Pizza in a hooded BBQ - ideas and suggestions

Page 1 / 2
wron, Jan 2, 10:03am
After successfully cooking Banana prawns at Christmas and the Beer can chicken tonight - after loads of help here - this is my next project. I'm going to make the dough in my old Panasonic breadmaker but wondered about everyone's BBQ experiences. Who's put a pizza stone on top of the grill bars or hot plate and heated it up before adding the prepared pizza? Or put a prepared pizza directly onto the grill bars or hot plate? Any problems / suggestions please? Size, temp and time? Favourite toppings? Thanks.

michelle313, Jan 2, 8:15pm
I can't help but will watch with interest as I've been trying to convince hubby to do this for ages.:-)

valentino, Jan 2, 9:42pm
Haven't done the pizza stone on BBQ yet but have done some very simple basic Pizzas as given in the thread "BBQ recipes...."

Imagine to imitate the normal electric oven scenario... like getting the BBQ to it's hottest temp possible just like the oven and heating the stone for the same period of time..... then placing the pizza on the heated stone and cook along similar times.

Some oven temps required are normally at it's hottest point around 250'C plus wheras the BBQ hottest point without doing damage to the Hooded BBQ can be more hence the thought of using a digital Thermometer in checking temps prior by inserting the thermometer rod through the vents whilst knobs are on high or adjusted to suit for required temp.......

On my six burner for example, burners 2 and 5 on high is 200'C, same on medium is about 180'C, these temps are at the upper rack or rotsserie level, which is hotter than in the middle above 3 and 4 burners that are not on.

To get to 250'C, one imagine to have 2 and 5 on high plus 1 and 6 on medium to high, this reading came at about 230'C which could indicate to have burners 3 and 4 on high instead of 1 and 6. Also to remove the hotplates but keep the grill bar plates in the BBQ....

Hopes this helps in the overall thoughts re pizzas in BBQ using a stone.

I do know that possibly one or a couple of others have done this stone thing in the BBQ and hopefully they are around....

Have a Wonderful New Year Wron.... Cheers.

wron, Jan 2, 11:48pm
Thanks for that Valentino, very interesting. I don't have a probe like your one but assumed that the temp at the top is higher, not sure about swirling currents inside the hood - see my recent posting in Beer Can Chicken (on Page1), we used to have a largish brick pottery kiln so I'm familiar with flame and heat patterns. My Broil King BBQ is able to go to very high temps - for cleaning like a pyromatic electric oven - which would obviously instantly incinerate the pizza! It didn't come with a conventional hotplate but I bought one 'cause I've always had one before and use it about half the time.
I'm hoping that others will respond and and add to this thread, hopefully those with purpose built pizza ovens and fisher who's so knowledgeable and helpful. Thanks.

wron, Jan 3, 6:33am
Popping back to P1, hoping fisher and other experts will notice!

valentino, Jan 3, 11:08pm
wron wrote:
we used to have a largish brick pottery kiln so I'm familiar with flame and heat patterns. My Broil King BBQ is able to go to very high temps - quote]

This reminds me of the proper Baker's Bread Oven..... naturally lower heat wise but gee wizzz, does fantastic baking of breads.

Imagine same as you noted with the kiln..... Hmmm wondering if "juliewn" is around, I think it was her whom noted cooking in an outside oven...

Cheers.

wron, Jan 4, 3:32am
She could be away on holiday - I'll bump it everynow and then, thanks.

valentino, Jan 22, 3:23am
Bumping this for an enquiry plus this unfinished one.

Anybody done this yet.

And if so, your thoughts.

Cheers.

valentino, Jan 22, 3:31am
Gosh, I may need to see if the Pizza tone will fit into my BBQ....

May need to look at a smaller stone Hmmmmm.

Oh well, have to measure this bit firstly then think about it.

Cheers.

Via editing, My 38cm will fit in nicely with a little bit of room to spare across wise.

sarahj1, Dec 9, 6:03am
Make my own dough, put first pizza on an old metal oven tray that I keep just for use on BBQ (it gets black and trashed by the high temps).
Crank the Weber (gas) up with all burners on full til it reaches about 500C then turn them down to medium.Temperature varies a bit with opening the lid, but basically, keep it hot, hot, hot!
They cook very quickly 5-10 minutes tops. i just check the underside of the bottom to make sure it's starting to get slightly brown and crispy, then I know its done.
While the first is cooking I roll out and top the second and it's ready to slap in when I take the first out.
Then we wolf down the first one while the second cooks, then repeat for the third, fourth etc etc.....mmmmmm

sarahj1, Dec 9, 6:05am
that temp of course is meant to be 500F - about 260C

leanne132, Dec 9, 6:49am
Where use the pizza stone on BBQ, just like we use in the oven. temps the same as oven, we wet the stone and put pizza on. takes about 10 - 15 mins.

hollypc, Dec 9, 8:45am
I made a pizza on my pizza stone in BBQ worked well, just took a bit to sort out what be the best temp, first one was to hot an burnt bottom .Was so yummy though

hollypc, Dec 9, 8:47am
The stone didnt actually need to long to heat.

