Annabelle Langbeins choux lemon puff

rumbledoll, Dec 3, 11:17pm
Ohh nooo.. I decided to practice run with this recipe before xmas... I have no idea why it hasn't risen - this is the first time I have made choux anything... I read and reread the recipe and process so I could get it right but its turned out as flat as it was when it went in the oven.
I wonder if the mixture wasn't wet enough as I only had small eggs and her recipe asked for large eggs.

buzzy110, Dec 4, 12:01am
I haven't seen here recipe so cannot say for sure but my guess would be the flour you used.

Choux pastry requires high gluten flour so always use high grade flour or if your cooking tends to wander off into alternate directions (as mine does) stone ground white flour.

buzzy110, Dec 4, 12:03am
So here are Dean Brettschneider's tips for cooking choux pastry:

"Keys To Success"
1. Do not over-cook the roux on the stove as this will dry it out.
2. Always use fresh eggs. Fresh egg white is stronger, enhancing the pastry structure.
3. The quantity of eggs used depends on the consistency of the mixture.
4. Always bake in a hot oven.
5. Never open the oven door too early as this will allow the steam to escape, causing the choux pastry to collapse."

buzzy110, Dec 4, 12:05am
One more thing - does the recipe call for a high heat for the first 20mins, to rise and set the 'shell' then a longer cooking time at a lower temperature to dry it out and create the perfect pastry that is not full of improperly cooked sticky dough?

buzzy110, Dec 4, 12:09am
Sorry for this r/d. I didn't see the bit about the size of your eggs. Proper pastry cooks will give the recipe in weights of eggs to weight of flour so that the size of eggs isn't a problem.

However, if the recipe calls for large/med/small eggs then you either have to adapt to suit or follow the instructions.

rumbledoll, Dec 4, 12:20am
thanks..- I used high grade flour.. I think I might try it again using large eggs... Not going to give up just yet - It just looks so damn delish that it would be a different treat for xmas.

rumbledoll, Dec 4, 3:30am
2nd try and ****wow**** its worked... Its a huge beast!! once I whip cream and stir in lemon curd and pile kiwi and strawberrys then dust with icing sugar its going to be a reall winner!!!!
See tvnz annabelle langbein site for recipe...

buzzy110, Sep 27, 2:40am
That is excellent rumbledoll. Choux pastry is really easy as you have just discovered. There are a few savoury things you can do with it as well. What is more homemade is so much nicer than bought ones which are made with palm oil and have a nasty slimy taste that anyone with a decent palate can detect immediately.