Rewana Bread HELP PLZ

Page 1 / 2
omokoroa1, Nov 25, 11:49pm
ok 1st time making.........i have made the bug and have been feeding for the last few days.......its stop bubbling can i keep the process going or do i have to start a new bug..............or shall i just start making the bread just i will be gutted if it doesnt work.......and yes it has been in a warm place i cant figure what i may have done wrong.........help please thank you

utegirl7, Nov 26, 1:17am
bumpin'...........

beaker59, Nov 26, 2:18am
Keep feeding and make a small loaf to test action should be Ok in this weather it can sometimes be too active so it consumes all the sugars before you get a chance to observe :) If the loaf is no good then still keep feeding until you get some action.

jaydan1, Nov 26, 7:48am
Ooh so delish,rewena bread reminds me of family get togethers. My nan gave my dad the actual bug ( 2 jars) and sadly he let it sit for to long and it died. She's passed away now and I would love to make it as a suprise for my family this year...Omokora1 would you mind telling me how the bug is made...step by step if it's not to much trouble, I would be very grateful.

morgana-rose, Nov 26, 8:25pm
Here's the one from the old maori cookbook
Rewena Paraoa - Potato Bread
Original version from the Maori Cookbook
INTRODUCTION:
Traditionally baked by Maori, Rewena Paraoa is made with the use of rewa (potato) which gives the Rewena (potato bread) a much firmer texture.It is the perfect accompaniment to Boil-ups, Stews, Casseroles and/or the traditionally cooked Hangi.Rewena can be prepared in advance of any occasion, baked and also eaten hot with butter, jams and/or golden syrup or cold with a fresh pot of tea.If you keep up with the plant, when unexpected guests arrive you can make up your Rewena and pop it in the oven for a delicious snack.The Rewena Paraoa goes through several methods of preparation over a period of a few days and it may appear daunting initially just by reading the recipe below however you will quickly pick it up in the application (making process) and it will become much easier each time.Persistence pays in that the Rewena is one of the most delicious bread!
Some 'plants/bug' have been handed down from generation to generation and are very much used today in baking fresh Rewena.Once you begin your plant and keep at the process you can share a portion with whanau and friends so that they can begin their plant process too.
There are 3 Steps/Stages to making Rewena Paraoa; Step One involves making the Original Starter Plant; Step Two involves daily feeding for the Plant to rise (prove). Step Three is using a greater portion of the Starter Plant to make the actual Rewena Paraoa, while also keeping a portion aside, which becomes your next Starter Plant. From the set aside portion simply follow the process of feeding by repeating Steps Two & Three and there will always be a supply of Rewena Paraoa ready to go.Refer to ‘Notes & Tips' for more information.
Step One - Original Starter Plant/Bug:
Starter Plant is also known as ‘Bug’ and/or Leavening
INGREDIENTS:
2 Cups Flour
3 Medium Potatoes
1 Cup Water
1 tspn Sugar
METHOD:
Day One:
To make Starter Plant, Peel, slice and boil potato in 1 cup of water to mashing consistency.
Mash potato thoroughly with any remaining water in pot & set aside.
When lukewarm add flour and sugar, mix all ingredients together to a fairly firm texture. Mixture should be a dough-like resemblance.
Cover and leave in a warm place to prove/ferment.
Note:
Warm Tropical Weather:Place uncovered plant on a bench in a warm sunny place. Due to warmer conditions, plant may require only 1 day of feeding (Step Two - Day Two) if Starter plant begins to rise and bubble it is ready to make into Rewena Paraoa (Step Three).
Cold Winter Weather with Hot Water Cupboard:Place uncovered plant inside a hot water cupboard. I have found storing your plant on the bench in cool conditions does not allow for a suitable rise in the plant where the hot water cupboard does. It may take 2-3 days of daily feeds (Step Two - Day Two) until the starter plant is ready for Step Three.
Cold Weather with No Hot Water Cupboard Inside House:Any cupboard in your house that is dry, ideally next to the oven/stove, heater or fireplace should do, or on the bench or dresser where it catches a lot of sun, make sure it is covered well. Failing that, try wrapping the bowl in a tea towel, than a towel and pop in a plastic bag and tie loosely, enough to allow a little air to flow, yet to build up warmth inside the bag to begin the fermenting process. It really is trial and error and even if it is cold, it will still ferment the bug, it may just take a little longer just ensure the room/area is dry and not so moist.
Step Two - Feeding your Original Starter Plant Daily
INGREDIENTS:
Potato - 1 medium size
Water -1 Cup
Sugar - 1 teaspoon
METHOD:
Day Two & Three:
To feed the above plant daily, peel, cut and boil potato in 1 cup of water.
When boiled remove the potatoes and retain the liquid, set liquid aside until lukewarm.
Pour 1 cup of warm liquid mixed with 1 teaspoon of sugar into