charlieb2, Dec 9, 9:03am
gosh, thats a big bump wron

wron, Dec 9, 9:33am
Hi charlie, I bumped for sarah 1955!Great to see other here - wonder if valentino will notice!! Cheers

fisher, Dec 9, 10:21am
Oks... I'm back from holidays in Raro hahahahahaha opps that was january...
Ok's for those that DON'T have a pizza stone here's my idea..
Hooded BBQ of course and get it cranking hot.. Place your prepared pizza on an "old" oven slide you probably will only use for Bbq's from now on... Place the slide directly over the grill portion of the bbq and turn down the elements to med underneath.. Leave for half the cooking time (you will need to check every few minutes so as to know for next time) and then remove the slide and place it on an elevated cake rack on top of the bbq plate side and crank up the heat again checking for doneness but not burnt consistency..
Now I havent actually done this but was just proffering my idea as a solution.. For the first one (the mother in laws one hehehehehe) dont use a lot of filling that could become wasteful if it all turns to custard and burns... beer in hand and a watchful eye is the order of the day... maybe best you girls do it as us guys can easily be distracted by fishing talk or football and such mundane manly things:}}..
Go on ..someone try it and let us all know.. :}

sarahj1, Dec 10, 3:17am
We do it about once every couple of months - it makes fantastic pizza.the only drawback is you can only cook one at a time so the cook (muggins here!) spends their dinner jumping up and down from the table taking pizzas on and off the BBQ.they are freaking hot when they come off so warn any kids present!

ambr, Dec 10, 8:22am
Went to a pizza bbq (done in a covered one) in the US.Two large old oven trays, were alternatedand individual small bases were pre made (3 to the tray), A variety of toppings and sauces were laid out...for all the guests to put their own together... was very successful and a great alternative to a bbq for a large gathering. Was really interactive and they cooked real fast... a few minutes max

wron, Dec 12, 8:58am
Sarah - do you have a burner on underneath when you pop the pizza in, or just on the opposite side - indirectly doing the heating?
Great idea fisher - bet your mother in law is really very nice!!!!!

sarahj1, Dec 12, 11:27pm
I leave all the burners on, so yes there is direct heat underneath - they cook fast - occassionally the bottom starts to burn before I feel the top is quite cooked, so in that case I will turn off the middle burner or trun them all down but generally I leave them all on.

wron, Jan 2, 10:03am
After successfully cooking Banana prawns at Christmas and the Beer can chicken tonight - after loads of help here - this is my next project. I'm going to make the dough in my old Panasonic breadmaker but wondered about everyone's BBQ experiences. Who's put a pizza stone on top of the grill bars or hot plate and heated it up before adding the prepared pizza! Or put a prepared pizza directly onto the grill bars or hot plate! Any problems / suggestions please! Size, temp and time! Favourite toppings! Thanks.

michelle313, Jan 2, 8:15pm
I can't help but will watch with interest as I've been trying to convince hubby to do this for ages.:-)

valentino, Jan 2, 9:42pm
Haven't done the pizza stone on BBQ yet but have done some very simple basic Pizzas as given in the thread "BBQ recipes."

Imagine to imitate the normal electric oven scenario. like getting the BBQ to it's hottest temp possible just like the oven and heating the stone for the same period of time. then placing the pizza on the heated stone and cook along similar times.

Some oven temps required are normally at it's hottest point around 250'C plus wheras the BBQ hottest point without doing damage to the Hooded BBQ can be more hence the thought of using a digital Thermometer in checking temps prior by inserting the thermometer rod through the vents whilst knobs are on high or adjusted to suit for required temp.

On my six burner for example, burners 2 and 5 on high is 200'C, same on medium is about 180'C, these temps are at the upper rack or rotsserie level, which is hotter than in the middle above 3 and 4 burners that are not on.

To get to 250'C, one imagine to have 2 and 5 on high plus 1 and 6 on medium to high, this reading came at about 230'C which could indicate to have burners 3 and 4 on high instead of 1 and 6. Also to remove the hotplates but keep the grill bar plates in the BBQ.

Hopes this helps in the overall thoughts re pizzas in BBQ using a stone.

I do know that possibly one or a couple of others have done this stone thing in the BBQ and hopefully they are around.

Have a Wonderful New Year Wron. Cheers.

wron, Jan 2, 11:48pm
Thanks for that Valentino, very interesting. I don't have a probe like your one but assumed that the temp at the top is higher, not sure about swirling currents inside the hood - see my recent posting in Beer Can Chicken (on Page1), we used to have a largish brick pottery kiln so I'm familiar with flame and heat patterns. My Broil King BBQ is able to go to very high temps - for cleaning like a pyromatic electric oven - which would obviously instantly incinerate the pizza! It didn't come with a conventional hotplate but I bought one 'cause I've always had one before and use it about half the time.
I'm hoping that others will respond and and add to this thread, hopefully those with purpose built pizza ovens and fisher who's so knowledgeable and helpful. Thanks.