My daughter wants to learn to cook she is 8

amanda_simonp, Dec 7, 7:14pm
so I really want to actually teaching her - instead of just stirring the bowls if you know what I mean.But I want to do her up a nice bundle of bits for her.She already has an apron.I was going to get her own recipe book to start.Any ideas please.Thank you.

lilyfield, Dec 7, 7:39pm
If you have the space-- set her up with her own little cupboard. filled with wooden spoons- smallish pots- one or two baking tins and a knife, some pot mitts, wipers a mixing bowl spatula. So its hers- and she learns to look after the equipment. Also you must teach her to tidy up after herself.

juliewn, Dec 7, 8:10pm
Hi.. children love learning how to cook.. a suggestion to give her.. a blank page hard-cover book that she can write down the recipes she makes with you.. it'll become her very own heirloom recipe book that one day she can use to teach her own kids/grand-kids to cook.. and those recipes will never be lost..

She can date the recipes, and make comments about whether she changed the recipe, who she made it for, etc.. those precious notes that make hand-made recipe books special..

Have fun together :-)

babytears, Dec 7, 8:32pm
K Mart have a gorgeous, bright coloured selection of utensils... and they're only $2 each... peelers, graters, spatulers, whisks, pastry brushes etc... so cute

pur-chase, Dec 7, 8:41pm
One of those clear stands to put the recipe book on... and how about making her own cookery book - with friends and family recipes - with the peoples names on each recipe who contributed etc.
Merry Xmas to you both!

cgvl, Dec 7, 10:13pm
There is a nice cookery book specifically for kids, sorry can't remember its name. I bought it for my nephew some years ago and he makes several dishes from it.
Its easier to read and use.

charlieb2, Dec 7, 10:19pm
The Jo Seager Easey Peasey cookbook is great for kids... if you want actual cookbook recommendations.

My youngest LOVES cooking and has done since he was at kindy.Loves watching the cooking programmes including Ramsey, Olliver and Masterchef.

Take your daughter to the library cookery section and let her loose

elliehen, Dec 7, 11:36pm
A great idea!It will help with reading, following sequential instructions, writing...lots of good life skills too.

I 'second' the Jo Seagar cookbook mentioned by charlieb2.

chooky, Dec 8, 7:09am
I was given over 35years ago Junior cook-book, it had 3 volumes and later in years came out with a microwave bk.. I still use those bks, have comments all over them.I have started doing a recipe bk for my son when he goes flatting. Real simple easy but tasty things to make. My 3yr old great neice just loves cooking, so I have made up a hamper for her for Xmas, own pink bowl, wooden spoon, rolling pin, cookie cutters, paper patty pans, 100s & 1000.This week I'm going to do a muffen in a jar and also cookie in a jar. All very simple for her.

gardie, Dec 8, 7:11am
There is a series of books for kids called Ready, Steady .....We have ready steady spaghetti,ready steady lunches and I've just ordered ready stead baking.They have some fabulous, easy recipes that the whole family will enjoy eating.

amanda_simonp, Dec 8, 6:20pm
Thank you so much for all these great ideas.I love them all.Most appreciated

babytears, Dec 8, 6:33pm
We have the AWW - Get Real, Make a Meal... it is fantastic... has loads of great recipes for kids... breakfasts, drinks, lunches, dinners, desserts, treats... clear, colourful, easy to follow recipes with pictures, describing measurements, ingredients lists,both my 13yr old and 6 year old love it... there's one here on TM

amanda_simonp, Dec 8, 9:29pm
Thanks Babytears I am going to have a look

gr8stuf4me, Dec 8, 10:47pm
Hi There, so lovely to hear of your daughters interest in cooking, IMHO clear file books are great - just simply because if she happens to spill something while shes in the kitchen doing her thing with you - then you can just wipe it clean.The refillable ones and she can write her creations onto refill and keep adding to it as her collection grows.And its also good because if she then wants to add a page for notes andvariations and photos and such that is very easily done as well.Enjoy!

dcviper98, Dec 9, 3:32am
awesome idea, my daughter has a few kids cook books, she is now 10, if there a recipe she really wants I have taught her to google it, check we have ALL ingredients before she makes is. She puts all ingredients on the bench and utensils then I come in and watch her do it...it has been hard but so neat when she says 'I made that all myself aye mum'

elliehen, Dec 9, 4:54am
The real rewards come much later for a parent who is prepared to let a young child make a mess in the kitchen while learning to cook.

Your adult child will come home from afar for a holiday and take over the kitchen while you put your feet up ;)

buzzy110, Dec 9, 6:14am
I think it is wonderful that your daughter is not only keen to cook but that you let her. I had to cook because I got home from school first and had to start the dinner, right from your daughter's age.

So I cut my teeth learning about vegetables and meat dishes first whilst baking came much later.

When I got home from school I had to go into the garden and select what vegetables we were to have, harvest the correct amount, wash, scrap, peel, etc and dispose of all the scraps in the compost pile. When all that was done I had to do my homework and sometimes even got to play outside with all the other kids, but if I hadn't started with the meat prep before my mother got home, there was merry h#*%^ to pay.

Great training. My favourite dessert became rice pudding because it was so easy.

cgvl, Dec 9, 10:19am
I started doing the family baking when I was 10 and graduated to doing whole meals by the tiime I was 13.
Coming from a large family and being eldest I had a choice do the washing or the baking. Baking won hands down any day, I also had to make the evening meal on that day and still will take over my mums kitchen when I go visit.
I used to add things to the meals that we didn't normally have ... and over the years have watched my dad try all sorts of new ideas ... some to my detriment at times.

Have fun teaching your daughter and if you have a son teach him too. 2 of my brothers are fantastic bakers, in some things even better than myself.

amanda_simonp, Oct 16, 10:46am
you know you ladies are wonderful.thanks so much