morgana-rose, Nov 26, 8:27pm
the starter plant (made the day before) and mix well.
Store again in a warm place to continue in the proving/fermenting process.
Repeat this process on Day Three.
Note:
On days 2 & 3 starter plant should resemble a thick creamy consistency similar to batter. The plant should rise and form bubbles, this is a good indicator the plant is ready for Step Three.
It is ok if plant has a sour odor to it. Do not discard it is fermenting well.
Step Three - Making Rewena Paraoa from the Starter Plant
INGREDIENTS:
5 CupsFlour
1 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 Cup Water -(approx)
METHOD:
Pre-heat oven to 200c.
Grease and lightly flour 2 Baking Trays (Pizza Trays are ideal) or 2 medium size (approx 20cms in diameter) Round Baking Tins and/or Loaf Tins- set aside.
In a large bowl sift flour and salt and make a well in the centre, pour in all of the Starter Plant and sprinkle baking soda over starter plant. Mix ingredients until combined adding extra water if required.
Turn out onto floured bench and knead lightly for approximately 10 minutes.
Take out a scoop (approx 2 dessertspoons) and use this to make another plant, following through with daily feeding as to Step Two - Day Two & Three. May require an additional cup (or 2) of sifted Plain Flour added to mixture to maintain a thick batter like consistency. By continuing this process you can always have a plant handy to make Rewena Paraoa every few days.
With the remaining dough, split in 1/2 and shape into baking tins or onto trays.
Bake in pre-heated over for approximately 30-40 minutes or until golden. Turn out of trays, slice and eat hot with butter, golden syrup, jam and a good cup of tea!Leftover Rewena is best covered with a clean damp tea-towel to maintain freshness.
TIPS
Some plants have a sour liquid at the bottom that can be used to make extra sour tasting Rewena Paraoa - a preference of some whanau. Otherwise discard this liquid.
Depending how often one uses their plant, if a crust forms simply remove the crust top and sour liquid (if preferred) and make a fresh plant. It is good practice to freshen the plant by repeating this process every now and then.
Use ‘old’ potatoes if available, as they are flourier.
If you haven’t used your bug in some time and it has a sour odor, remove the liquid and using the fine side of a grater, grate a potato to sweeten and continue with feeding until it begins to rise and bubble again.
If you don’t plan on making Rewena Paraoa for some time, store a piece of plant (after its been kneaded) in a sealed container full of flour. When ready remove plant and begin the feeding process as to Step Two.
If you prefer to store your bug in the fridge, it will die if left too long.
Use kumara in place of the potato for a sweeter tasting Rewena. Sprinkle granulated sugar on top of Rewena prior to baking to give that bakery-crystallized appearance. Can substitute plain flour with mochiko (rice flour), ideal for wheat free (Gluten Intolerant)

tipsy_bl0nde, Nov 26, 9:36pm
x1
that is so interesting reading this its like a science experiment

guest, Jan 16, 11:24pm
Thank you so much for the step by step on how to make the Rewana bug...My grandmother and Aunties made this for us a lot when I was a child growing up...I have to buy it from a shop and it is not the same tasting as I remember it and my kids love it so here's to making the real thing...Thank you so much for sharing this...Blessings Marie

guest, Jan 24, 10:15pm
lol hiya all gosh forgotten id put this message up i was googling something else and thought oh heres something that might help lol

anyways still didnt figure what id done wrong to the bug rang an aunt and she suggested putting a raw potato in with the bug and leave till the nxt day which i did but nothing happened so had to start again from scratch

finally after lots of trails and errors i got it and the bread has come out beautifully my house hold,neighbours,friends are so over rewana bread lol so ive taken a break a rather long month+ break and now i got figitty fingers lol

ok im goin to try make another bug BUT this time using KUMARA and not potato ok copied this and replaced potato with the KUMARA

