont take long for it to turn to butter! You want it firm enough to be able to spread over the custard. Some people like to top the trifle with glace cherries, or you can use grated chocolate.You will find if you make it the day before required that the taste will improve. Just leave adding the grated chocolate and/or cherries until just before serving.

demonandfairy, Dec 12, 10:56am
can i buy the sponge in advance leave it for a day or two then freeze it?? I dont want to face the supermarket a few days before xmas and i have no idea how to make a sponge!(Im not a very good cook/baker)

lost-in-oz, Dec 12, 12:12pm
I just get the trifle sponge from the supermarket.Break it into a deep bowl.Pour over some juice from tinned fruit that has had some sherry added (to your taste, leave it out if you want).Then I place the fruit on top of the soaked sponge.
Make a thickish custard (use milk and custard powder) and pour over the sponge and fruit.Leave to cool.
Spread sweetened whipped cream over the top and decorate with fruit.

Have to add....I detest jelly with my trifles!

lost-in-oz, Dec 12, 12:13pm
And yes you can just purchase the sponge from the stupidmarket and then place in freezer straight away.

cookessentials, Dec 12, 6:02pm
Absolutley. Just pop it in the freezer. Dont worry yourself about making a sponge right now, but in the new year, let me know when you are ready and I will put up a great recipe for a sponge that you can try.You will find that the more things you try, the more confidence you will gain and your cooking will just get better and better.

cgvl, Dec 12, 10:25pm
Lots of ways to make trifle, many different variations one being Tiramasu.
Mine:
1 Trifle sponge
Jam
Tinned peaches, drained and juice reserved
Sherry
ginger ale or lemonade.
Made custard
cream
decorations.

Spread top of sponge with jam. Cut to fit 1 layer on bottom of bowl, add a layer of the peaches, another layer of trifle sponge, continue until bowl is 3/4 full. ending with a sponge layer jam side down.

Using the reserved juice, some sherry (if desired) and either the ginger ale or lemonade, make up to around 2 cups of liquid. Pour this mix over the trifle, making sure it is well soaked. I use a knife to make sure the liquid gets into the middle and bottom of bowl.

Leave to steep for around 8 hours or overnight, the longer the better.

Make up custard, slightly thicker than a pouring custard. Pour this over the trifle, again using a knife or skewer to get it down the sides of the trifle. Leave to set.

Cover custard with whipped cream and decorate as desired.

Variations include using jelly crystals, chocolate sponge, and some of the others mentioned. This is an old family favourite and one which my mother has to make in advance or my brother gives a helping hand to the amount of sherry that goes in .... the more the better in his opinion lol.

cgvl, Oct 21, 6:58pm
Use ginger ale if not using Sherry
Didn't notice your comment re alcohol free