Masterchef on TV1 - Black Forest Gateau

Page 1 / 9
bonnie88, Aug 24, 6:53am
Awww, I soooooo want some.

rainrain1, Aug 24, 6:55am
I know ...didn't it make your mouth water :-)

245sam, Aug 24, 7:35am
and for anyone who feels inclined to try making the cake, the recipe for it can be found at:-

http://www.masterchef.com.au/black-forest-cake.htm

katalin2, Aug 24, 7:55am
Looks lovely but I would never go to that much trouble- I make the sponge, cut it in 3, open a jar of cherries in brandy that I do every year, sprinkle each layer with the cherry flavoured brandy, use my olive pitter to stone the cherries, put some in each layer, make a big lot of chocolate ganache and sandwich them all together with the ganache and cover it with the ganache; decorate the top with more cherries. My mum used to make this in a ring tin and fill the middle with whipped cream- looked stunning, she was famous for this cake and often made it for Xmas presents for family friends.

duckmoon, Aug 24, 9:36am
I am having people over for dinner on Saturday - had planned sticky toffe pudding... but now I am going to do Black Forest Gateau...

Yum

waswoods, Aug 24, 10:13am
If you do go to that link just be aware that the winner's name is on it

When I do one, I just sandwich a chocolate cake together with cream and drained tinned cherries and cover with whatever's handy at the time - cream, choclate icing, ganache!

uli, Aug 25, 6:23am
Great - unfortunately it has nothing to do with an original Black Forest Cake - which I do know how to make LOL - as I grew up there ...

I would recommend katalin2's recipe - as it is much closer to the real thing than this aberration ...

davidt4, Aug 25, 6:30am
Yeah, that Masterchef cake was far too confused, with the praline and ganache and three kinds of cherries.

I thought a Black Forest Cake had kirsch, not brandy.Is that right uli?

lizab, Aug 25, 6:45am
I would defo think that a proper Black Forest Gateaux would have kirsch and not brandy! The masterchef one did look very delish!! In the UK, my mum used to buy a frozen gateaux as a special birthday dessert - us kids used to love it - I'd probably think it was rank now!! lol

uli, Aug 25, 9:02am
Yep - kirsch of course LOL :)
And definitely a "proper" outside - you never see the layers ... terrible!!!

katalin2, Aug 26, 5:38am
Uli- my mum came from pretty close to where you come from- she actually used to make her own kirsch as well- using the sediment from the grapes after making wine..... the kirsch was used for the jars of "preserved" cherriesespecially for this cake-brings back memories.....

davidt4, Aug 26, 5:46am
That's interesting.I have never heard of kirsch being made from anything other than cherries.

The distillation of wine sediment normally results in grappa or marc.Is there a German equivalent?

uli, Aug 26, 6:14am
Yeah - it is a bit of a "sacrilege" to see sh*t like this being called "Black Forest whatever"...

edited to say - that you of course never make "kirsch" from anything else than cherries. So to make "kirsch" from the residues of grapes would not work ... sorry!

antoniab, Aug 26, 6:36am
Lol we used to buy frozen gateaux from Icelands in the UK for people bdays in that flat - only about £4!

uli, Aug 26, 6:45am
You realize that "gateaux" is french for the German word "Torte"...

... for which there is no english translation - simply because english people never made torte or gateaux LOL :)

They made their terrible scones or muffins instead LOL ... :)

katalin2, Aug 26, 8:15am
well by the time the alcohol had macerated with the cherries for a few months it certainly tasted no different than using expensive kirsch- why buy it when you can make it. I am not here to argue about the finer points of it- I am just saying my mum's "Black forest Chocolate Cake" ( not that she called it that- the appreciative people who ate it named it) was a cake to die for....

lizab, Aug 26, 8:29am
she used to buy Vienetta's aswell - remember those??!!! They were really yum, until I cut myself a slice while completely bladdered one night and woke up the next morning to see the slice still sitting on a plate beside my bed and although it was melted, it had kept it's shape completely!!! Very weird dessert and I was very hungover!! lol

lizab, Aug 26, 8:34am
I always presumed that torte meant a cake in lots of layers, like a sachertorte. Biting my tongue on your scones and muffins comment :|

lizab, Aug 26, 8:54am
actually I don't think it is a Sachertorte now I think about it - I can picture a cake in about 10 or more layers and am sure torte is in the name somewhere??? ho hum - do we really care anyway LOL

elliehen, Aug 26, 9:06am
lizab, you're right, most of us don't :)

So-called 'authenticity' is a pedantic notion which has just about had its day in the culinary world.

cookessentials, Aug 26, 9:13am
Agreed...I dont think it was EVER said that the torte made on Masterchef was traditional...but of course, there will always be those who rip everything to shreds around here.

macsclan, Aug 26, 8:31pm
Just be careful when you visit this sight, the results are also on display so if you don't want to know the winner? get someone else to down load the recipe.

darlingmole, Aug 26, 8:54pm
how do you get the stones out of the cherries ... sounds like a bit of a performance?I'm going to be making brandied fruit this year - for the family and as gifts - so I'd like the cherries to look as whole as possible (thanks for any ideas)

davidt4, Aug 26, 9:02pm
Buy a little cherry pitter.They are also useful for pitting small olives.

lizab, Aug 26, 9:03pm
Wish they wouldn't do that!!