Home-made chocolate fillings?

daleaway, Dec 2, 10:40pm
I have in mind making some chocolates for Christmas.

Apart from the obvious dried fruit and nuts, can anyone share with me some nice flavoured fondant-type fillings that are easily made (and do not involve corn syrup)?

horizons_, Dec 2, 11:21pm
Use a ganache as your base and add flavours. Ganache is a fudge like filling that once firm can be shaped and dipped in chocolate. Divide the mix and add your flavours at point of making the ganache.
Ganache recipe:-
225g dark chocolate (can use dairy or white if you want to)
3/4 cup cream
25g butter

Place the chopped chocolate in a medium sized stainless steel bowl.Set aside.Heat the cream and butter in a medium sized saucepan over medium heat.Bring just to a boil.Immediately pour the boiling cream over the chocolate and allow to stand for 5 minutes.
Then stir till choc has dissolved and blended with the cream. Divide mixture into separate containers and add flavours. Let cool in fridge (about 2hrs) or on bench (about 4hrs) till firm. Can be used as is or try:-
Slivered almonds and chopped cherries together
Ground Cinnamon
Liquer of your choice
Coffee essence
Chili powder
Peanut butter
My mum is a whizz at chocolate making and has some awesome combinations. She sometimes adds chili powder in the (chocolate) coating. Very popular is a hottish blend. Try 1/2 tspoon to a block of choc.
Peanut butter, rice bubbles and icing sugar mixed together is a lovely combo for a filling as well.
All very decadent of course! But oh so yummy.
Don't refrigerate chocolate, it will sweat once removed. Humidity and heat will affect your chocs. Best to make on a cool day. Have fun and enjoy your chockies.

horizons_, Dec 2, 11:25pm
Oops, forgot to add that the ganache can be shaped once it is set. And dip it into melted choc, or leave as fudge balls and roll in either cocount, grated chocolate or cocoa powder. Eat sooner rather than later imho.

daleaway, Dec 2, 11:31pm
Some really good ideas there, many thanks.
About how mucl liqueur will that mixture stand? I have in mind something like white chocolate ganache with Baileys added....