Cheesy cheese scones

Page 1 / 2
kevin051, Nov 29, 5:15am
Hi there does any1 have a really nice cheesy cheese scone recipe that i can make?

chrisynz, Nov 29, 5:20am
x1
just made some.. i use 3 cups self raising flour, small diced onion(can be omitted) 2 cups of grated cheese..milk to mix..cut ou,t top with extra grated cheese..bake

elliehen, Nov 29, 5:48am
Add the secret ingredient - a pinch of cayenne pepper - to the flour.

chrisynz, Nov 29, 5:49am
oops yup i for got that

noonesgirl, Nov 29, 6:03am
Think the secret is the brand of cheese used. Find Mainland Tasty is good.

noelee, Nov 29, 8:58pm
savoury sconesself raising flour sugar only a little but optional grated cheese tastyor mildthen I add a pkt of maggi onion soup mix make into a dough with milk cut into shape add more grated cheese on top and bake.
Note I've been leaving the cheese till about the last 10 minutes sometimes the cheese on top gets cooked too much and dry seems to work is nice and soft sooo far.

noelee, Nov 29, 9:55pm
3cups self raising flour, 1tsp baking powder, large tsp sugar optional, 2cups grated cheese1pkt maggi onion soup mix, Milk enough to make a dough mix.

cookessentials, Nov 29, 10:07pm
x1
I do a nice three cheese scone..recipe is at home though.

smileeah, Nov 29, 10:35pm
I don't have a great recipe to share as I usually use edmonds, but I suggest you don't overmix the dough, and use good tasty cheese for best flavour. And I would add ground black pepper to the dry ingredients.

malcovy, Nov 29, 11:24pm
And the good thing about using Tasty cheese is that you use less.

daleaway, Nov 30, 12:04am
I agree that Mainland Tasty is a good brand for use in cheese scones. That's because it's saltier, so if you have a non-tasty cheese, add extra salt (so good for the arteries....)...

pogram0, Nov 30, 7:58am
x1
Scones – cheese (Sophie Gray)
2 cups of self-raising flour
2 cups tasty cheddar
1¼ cups milk
Mixture is quite wet when the ingredients are mixed together.

seniorbones, Nov 30, 8:10am
If I work saturday mornings I take scones in and I'm a hopeless scone maker, wish I had watched grandma she was the best! - but I can make cheese scones, always with tasty cheese and sometimes add mustard but the mixtures is wet and I just plop them on the tray. I add lots of cheese, but my work mates say they are always lovely. I cant stand buying a cheese scone and its only on the top! There is a shop close to where I work sometimes and their date scones are the best, if I buy one its breakfast/lunch they are so big.

darlingmole, Nov 30, 8:16am
I agree with wish I'd paid more attention!however, the golden rule is that the wetter and less fiddled with the mixture the better it is

rumbledoll, Nov 30, 11:56am
I was a rock maker once... then used this recipe and now rocks are mounds of deliciousness...

2 cups flour
4 teaspoons of baking powder - yes this much makes them big and fluffy
pinch salt.
pinch cayenne pepper
fried off bacon and onion
2 cups grated cheese - any cheese
milk to mix

stir all together using a metal knife... no kneading just use wet hands and grab big dobs on a baking tray - I brush with milk and bake till golden....

dilligaf_dah, Nov 30, 12:03pm
I use a packet of parmisen cheese in the mix as well as the grated cheese makes it real cheesy. Just add to normal cheese recipes.

indy95, Nov 2, 10:32pm
Bumping for el.diablo

rainrain1, Nov 3, 12:12am
It doesn't get much cheesier than this thanks to another poster

Cheese Scones
As with any scone, don't over mix and don't over handle if you want the lightness.

12 ounces self raising flour (340 grams)
2 (heaped) teaspoons baking powder
3 ounces butter, very cold and grated (85 grams)
11 ounces grated cheese (312 grams)
milk to mix
1 teaspoon paprika
2 teaspoons dried mustard

Sieve the flour and dry ingredients. Cut in the butter. Mix in enough milk so achieve a soft dough. Pat out on a floured board to about 1" thick and cut with a scone cutter. Bake at 230C. I like to scatter some flour on top before baking and they go a nice golden brown. You can also sprinkle with extra cheese.

cookessentials, Nov 3, 1:11am
Make the Wallace & Grommit ones

cookessentials, Nov 3, 1:12am
These are delish and are for SERIOUS cheese lovers

"We need more cheese Gromit!" Very serious cheesy scones which use way more cheese than normal for a scone mix; they will not rise quite as high as plain scones. Try and use a good quality mature Cheddar or any type of strong cheese that is available. They can be made in about 20 minutes, if you have all the ingredients to hand and the oven has been pre-heated. Great for afternoon tea, picnics, buffets & packed lunches. You can also add chopped chives & herbs for a change.

500 g plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
4 teaspoons cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon English mustard powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
75 g butter
300 ml milk
200 g extra mature cheddar cheese, grated
1 egg, beaten

Preheat oven to 220C

Mix all the dry ingredients together.

Rub in the butter until it remsembles crumbs.

Add 160 of the grated cheese & mix well.

Add the milk and mix very quickly - do not over mix.

Mixture should be sticky and soft, if too dry, add more milk.

Place onto a floured board a knead briefly.

Roll out to about 3cms/1" thickness.

Stamp 12-14 rounds out of the dough - do NOT twist the scone cutters as it stops them from rising!

Place close together on a greased biscuit/baking tray.

Brush the beaten egg over each scone as a glaze and sprinkle the remaining 40g of cheese over the top.

Bake in a pre-heated oven for 10-12 minutes until well risen and golden brown.

Cool slightly, then spilt them in half, butter them -- divine!

cookessentials (1182 )9:08 pm, Sat 6 Feb #1

wildflower, Nov 3, 3:15am
Anyone tried the Mainland Egmont recipe for cheese scones!

cherie19, Nov 3, 7:39am
Hey Rumbledoll. No butter required for your scones! Sounds like my sorta recipe!

korbo, Nov 3, 8:01am
would a tomato maggi soup mix be nice, or for that matter, any other soup mix !
I have made bread in my breadmaker, and used a packet of tomato cupasoup. very tasty i will say.

indy95, Nov 4, 3:36am
No I haven't wildflower. Would you be able to post it for us please !

katienz11, Nov 4, 7:03pm
Yum, these sound great.Capers cafe, here in Palmy, make the best cheese scones around.Not sure how they do it, but its like melted cheese all through it.Mum used to make cheese puffs, and they were delicious - not sure how they differ from scones though.