Salad Dressings

winnie231, Dec 1, 11:42pm
We've got a thread for Sauces and Gravies but not one for Salad Dressings ... so I thought I'd make a start.
Please add your favourite dressing recipes here ...

winnie231, Dec 1, 11:49pm
Green Salad Dressing from The Wholemeal Cafe in Takaka

1 large handful of flat-leafed parsley
1 small handful of other green herbs like basil, rosemary, tarragon, mint or sage (anything green works!)
1/2C cider vinegar
3-4 pickled gherkins
2 cloves of peeled garlic
1Tblspn mustard
1 medium cucumber
1tspn salt
4 leaves of silverbeet
1/2 to 1C olive oil or any other good quality oil

Place all ingredients apart from the oil in the food processor and blend into a smooth paste.
With the machine still running, slowly add the oil and blend until it is well emulsified to a thick, creamy sauce.

This deliciously creamy salad dressing is rich, velvety and pungent. I use any number of fresh herbs and any green veges which gives scope for individual improvisation.

winnie231, Dec 3, 1:09am
x1
Avocado dressing

1 ripe avocado
3 Tblspn lemon juice
2 Tblspn quality oil (I like using avocado oil for this)
1/2-1 sml clove of garlic - peeled
1/2 tsp salt
dash of pepper & chilli powder

Blend all together. Increase the liquids a little if it's too thick for your liking.

gardie, Dec 3, 12:23pm
Home made mayonnaise.

3 egg yolks, 3 tbsp lemon juice, 1 tbsp sugar, 1 heaped tsp dijon mustard - whizz together in food processor, slowly add 2 cups oil (rice bran/grapeseed) down the shute until all added.If the mayonnaise gets too thick prior to finishing adding the oil, add a little hot water before continuing to add in oil.S & P to taste.(Thanks ayglepaygle).

helen149, Dec 4, 1:03am
did you use dry mustard or the made up stuff?(I am not a good cook) lol.thanks.

winnie231, Dec 4, 1:11am
You are a good cook if you double check on ingredients helen149!!!
It's 1Tblspn of prepared mustard ... and which ever one you prefer.
Enjoy the dressing.

helen149, Dec 4, 8:10am
thanks Winnie you a wee doll.

cottagerose, Dec 7, 3:46am
I would love to know what dressings people use in pasta salad

winnie231, Dec 7, 11:54am
I use the green salad dressing as above ... and always get rave comments about it!
A really refreshing change from mayo (although I do like that too ... with plenty of fresh herbs stirred through)

juliewn, Dec 7, 3:33pm
Great idea for a thread Rae :-) Hope all is good for you there.. :-)

Hi Cottagerose.. I made a pasta salad recently, and not long before serving, tossed some mint sauce and chopped parsley through the salad.. which was pasta vege spirals, strips of carrot (made using a vege peeler), raisins, slices of capsicum, and some cucumber.. tasted very good..

greerg, Dec 7, 7:43pm
That green dressing is delicious Winnie!I bought the Wholemeal Cafe recipe book a year or two ago - more as a reminder of Golden Bay which I love than anything else but I make that dressing out of it a lot.

cottagerose, Dec 8, 3:53am
Thanks juliewn. Ive made a note of that. I sounds just what I would like

guest, Feb 10, 3:01am
thanks winnie for posting that fab green dressing recipe, is just what i was looking for. didnt think i'd find it on the net and tried to memorise it from the recipe book in the cafe, now i see i had left off two vital ingredients! luckily i checked online on the off chance, before making it. many thanks.

winnie231, Dec 1, 11:42pm
We've got a thread for Sauces and Gravies but not one for Salad Dressings . so I thought I'd make a start.
Please add your favourite dressing recipes here .

winnie231, Dec 3, 1:09am
Avocado dressing

1 ripe avocado
3 Tblspn lemon juice
2 Tblspn quality oil (I like using avocado oil for this)
1/2-1 sml clove of garlic - peeled
1/2 tsp salt
dash of pepper & chilli powder

Blend all together. Increase the liquids a little if it's too thick for your liking.

helen149, Dec 4, 1:03am
did you use dry mustard or the made up stuff!(I am not a good cook) lol.thanks.

winnie231, Dec 4, 1:11am
You are a good cook if you double check on ingredients helen149!
It's 1Tblspn of prepared mustard . and which ever one you prefer.
Enjoy the dressing.

winnie231, Dec 7, 11:54am
I use the green salad dressing as above . and always get rave comments about it!
A really refreshing change from mayo (although I do like that too . with plenty of fresh herbs stirred through)

juliewn, Dec 7, 3:33pm
Great idea for a thread Rae :-) Hope all is good for you there. :-)

Hi Cottagerose. I made a pasta salad recently, and not long before serving, tossed some mint sauce and chopped parsley through the salad. which was pasta vege spirals, strips of carrot (made using a vege peeler), raisins, slices of capsicum, and some cucumber. tasted very good.

bev00, Dec 8, 11:09am
Ooooh yum . perfect for summer salads.

threecheers, Dec 9, 12:36am
Honey Mustard Dressing
1 cup mayo
1/2 cup mustard (you can use half dijon if you like)
1/2 cup honey
Mix well.

guest, Feb 17, 3:36am
Have just made the Green salad dressing and was wondering how long it keeps in the fridge?

bev00, Dec 8, 10:43am
recycling for summer salad season