2c Flour
3 med Potatoes
1c Water
1tsp Sugar

Peel, slice and boil potato in water to mashing consistency.
Mash potato thoroughly with any remaining water in pot & set aside.
When lukewarm, add flour and sugar, mix together to a fairly firm texture. Mixture should resemble dough.
Cover and leave in a warm place to ferment.

lol i put that up because i know somebody is goin to ask what was your recipe

i never follow measurements i pretty much just chuck it in never measure anything lol as long as i know whats got to go in im all sweet

I will keep you posted (if i remember) on the out come

cheers from the Bay of Plenty

omokoroa1, Sep 23, 7:45pm
x1
neva heard of baking soda for rewana.thats not traditional

omokoroa1, Sep 23, 7:53pm
post 6 and 7.i already have the recipe

purplegoanna, Sep 23, 8:33pm
traditional starter is potato water, sugar and flour.

shyly, Sep 23, 9:06pm
My starter/Ihi originates from a cabbage tree! Recipes adapt, i use honey instead ofsugar and sometimes i use rice flour.

deus701, Sep 23, 9:12pm
Yes, you can keep going. Some starters can be dormant for 6 months and have been successfully reactivated. If it looks like a brown liquid, its better to chuck it.or you can try reviving it.

buzzy110, Sep 23, 9:19pm
Glad you said that. I'd have been shot down in flames a mile high if I had pointed that out in another thread. Anyway, if the starter is good, why use the soda! It is a bit like the recipes I have come across for sour dough where commercial yeast is added. ***shakes head in despair****. Absolutely no need.

elliehen, Sep 23, 10:08pm
I had an old Papua New Guinea cookery book where The Little Sisters of Mercy at the Mission made their own wild yeast.yeast is in the very air we breathe ;)

beaker59, Sep 24, 7:12am
Everyone did 100 years ago.

uli, Sep 25, 5:06am
".made their own wild yeast." - It is called sourdough.
The same as rewana - another type of sourdough.

omokoroa1, Sep 25, 5:57am
yeah buzzy i hear u on that Kare.just utter BS to have baking soda in a traditional rewana bread .yup need we say who would of shot u to bits ! eeekk because it holds the name thinks its a kitchen gift
Using soda is a cheats way out my nanny would disown me if she knew id made bread like that
haha! gosh im hopeless at writing stuff downits easier for me to show and tell

omokoroa1, Sep 25, 6:13am
(Original plant) or bug ( haha! just a name and no its not a bug if that makes sense)
1 medium potato
cup water
tsp sugar
2 cups of plain flour

peel the potato cut up and cook in water (DO NOT SALT THE WATER)
until soft ready for mashing
add the sugar then let cool to lukewarm now mix flour into potato mix to form a soft dough
cover and keep in a warm place till next day.haha! to get its groove on

elliehen, Sep 25, 6:43am

elliehen, Sep 25, 6:57am
Why don't you get one of your mokopuna to make a video and post it on YouTube!

omokoroa1, Sep 25, 5:06pm
ellie i dont haveany moko's

katzl, Oct 6, 12:06pm
lol this makes me laugh the way sharing of a ancient art of making rewana on a board hika ma! my nana would have curled her toes up to see this lol
I remember her making it out in the papara kauta early in the dusk hammering away as soon as someone come in she would stand tall in front of it to hide it from those that entered the papara kaute for warmth. when they leave she would mutter under her breathe see that moko! trying to tahae our rewa for their stinky booze! lol or that wahine eye balling my oven moko dont u let her near it she got panawera on her hands! lol argh those were the days eh when tuna streamed down the open smoke houses, woman were woman and men did what they were told lol

elliehen, Oct 6, 11:42pm
I hope she let you in on some of her secrets :)