Grated Potato Cakes

rainrain1, Nov 27, 5:49am
I have forgotten how to make them.....I know you grate 3 or 4 spuds, squeeze out the liquid after grating using your hands, add egg, thin chopped onion or spring onion, or both, and some flour to hold it together, and then heat half oil and half butter fairly hot-ish-ish to get them crisp......but does anyone have a proper recipe... they are soooo darn good!!!

jcprotea, Nov 27, 6:52am
I have made these before but we call them Latkes and I add carrot and onion to mine.

rainrain1, Nov 27, 7:00am
man they are good(she says with a mouthful) add 2 eggs and 1/4 cup flour approx, next best thing to a whitebait pattie and that's saying somthing!!!

harrislucinda, Nov 27, 8:10am
mynameforthosearedanishpatties

harrislucinda, Nov 27, 8:15am
3spudsgrated 1smallonionchoppedfinefinechoppedparsley2eggs2tlbspplain flourseasondo asyou sayandfryuntilgolden

alebix, Nov 27, 8:38am
Mum calls them mockfish patties and my husband calls them platskis..

We grate as many potaoes as needed, grate an onion or 2, squeeze the water out of them.
Add an egg and about a Tablespoon of flour, mix and fry...

uli, Nov 27, 8:40am

rainrain1, Nov 27, 8:47am
Interesting all the different names for something so simple and delish, bumping for the good old humble tattie.

fisher, Nov 27, 9:11am
rainrain1.. add some mixed herbs next time... close your eyes and tell me if they taste like mock whitebait fritters.. :]

jcprotea, Nov 27, 11:22am
Latkes is a food commonly eaten by Jews on Hanukkah. :)

rainrain1, Nov 27, 6:22pm
I miiiiiiiiiight give that a try, although it doesn't tempt my tastebuds:-)

propagator, Nov 28, 12:29am
I worked for a Swiss chef many years ago and this dish was always on the menu in lieu of potatoes.I make it quite often myself.I always parboil the potatoes and then grate. A lot easier and less messy than raw potato.I also fry up bacon bits and chopped onion in butterto give it a bit of zing.Plenty of pepper and salt too.

rema, Nov 28, 12:52am
How about adding cheese !!!!

rainrain1, Nov 28, 1:38am
raw grated potato is what makes them so good in the first place

liamjosh, Nov 28, 1:55am
On Masterchef the other week they made some but they par boiled the spuds first then grated them, they bound together better and you only had to colour them when frying.

rainrain1, Nov 28, 4:36am
Yes I saw that too, but I like the crispness that the raw potato makes

harrislucinda, Nov 28, 4:45am
having themrawthengrateyou squeezeall thestarchoutwontbethesamewithhalfcookedspuds

guest, Jan 11, 5:13am
Good point. I hadn't thughot about it quite that way. :)

guest, Jan 13, 12:47pm
this looks perfectly AWESOME - plsaee link to mt Fast Food NOT Fat Food Event and the kids delight event - Please click on my "event" link by the blog title .. Cheers, Priya

guest, Jan 14, 7:41pm
nov18Imane Hadouche petit e0 petit ils vont en arriver e0 leurs cteuomus jahilyates et enterrer tout nouveau-ne9 de sexe fe9minin!!! c est quoi leurs indicateurs pour le degre9 de ithara des yeux?