Meatballs and Tomato Sauce Homemade Recipe Wanted

fetish, Dec 1, 7:37pm
Hi all, been a while since I popped in here, but I see lots of great recipes still being shared .. which brings me to my request, I'm after a really good tried and tested Meatball and Tomato Sauce recipe, a from scratch one using fresh ingrediants, and one that I think you would cook the meatballs in the sauce, to keep them nice and juicy, yes Ive been watching Masterchef AULOL,

I saw them do this on a show a week or so back and the idea just looked totally yummy, but I cannot find the recipe anywhere for that particular one, so I am hoping someone in here may have something similar to share ...

there is one little hitch though,to say I have picky eating habits with some food, would be a 'slight' understatement and I have tomato issues .. I cannot eat the real fresh ones raw or cooked, but happily eat anything that is processed tomato, pasta sauces, tomato sauce etc, so I'm hoping that someone will also have a recipe I can do from scratch, but will not have a fresh tomato taste to it, if you know what I mean, I know its totally weird to only like something such as this, but what can I say .. that's me, personally I blame my Mum for pandering to an obstinate child .. although I believe I was pretty obstinate ! Thanks in advance for any help, recipes etc, and hi to all of you that I haven't seen in a while :)

245sam, Dec 1, 8:03pm
Hi fetish/Eden, the following is a recipe that I was given 35+ years ago by my now late MIL.It's a well tried and tested one that works well and since I posted it here on TM a number of years ago, I understand that it has been a popular one here (it was included amongst the recipes on TMC).The recipe states to divide the mixture into 12 which makes meal-size meatballs; I have also made it into smaller sized meatballs and adjusted the cooking time accordingly but sorry, I can't recall exactly what I did re that.

MEATBALLS IN RED SAUCE
Sauce:
2 tbsp butter
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 tbsp brown sugar
½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
¼ cup vinegar
1 thin slice lemon
1 cup each oftomato sauceandwater

Fry the onion in the butter until tender.Add the remaining ingredients and bring the sauce to the boil.

Meat Balls:
1½ cups soft breadcrumbs
½ cup milk
454g mince
227g sausagemeat
1 small onion, chopped
saltandpepper
1 egg, lightly beaten

Soak the breadcrumbs in the milk until all the milk is absorbed.
Blend the mince and sausagemeat.Add the onion, salt and pepper, then the egg and soaked breadcrumbs.Divide the mixture into 12 equal portions and place them in a roasting dish.Pour the sauce carefully over and around the meatball portions.
Bake, uncovered, at180°Cfor1 hour.Turn the balls after 30 minutes and check the sauce level - sprinkle in a little water if necessary.

Hope that helps.:-))

davidt4, Dec 1, 8:06pm
Hi fetish - nice to hear from you.Here is a very good Italian meatball recipe from Nigella Lawson, which uses only fresh ingredients.The pork makes a big difference to the texture.

http://annesfood.blogspot.com/2006/08/nigellas-pasta-with-meatballs.html

iriegirl, Dec 1, 11:30pm
This reciepe calls for tinned tomatoes but you could always use a plain pasta sauce instead but it really is the combination of spices that makes this seriously good!I found this one on the Maggi website and its really great with a big dollop of hummus on the side!

Greek Meatballs in tomato sauce
• 500 g minced lamb
• 1 onion, finely chopped
• 1 tsp MAGGI Garlic Stock Powder
• 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
• 1/2 tsp ground allspice
• 1/2 tsp ground ginger
• 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
• 1 tsp ground cumin
• 1 tsp paprika
• 2 tsp oil
• SAUCE
• 1 packet MAGGI Tomato & Onion Soup Mix
• 2x400 g cans tomatoes in juice, chopped
• 2 tsp ground cumin, extra
• 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, extra
• 1 tsp paprika, extra

1. Place lamb, onion, stock powder, herbs and spices in a bowl.Mix together well.Roll tablespoonfuls of mixture into balls.

2. Heat oil in a frying pan.Brown meatballs in batches, remove from pan and set aside.
3. To make sauce; combine soup mix, tomatoes and spices. Add tomato mixture to pan and bring to the boil, stirring.
4.Reduce heat and add meatballs.Simmer for 20 minutes

fetish, Sep 23, 10:50pm
oooh thank you for those, they all sound good, I'm thinking I might take some ideas from all of those and (hopefully) make something that will be tasty and with juicy meatballs, I usually use Dolmios and make my own meatballs which are just basic meat spices etc, but I've never tried cooking them in the sauce to keep them from drying out, and after watching masterchef I'm just hooked on the idea of trying them that way, thank you all again, and I'll post the end result when I cook them with my no doubt totally warped end result recipe !