Colouring Chocolate

fifie, Dec 12, 4:22am
Anyone know if i can colour white melted chocolate green? i would imagine you can't use ordinary water based food colouring as it will cease the choc up what do i use. Making a choc and rice bubble xmas tree with little sweets on it for the kids and would like to colour it.

raewyn64, Dec 12, 4:36am
yes you can colour it. You have to buy a green powder colouring which you add to the melted chocolate - Spotlight might have some as they have chocolate making items for sale.
If I remember from my chocolate classes you can't use a liquid colour as it will class with the chocolate.

paghan, Dec 12, 4:36am
Spotlight have coloured powder, have a look on here too there are a few people that sell it

robyn35, Dec 12, 7:40am
I have been using normal supermarket liquid food colouring to colour white chocolate with no problems at all.I put a drop or two of colouring and then add the chocolate and melt over a pot of water until just soft, then beat well.Have made several different coloured white chocolate lego blocks for a cake.

fifie, Dec 12, 7:58am
Thanks, will try my colouring and see what happens if that fails will get some powder.

ribzuba, Dec 12, 9:07am
i used to work as a chocolatier...it depends on if you are using good quality or not as to whether you can use liquid (generally a no no) i would only use powder colouring, cake powder colour works just as well as a special one for chocolates so whatever is available to you

sikofstuf, Dec 12, 9:21am
or you can buy this stuff from kiwi cakes called flo coat- it helps you use a gel colour into chocolate. I just did a wedding cake yesterday that was held up by chocolate elephants- and each one was painted with gold lustre diluted in alcohol- a drop of flo coat, and it went on like magic! That stuff is brilliant for anything with chocolate- well worth the $7 odd that it is!

myday-mystyle, Dec 12, 6:57pm
x1
I made these 3weeks ago for birthday and I got powders from occassioncakes on here.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/littlecuteone/5210741023/

meegs35, Oct 25, 10:06pm
Wow they look amazing. Did you have molds? Ad if you did where did you get them from?