Glaze for xmas cake

horse30, Nov 30, 12:27am
HELP we have toped the cake with cherries and almonds but we need a glaze......hopefully not a sticky one

cgvl, Nov 30, 2:17am
glazes are usually done with apricot jam or a sugar and water syrup.

You heat apricot jam and the strain it through a fine sieve, then you paint it onto the cake.

I personally have never bothered to glaze an uniced cake.
If icing I spread very thinly either the sugar and water mix or some jam over top the add icing.

kiwitrish, Nov 30, 2:41am
As a cake decorator.This is the glaze I use.It gives a nice shine and tastes yummy.

Apricot Glaze
2 HEAPED TBSP APRICOT JAM
4 TBSP BRANDY
PLACE THE APRICOT JAM AND BRANDY IN A SMALL
SAUCEPAN AND HEAT THEM GENTLE TOGETHER, WHISKING
UNTIL THOROUGHLY BLENDED.

I always use the bottom of the cake as the top because it is nice and level.Brush glaze on the cake then add your cherries and almonds.The brush all over generously with the glaze.You will find all glazes are sticky.

horse30, Dec 2, 12:31am
thanku very much guys awesum

kiwitrish, Dec 7, 1:12am
Bumping for beetle18.Hope this answers your question.

beetle18, Dec 7, 2:21am
Now I'm a wee bit confused. Sounds as though you can decorate two ways - either once the cake is cooked, and then glaze, or pressing the nuts etc into the top of the uncooked cake and then baking, and glazing when cool. Is one way better than the other?

kiwitrish, Dec 7, 2:29am
No putting the nuts ect on the top means that they will sink into the cake a little.You need the nuts , cherries etc to be raised.Thats how the professionals do it.Bake your cake first then when cool put on the first glaze, then your topping and then glaze again.

beetle18, Oct 4, 4:15pm
Got that, thank you so much.