Langbein's strawberry cloud dessert - HELP!!

cillamaria, Dec 9, 4:53am
Hello - have made it and serving tonight - do you serve it straight from the freezer or does it need to rest a little beforehand? The book just says freeze for 4 hours and then use warm knife to cut - so....can I serve it straight from the freezer? TA!!!

elliehen, Dec 9, 5:01am
From the original thread.Hope this helps :)

lindylambchops1, Dec 9, 5:28am
I made this a few nights ago but didn't read the recipe advising to freeze for 4 hours!It was delicious just refrigerated!BTW....I didn't make the base either.It ended up as a strawberry mousse.Quite delicious!Will certainly make the correct version soon.Getting plenty of strawberries from the garden right now!;)

cillamaria, Dec 9, 5:34am
thank you so much!I was going to take it out an hour or so in advance so am glad to haev posted! Looks good...smells good - looking forward to it

uli, Dec 9, 5:58am
This is the "strawberry cloud" I make:

Strawberry Cloud Dessert Recipe

* 6 egg whites
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* pinch cream of tartar
* 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
* 4 cups strawberries, washed, hulled, sliced, and sweetened
* 2 cups whipping cream, whipped, or 16 ounces whipped topping

Preparation:
Beat egg whites until foamy; add salt and cream of tartar. Beat until mixture forms soft peaks, about 5 minutes.

Beat in sugar, a tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition to dissolve before adding more. Beating will take 25 to 30 minutes.

Line a large baking sheet with brown paper or parchment paper. Spoon meringue into 2 even mounds on paper, then spread to make 2 squares, 8x8 inches each.

Bake at 250° for 1 hour. Turn heat off, but don't open the door and don't remove meringues. Let meringues stay in the closed oven for 8 hours. Meringue squares should be very dry.

Peel paper from meringues. Spread each square with a generous layer of whipped cream. Chill for 4 to 6 hours, or overnight. Put one square on a serving plate; top with half of the strawberries. Place the second square over the layer of strawberries and top with remaining strawberries. Cut into squares with a sharp knife.

http://southernfood.about.com/od/strawberries/r/bl40308h.htm

sarahj1, Dec 9, 6:07am
Made it and it was nice but incredibly sweet - will try reducing the amount of sugar next time. Just sliced straight from the freezer - it melts quickly.

elliehen, Dec 9, 7:23am
Do you eat it yourself?How many carbs per 'square'?

poohbearfan3, Dec 9, 10:59am
I also found it quite sweet when I made it, so next time I'll also put in less sugar.It is yummy though!!!

gardie, Dec 17, 4:21am
Making it now and found it very sweet too - have added another tablespoon lemon and now its fine.About to go put into the tin.

jeanette12, Dec 18, 3:40am
I made this too but found if you left it out of the freezer for too long it started to melt, and it was also a bit too sweet, so you could use less sugar I don't think I will bother making it again

gardie, Dec 18, 9:09am
We had ours tonight - its unlikely that I would make it again although it is quite a cheap dessert that makes quite a lot (especially when we have strawberries in the garden).Got soft very quick, i quickly cut what was needed then rewrapped and popped the rest back into the freezer.I reckon about 1/2 - 3/4 cup sugar would be enough - even with the extra lemon juice I did find this quite sweet.Family didn't complain though.

jaky, Dec 18, 9:53am
I made it last week & was surprised that both my kids hated it. Even my mum, hubby & friend that I made try it didn't think much of it. Good old dad that eats anything thought it was yum lol.

elliehen, Dec 18, 10:11am
Thanks for the critiques.All the comments have put me right off trying it.

I won't even try uli's version at Post #5 because it sounds almost identical.

kabbo, Dec 19, 3:42am
hmmm... interesting thread........i am supposed to be making this for christmas day!!! will still try it though.

ma51, Dec 19, 3:47am
I made it and won't make it again. My opinion yuck!

gardie, Dec 19, 4:16am
Kabbo - My family enjoyed it - I just found it a little sweet, loved the idea and flavour.I think you could adjust quantities a little.It is so easy and looks so grand.I wonder about making it with a less sweet berry, eg boysenberries.The only reason I probably won't make it again is that I'm somewhat of a cook and like to try lots of different things.

jaky, Dec 19, 5:48am
I was going to try it one more time with either fresh raspberries or tinned boysenberries.

cillamaria, Dec 19, 8:01am
I agree - really sweet - nice to try though - and it was quite light and refreshing - found the base quite hard to cut through even though the meringuey part was soft - could be my technique though!Was really exciting to see the strawberries whip into that pink fluffy mess but all in all I prefer pav ;-))So thankful to have written in though - as I was going to leave it out and it would have melted in seconds!

uli, Dec 19, 8:14am
Why not make a pavlova instead - not much different and the same ingredients :)

elliehen, Dec 19, 11:02am
Do you enjoy your version of Strawberry Cloud?Do you make it often?

uli, Dec 19, 5:55pm
I make it maybe once every 2 years (if I need a dessert for a dinner party) - it is basically a meringue filled with cream and berries. You can go and buy the meringue too - and I can't see why you can't adjust the amount of sugar rather than hog the recipe too closely.

mackenzie2, Dec 19, 6:59pm
Hi all, I had it in the weekend, I must say I didn't like it at all, the base was nice, but the top was 'Blurk"

katalin2, Nov 18, 3:03am
First time I made it followed the recipe- far too sweet as others have already said. Made it over the weekend using my thawed and drained frozen plums with half quantity of sugar- topped it with a chocolate ganache topping- it was a huge success. The tartness of the plums made it a more refreshing taste than the strawberries. Will be making it for Xmas day at the family's request.