Shepherds pie/cottage pie how do you do yours?

oli3, Dec 7, 7:03am
An old fav, might do one tomorrow night for family, but I'm curious - how do others make theirs?What are your tricks?

brettnat, Dec 7, 7:04am
Oh I mash Kumara and Potatoes for ontop Yummy:)

noonesgirl, Dec 7, 7:08am
Mince then mashed potato heat through then topped with grated cheese which goes under the grill until brown.
Try l/h board there will be recipies and in date posted put anytime.

petal1955, Dec 7, 11:17pm
Get a heavy bottomed pot and heat up.....brown your mince in batches, add onion, garlic, worchester sauce, tomato or HP sauce and soya sauce and a Maggi Oxtail soup and a cup of water .....plu s some grated carrot.... turn down to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.....then place in oven proof dish and add mashed potatoes or mashed kumera with a little melted butter and some grated cheese on top.....place in oven to heat thru and under griller last 5 minutes to brown the cheese till it melts......Enjoy !!!

kernal1, Dec 16, 9:59am
Mince all left overs from a roast! Meat, vegies. add carrots, onions, tomatoes. Mix with gravy, also left over,or make a packet up.Top with mashed potoates, even looks nice if put through the mincer too! Heat, even top with grated cheese!/sliced tomatoes!All you need to serve is Kiwi Watties Tomato sauce!

anne1955, Dec 16, 10:21am
The only way is to use left over roast for it. Sorry mince just doesn't do it for me, I have a good old fashion mincer and when and if I use the kenwood for mincing I still use a slice of bread at the end..as I do with the main mincer..also mince my oinions for it through the mincer and if I have a little gravy left I mix that in gives it somthing to cook again in...and mash spud or combo mash on top and then dots of butter on that then just at end greated cheese on for the last few mins..yummy living alone I don't make enough roast these days bugger to make a real one..

coconutbuns, Dec 16, 6:50pm
Leftovers? What leftovers? I have 3 big hungry sons, there are no leftovers lol. But thank you anyway I will use your recipe if by chance my boys are away & I find leftovers in fridge

earthangel4, Sep 1, 11:44pm
I ened up making this one for dh last night,as I had all the ingred,and dh loved it,thank you.

m0naroman1, Sep 3, 4:11am
Cottage pie is a favourite in our house -
Fry up one onion (sliced), tablespoon crushed garlic, 1 x grated carrot, 1 x grated corgette until soft.Add mince and fry until brown.Add Beef Stock (couple of cups), squirt of worchestershire sauce, squirt of soy sauce, curry powder (about a 1 teaspoon).Season with salt & pepper.Add some cornflower and simmer until thickened.Put into casserole dish and top with mashed potatoe.Sprinkle with tasty cheese and breadcumbs.Heat in oven until cooked through and browned.

earthangel4, Sep 5, 8:04pm
Thank you another lovely recipe,my dh loves cottage pie,lol

fetish, Sep 5, 9:11pm
Never made a cottage pie, but it's been so long since I've made my yummy shepherds pie, it has to be left over lamb roast minced down in the food processor with onion & then mixed with the extra gravy I always make with the roast for just this purpose, then top with cheesy mashed spuds, sprinkle of cheese on top & a few breadcrumbs & it's done.Only way I'll ever make them !

harrislucinda, Sep 5, 10:36pm
cottageismadefromminceboiledseason asinstewthenmashedspuds,yesshepherdsiscoldmincedlambiputgratedcarroton topbefore thespuds

chooky, Sep 5, 10:49pm
I use mince with veges and then put potatoe pom poms on top and grated cheese and in the oven for 20mins . Yummy. Having it tonight. Never have any leftovers, son takes it for lunch the next day.

earthangel4, Sep 5, 11:25pm
yum,must try this one too.