Any cake recipes using sour cream

sticky232, Nov 23, 7:35am
was going to make a cake thought there was sour cream in recipe but wasnt it was yogurt

gardie, Nov 23, 7:53am
Just replace the yoghurt with sour cream. They are both cultured milk products - it'll be fine.You may need a little extra milk for mixing if its a bit dry though.

rosathemad, Nov 23, 6:39pm
I love my carrot cake with sour cream - makes it so moist. The recipe is on this post: http://www.mrscake.co.nz/2010/08/diet-cake.html - don't be put off by the title, in this instance I made it into bite-sized cakes and just called it diet cake because the serving size was limited, but it makes a great full-sized cake. Gardie is right, though, if you were planning to make something specific it should work anyway with the sour cream.

pam.delilah, Nov 23, 6:42pm
Banana and sour cream cake
125g butter, softened
1 cup caster sugar
3 eggs
1 cup mashed banana, plus 2 to slice for the filling
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup ground almonds
1 cup self-raising flour
1 tsp cinnamon
Whipped cream
Icing sugar
1 Preheat oven to 180C. Grease or line the cake tin.
2 Cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time then add the banana and fold through.
3 Mix the vanilla, sour cream and baking soda together then add to the banana mixture. Stir in the ground almonds.
4 Sift the flour and cinnamon then add. Spoon into the prepared tin and bake for approximately 50 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
5 When the cake is cool, slice in half and spread with whipped cream and sliced bananas. Dust the top layer liberally with icing sugar.

pam.delilah, Nov 23, 6:44pm
Chocolate sour cream Cake
Fills 3 8inch round pans

1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate morsels
1/2 cup butter, softened
16oz (1 package) of light brown sugar
3 large eggs
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 8oz container of sour cream
1 cup hot water
2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350.
Melt chocolate in microwave for about 1 1/2 minutes or until smooth, stirring every 30 seconds.
Beat butter and brown sugar until well blended.
Add vanilla and then add eggs 1 at a time beating until just incorporated.
Add melted chocolate beating until blended.
Sift flour, baking soda, and salt.
Gradually add to chocolate mixture, alternating with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour. Beat after every addition until blended.
Gradually add 1 cup of hot water in a steady stream at low until blended.
the batter is going to look extremely thin and you might think you've messed up, but it's going to be perfect :)
Pour batter into paper lined cake pans.
Bake at 350 for 40-50 minutes cakes.
Place baked cakes on cooling rack for 15 minutes before removing from pan to completely cool

pam.delilah, Nov 23, 6:45pm
Lemon Sour Cream Cake

125g softened butter,
2tsp grated lemon rind,
1C sugar,
3 eggs,
1C flour,
1tsp baking powder,
half cup sour cream,
icing sugar.

Preheat oven to 160`C.
Grease and line a 20cm cake tin.
Beat butter, lemon rind, sugar and eggs together until light and fluffy. Sift flour and baking powder together.
Fold sifted ingredients into egg mixture alternately with the sour cream, mixing until smooth.
Pour into cake tin.
Bake 45 mins, or until centre springs back when lightly touched.
Stand in tin 5-10 mins before turning out onto a cooling rack.
When cold dust with icing sugar.

lil_angel_kel, Nov 30, 6:36am
I can vouch that this is a gorgeous cake! I get so many comments on it whenever I make it :)I also add lemon juice to it to make it more lemony :)

elliehen, Nov 30, 10:13am
lil_angel_kel....Maybe pour lemon juice over it while it's still hot from the oven??

lil_angel_kel, Dec 2, 8:23am
Oooh that would be good too! :)I usually put the juice of 1 lemon and then a little bit extra in, and its a perfect amount.Then I sprinkle icing sugar over the top - so easy to make, and so tasty! :)

2bakerz, Sep 25, 2:57am
And Brianmac's (I think?) BEAUTIFUL lemon yoghurt cake using greek yoghurt...never fails and absolutely delicious.Was on T/Me Cooks some time ago.