Rhubarb overload........

Page 1 / 2
omokoroa1, Nov 25, 11:50pm
what the heck can i do with it besides stew

daisygirl, Nov 25, 11:51pm
Rhubarb Chutney.Rhubarb & Strawberry jam,use frozen berries.Freeze it for winter.

omokoroa1, Nov 25, 11:55pm
mmmmm nice daisy.....do u have a recipe for the rhubarb chutney??

daisygirl, Nov 26, 12:04am
I sure do:
1KG rhubarb chopped
25gr fresh ginger well bruised [I sometimes use the ginger in a jar,2 teaspoons]
6 garlic cloves crushed
2 lemons [grated rhind and juice]
1 tbs salt
2 1/2 cups vinegar
1kg sugar
500gr sultanas.

We like it HOT so I had some chilli.

Put all in a pot and simmer, stir frequently so it dosnt catch on bottom.
Simmer for about 1 hour or until it has thickened.

If you like it chunky bottle it as it is ,I put mine through the mouli to make it smooth.

Makes about 3 litres.Can be eaten right away but I prefer to keep it for amonth to mature.
Good for all meats and sandwiches or crackers and cheese.

odie6, Nov 26, 2:03am
can you get it when green

margyr, Nov 26, 2:05am
slice thinly and use it in the base you use when making a carrot cake, yummy.

beaker59, Nov 26, 2:15am
I just stewed a large pot and then bottled it and put away to spoon over icecream etc etc. Only got 3 patak type jar fulls as used the rest over a rice pudding.

Boil 1 cup rice with 4 cups water til cooked then to rice add can of coconut cream 1/4tsp salt and 3 tablespoons of sugar stir well (some may like more sugar than that.

cookessentials, Nov 26, 3:44am
This is one of our favourites.

BAKED RHUBARB AND ORANGE SPONGE
1 bunch rhubarb,trimmed and chopped. 1/4 cup firmly packed brownn sugar; 2 tsp grated orange rind; 3 tbsp warmed honey; 60g butter; 1/4 cup caster sugar; 1 egg, lightly beaten; 3/4 cup self raising flour; 1/3 cup milk.
Place rhubarb in buttered ovenproof dish,sprinkle with the brown sugar and half the orange rind and pour over warmed honey. Cream butter with remaining orange rind and caster sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, then fold in sifted flour alternatively with the milk. Bake in a pre-heated modeerately hot oven (190C) for about 40 minutes or until golden. Serve hot with custard or cream. I serve it with a good vanilla bean ice-cream.

odie6, Nov 26, 5:39am
oops i mean eat it when green.thank u

odie6, Nov 27, 9:56pm
bumping please

coreblimey, Nov 27, 10:11pm
Rhubarb champagne!900gm rhubarb chopped, 700gm sugar, 2 lemons juiced and the rind and 3.8litres of water. Put it all in a plastic bucket for 48 hours in cool dark place. Strain 3 times and bottle. Shod be ready in a couple of weeks. Very low alc content (around 2%) so ur choice weather the kids can drink it or not. Chill well before drinking and enjoy :)

margyr, Nov 28, 1:10am
hahha coreblimey, I made this a few years ago, bottled it and capped it in the husbands beer bottles, luckily I kept it on the front deck as it all started to explode after about 10 days, the first one I heard when i was inside and went out to investigate could not find anything, then while standing another one blew. Apparently i was supposed to bottle in soft drink bottles and release the pressure every so often??

noonesgirl, Nov 28, 1:55am
Rhubarb Relish
Mix 2c chopped rhubarb with 2c sliced onions, 1c vinegar, 2c br suagr, 1/2TBSP salt, cinnamon, ginger & cayenne to taste.
Boil 20 - 30 mins or until jam consistency. Bottle & seal.

biddy6, Nov 28, 4:17am
I too have a lot coming on so what I can't give away, I will be stewing and freezing it for winter puds.Rhubarb sponge is our favourite way of eating it.

noonesgirl, Nov 28, 8:50am
Rhubarb Crisp (Aunt Daisy)
Butter a pie dish & sprinkle with sugar & coat with a thick layer of kornies orcornflakes. Put a good layer of stewed,sweetened rhubarb. Cover with more flakes & sugar. Dot with butter & bake 20 mins.

