Can i bake xmas cake in cardboard boxes??

sathan81, Nov 25, 1:08am
Ok so i am a first timer to making xmas cake, i have my mums recipe, and i am wanting to make cakes as gifts. I have heard that you can make cardboard boxes and bake them in them. Is this true?? I think they would look really neat.

cookessentials, Nov 25, 1:20am
No, I have never heard of cardboard boxes. There are disposable cake boxes in Christmas themes that you can get (similar to a pannetone box) other than that, wooden cake boxes are used to bake Christmas cakes in.

skipper42, Nov 25, 1:38am
I have been making and baking xmas cakes in timber boxes for years...make great xmas presents to.

As the baking temp for a cake is usually around the 150 to 160 degrees, no worries about catching fire.

I suggest placing a cardboard box in the oven at the correct temp and see what happens. But I suspect you will be fine.

cookessentials, Nov 25, 1:51am
A wooden cake box is vastly different to a cardboard box though.

fifie, Nov 25, 2:52am
Haven't heard of baking a large cake in cardboard, wouldn't it discolour with even a low heat? used to sit all my big wedding cakes on magazines to bake to stop bottoms burning, and they discoloured. Wooden boxes are the way to go now if you need to get a tin, then use your pretty made cardboard box to sit it in for gifts.

skipper42, Nov 25, 2:56am
x1
Yes it is, but often people line their baking tins with layers of newspaper to help insulate the cake mix and prevent burning. The newspaper never seems to burn so would assume cardboard wouldn't either.

But as I suggested....give it a try. Nothing to loose except an empty cardboard box.

kiwitrish, Nov 25, 3:01am
Never heard of baking cakes in cardboard boxes and wouldn't like to try it.What type of cardbooard box are you thinking of using?

sathan81, Nov 25, 4:53am
A coca cola box, lol.
Na, making say a 10cm base with say 5cm high sides, stapling it together and lining it with a couple sheets of baking paper. I am sure i saw this on good morning, Alison Holst done it, she also said you can use large fish tins???

coreblimey, Nov 25, 9:46am
I went to a christmas baking class at Millies in Parnell last night where she showed us cardboard boxes that are used for baking cakes in!!I was most surprised to say the least but they were really pretty things, most small for making cakes to gift.Also wooden boxes which look fabulous!!Probably too late to make a christmas cake now though??

calista, Nov 25, 7:49pm
Yes you can cook in cardboard boxes, at least if you are baking small cakes.Alison Holst has a Christmas cake recipe that uses pineapple and is in a few of her books.The recipe is for 23cm square or diameter cake, or 2 18 cm cakes or (I think it's )1210cm cakes and the different times at temps for baking them.

One Christmas someone posted on here that there was an article in the Otago Daily Times about cakemaking , so I looked it up.A bunch of students had taken a 20cm square of heavy card (not board as it doesn't bend well) and stapled it into boxes that were 10 cm square and 5cm deep.Then they had a decorating competition using glace cherries and nuts.

Also one of the companies that sells dried fruit put out a booklet a couple of years ago with a recipe for making tiny cakes (think Texas muffin size) in the small cardboard boxes I think coreblimey is talking about. I lost mine in my last tidy up :-(

I'm making my cakes this weekend as the earthquake has disrupted my usual schedule.

indy95, Nov 26, 4:06am
There was abrief " fashion " some years ago for baking heavy fruit cakes in cardboard cartons. It was supposed to insulate the cake in much the same way as a wooden box and remove the need to line the cake tin with multiple sheets of paper. I tried it once for a Christmas cake but wasn't particularly happy with the result.

uli, Nov 26, 5:43am
Never too late to make a cake :)

rainrain1, Nov 26, 5:53am
It's never too late to fall in love poopy doo poopy doo ;-)

guest, Jun 29, 7:54pm
there are recipes to bake a cake using an empty soda box. it is portable and you dont have to worry about the container... :)