Husband has decided he may be gluten intolerant!!

lizab, Dec 4, 1:32am
Have no idea why - am sure he just wants to make me work even harder in the kitchen!!! He's asking me to buy gluten free stuff for him to try! I make my own bread and baking etc and this is driving me nuts! Can I buy gluten free bread ready made? I went to the supermarket the other night, but it was late and there wasn't much bread of any kind left on the shelves! I would make it for him, but the price is crazy for gluten free flour!! I'm out of my comfort zone here people - help please!!

supercook, Dec 4, 1:58am
sophie gray has a cookbook that contains some gluten free flour mixes you can make your self. I have loaned the cookbook so I don't have the title.

martine5, Dec 4, 2:21am
quick leave while you still can

herself, Dec 4, 2:24am
Just put 'gluten free' and 'anytime' into the search panel to the left of this thread and it comes up with all the relevant threads from Recipes - a HUGE amount of great information and help.

buzzy110, Dec 4, 2:50am
Check out this link on sourdough bread which your husband will probably find he can eat without problems. The bread is made with normal flours (though preferably organic stone ground) and the bread is superior to any gluten free on the market.

http://www.danreid.org/health-alerts-sour-dough-health.asp

I only eat sour dough now. It is easy to make and much more tasty than ordinary bread. It stays fresh for a week on my bench which is a great advantage as well.

buzzy110, Dec 4, 2:52am
The thread - Sour Dough - Success At Last will give you much more information.

bigboy01, Dec 4, 12:31pm
You can buy gluten free bread but like many of the gluten free stuff its dear.If he is the only one eating it be good to freeze slices so not wasted.

bigboy01, Dec 4, 12:33pm
Might be cheaper for him to go and get a check up and get some tests done...............lol

dezzie, Dec 4, 8:34pm
I agree with bigtoys, why has he come to this sudden conclusion..any big changes in bowel habits should be checked out by a doctor, him deciding hes gluten intolerant may in fact be bowel cancer, and ditzing about wasting time diagnosing himself won't help at all.
Sorry if thats scary for you, but really, he needs to be asked why hes decided this.

kuaka, Dec 4, 8:53pm
I agree with the last two posts.

nfh1, Dec 4, 8:57pm
Me too - something must have prompted this huge change in eating habits.

lizab, Dec 4, 10:52pm
yes thanks guys, I'd decided that I'm going to send him to the doctors instead of wasting all that money on gluten free stuff!! Self diagnosing is never the best!! He just reckons he feels terrible after eating bread and thought he'd try gluten free (plonka!! lol) Didn't help that we saw our niece last weekend who decided she'd been feeling really groggy and depressed, so tried gluten free and now feels so much better! Ho hum!! Thanks for the posts :)

terraalba, Dec 4, 11:06pm
Good idea to send to doctor. I do feel for families who genuinely have a gluten issue as their housekeeping budget will be very high. I find the low carb diet my diabetic husband follows means more expense and included in our foods are a number of items that are gluten free because I also find that reducing gluten intake is helpful for a feeling of well-being.
One product I found recently at Countdown that is gluten free and useful is almond meal from Australia. It was not as expensive as I thought it would have been.Almond meal enables me to eliminate flour and produce a tasty biscuity base for a variety of fruits and gelatine or dairy deserts or snacks.Together these combinations reduce the amount ofsugar or sugar substitute and even eliminates the added sweetening altogether.

davidt4, Dec 4, 11:43pm
It is not expensive or difficult to eat gluten-free (or better still grain-free) if you don't try to replace bread, baked goods and convenience foods with gluten-free substitutes, but just remove them from your diet.

Instead of eating bread, cakes, biscuits and packaged foods, cook from scratch and eat meat, fish, eggs, cheese, veges and fruit.It takes a major mind-shift initially but soon becomes second nature.It will repay you with improved health and well-being.

bedazzledjewels, Dec 5, 12:16am
I can understand that at first people try to find substututes as I did that. It took just one expensive gf bread purchase - that tasted revolting - that convinced me to start afresh with foods like Davidt4 lists. If you're not buying substitutes and processed foods, then you're in no danger of ingesting gluten by mistake. Just keep it simple.

uli, Dec 5, 12:16am
Well I have made budgets for several people now that thought that low carb would kill them - and all of them have found out that "low carb" is not more expensive than "high carb low fat".

If you think about all the stuff you will not buy any more - bread, sugar, biscuits, flour, pasta, cakes, rice, muffins, packet sauces, frozen pizzas, simmer sauces, potatoes, coke and other soft drinks, christmas puddings ... and and and ... then you might realize that the money saved will buy all the meat, fish, eggs and veges you'd ever want.

If not - then try it out on your next shopping expedition.

terraalba, Sep 28, 11:42am
Yes I agree. If you eliminate the category of foods that are usually gluten containing products, it is a lot less expensive than if you substitute these. The elimination of empty calories does indeed free up money for the low carb diet. A while back I worked out how much we saved by not buying empty caloried foods and we did save quite a bit. I did find it more expensive to switch to Low carb when we also dispensed with things that contained fibre and carbs. We use Psyliu, (sp?) husks a lot. I like the almond meal as it adds a little variety but I don't buy gluten free breads and biscuits.