nzbadger, Nov 28, 9:16am
• Rhubarb and Sour Cream Cake
60g butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
350g flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
4 cups rhubarb, cut to 1.5 cm lengths
250g sour cream
Topping
Combine together
1 1/2 tablespoons melted butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
Preheat oven to 180C
Grease 23 cm round tin
Cream butter and sugar add eggs, vanilla
Beat well
Add sifted flour, baking soda, salt
Then add rhubarb and sour cream
Combine well
Put in tin and sprinkle on topping
Bake 40-45 minutes or until cooked
Got this off here the other day. Sorry can't remember who from, BUT it is YUMMY!

chooky, Nov 28, 10:35am
Just finished off some stewed rhubarb tonight.I cut mine and freeze raw in 500g bags.Good in the winter time with a crumble on top. Here's a nice summer recipe.
Rhubarb Summer Pudding.
500g chopped rhubarb.
1/2 c whipped cream.
1/2 c sugar.
1/2 c water.
1 pkt raspberry jelly.
Cook Rhubarb, sugar, water and jelly until rhubarb is tender, when cool and begining to set, stir through whipped cream. Yummy straight front fridge.

kob, Nov 28, 6:06pm
heres a cheap way to make a rhubabrb pudd, chop some rhubabr and put into a pot of water to cover fruit only,bring tho the boil then drop temp and add a a jelly either starwbeery , raspberry or boysonberry stir till all disoloved and place in a bowl to cool, can be used as just jelly once set or you can then place fruit in a oven dish and add a crumble topping or a sponge topping to it, but it gives stwed rhyubabrb another edge to flavour

omokoroa1, Nov 25, 11:55pm
mmmmm nice daisy.do u have a recipe for the rhubarb chutney!

margyr, Nov 28, 1:10am
hahha coreblimey, I made this a few years ago, bottled it and capped it in the husbands beer bottles, luckily I kept it on the front deck as it all started to explode after about 10 days, the first one I heard when i was inside and went out to investigate could not find anything, then while standing another one blew. Apparently i was supposed to bottle in soft drink bottles and release the pressure every so often!

biddy6, Nov 28, 4:17am
I too have a lot coming on so what I can't give away, I will be stewing and freezing it for winter puds.Rhubarb sponge is our favourite way of eating it.

uli, Nov 28, 5:44am
Definitely rhubarb time again here, so maybe we get some more recipes.

2bakerz, Nov 28, 6:43am
odie6 - there are a couple of varieties in rhubarb.I always thought it had to be quite red, but after growing it again, the type I have never goes red, it just has a touch of pink at the base of the stalk.I have been using it for 5 years now, both freezing it raw and cooked, and using it fresh and to me it just tastes as nice as the red one I had before we moved.Apparently you can add a red gelatine if you want that colour, but tastewise it's fine just as is, on its own or with stewed apple.

nzbadger, Nov 28, 9:16am
• Rhubarb and Sour Cream Cake
60g butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
350g flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
4 cups rhubarb, cut to 1.5 cm lengths
250g sour cream
Topping
Combine together
1 1/2 tablespoons melted butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
Preheat oven to 180C
Grease 23 cm round tin
Cream butter and sugar add eggs, vanilla
Beat well
Add sifted flour, baking soda, salt
Then add rhubarb and sour cream
Combine well
Put in tin and sprinkle on topping
Bake 40-45 minutes or until cooked
Got this off here the other day. Sorry can't remember who from, BUT it is YUMMY!

bev00, Nov 28, 10:07am
My mum a kiwi who married a Dutchy makes these with baking powder rather than yeast as it takes less time to prepare, and she puts in rhubarb and currants to have the sweet and tart taste.

Mum's recipe for oilballs (ollie bollen) traditionally served new years day.
per person: 1c flour, 1 tsp baking powder, pinch salt, 1 egg, 1/2c currants, 1 Tbs oil, 1 Tbs corn flour, 1/3c cubed rhubarb.

Mix all ingreds to get a medium batter. Bring pot of oil to heat, when a crust of bread that has been dropped in gets bubbles around it it is hot enough. Drop tablespoons full of batter into the oil. They tend to be cooked when the float on top of the oil, and are medium brown in colour. Lift out with tongs or slotted spoon and place on paper towel. After 5-10 mins turn down the oil temp to half.

Break pieces off and dunk in icing sugar. Mum also uses granny smith apples instead of rhubarb. She also has oil for cooking in specially for this so other flavours don't taint it, and next morning she strains the oil through a paper towel and sieve to put back in the bottle.

Quotesusievb (471 )12:29 pm,