APPLE JUICE HELP PLEASE - new to this

lindar, Dec 7, 6:38am
I just put some apples through juicer and added some lemons thinking that would stop it going brown. It hasnt and I think it is fermenting - does this mean all my work down the sink???

goldgurl_design, Dec 7, 6:50am
sugar and SKULL lol

kurtis, Dec 7, 7:17am
yes but only if u poured it all down the sink

lindar, Dec 7, 7:33am
NOT YET, damn, is there any other practical use for it, water the tomatoes or something.So does anyone know how to make apple juice without it going awful?

gardie, Dec 7, 7:34am
I haven't found a way to stop apple juice browning unfortunately.Add some orange juice and you don't notice it so much.Try freezing the juice for longevity.

uli, Dec 7, 7:39am
You "just" did it - and now it is fermenting?
WOW!
It always takes me a few days to get anything to ferment.
Must be very fertile stuff you are juicing there.

uli, Dec 7, 7:41am
Why is brown juice awful?
Drink it!

omaria, Dec 7, 7:44am
strain in through muslim or a thin towel, then mix it with other fruit juice, perfectly drinkable.

lindar, Dec 7, 7:58am
I dont care what it looks like but I thought the flavour was changing.Will try it on kids in the morning!!

leeannt, Dec 7, 10:13am
mmm, love this in the morning.Green apples + 1 carrot, or apples and an orange, lovely. :)

lindar, Dec 7, 10:30pm
I threw in a teaspoon of asorbic acid powder last night (have been taking it myself) as it always seems to be an ingredient on the shop ones.I dont know if it was that that made the difference but it has gone more orange than brown and kids tried it this morning, love it and it is in their school drink bottles today.YAY

buzzy110, Dec 8, 12:08am
Juice rapidly starts to lose its goodness and vitamin C diminishes the longer it is stored. So 30mins after making your apple juice is not longer as full of goodness as it was when it is made. It is best to drink any juice you make immediately or, at least, once the juicer has been washed, dried, reassembled and stowed away.

If you are making it for school lunches why not put it directly into the drink bottle and straight into the freezer, or into ice cube trays that are the correct size for pushing into the top of the drink bottles?

lindar, Dec 8, 1:32am
What a great idea, thanks.I had visions of juicing all sorts of fruit over the summer in bulk and putting it into the fridge for the week.So I can do the same into the freezer instead of fridge?

buzzy110, Dec 8, 1:39am
Probably best I think. But you will have to remember to take it out in time for it to defrost. Children's juice bottles will be ideal for that. Um, would I need to tell you that things expand when they freeze so no to fill containers right up to the top?

Just remember that juicing exposes the enzymes to air and thus changes take place. Commercial juice producers add a preservative and usually citric acid as well.

I have juiced but never doing more than I needed at a time. The only exception is orange juice and I don't do that in a juicer. If any was left over I always made sure I stored it in an airtight container as well.

lindar, Dec 8, 1:46am
Thanks for your help.Will just have to get use to cleaning the juicer as that was my motivation for getting it all done at once.!

juice_pro, Feb 3, 6:15pm
How long your juice stores for is highly dependent on the type of juicer you have, your standard centrifugal juicer (Breville, Sunbeam etc) should really be consumed immediately due to the amount of oxidization that occurs during the juicing process (air is not your friend when it comes to fresh juice).

Cold press and auger type juicers (Hippocrates, Compact living juicer etc) can happily stay refrigerated in an air tight container for up to 48 hours with out much of a decrease in nutritional value.