Bought mincemeat for xmas tarts

dawnay, Nov 23, 12:25am
Can anyone suggest a nice tasty one to buy at supermarket please.
Also any suggestions as to what to add to it if nec. to make it tastier.Thanks.

lizab, Nov 23, 1:07am
brandy!! :) sorry can't help with which one to buy as I like making my own, but would definitely suggest adding brandy and maybe some fresh orange zest to bought mincemeat.

buzzy110, Nov 23, 1:19am
Tasti always makes the best bought one IMO. The others just lack the flavour, filled as they are with fillers of no real taste. However, the very best is one you make yourself. I usually just mince up whatever I feel like, add in as much cinnamon, mixed spice, cloves and nutmeg as I think appropriate, drown in sherry or brandy (but even a cheaper run or whiskey will do) with lots of fresh lemon juice, seal and store in fridge for next year.

Things that I put in can include the usual suspects - raisin, currants, sultanas, mixed peel and slivered almonds. Then you can decide whether to add dates, apricots, prunes or any of the new dried fruits coming onto the market such as cranberries, apples, mango (I personally wouldn't). I always use suet but most people don't. Makes no difference. And I usually add a grated apple or two. Some people like to add sugar - brown or raw sugar adds a nice flavour but I think it is sweet enough.

Halfway through the year you can add another good dollop of alcohol and by next Xmas you will have something rich and wonderful. Make enough and it could last you two Xmas'.

Once upon a time mince was actually beef or lamb mince with fruit added. Over time the meat has given way to fruit only and people have just made their own concoctions us as they saw fit.

tigerlilly16, Nov 23, 1:25am
The ones I have bought have all been too sweet/sickly for my tastes, so I would probably add some grated granny smith or nice tart apple, and maybe some lemon juice/zest to tone it back a bit. Some of them have overpowering cloves taste too. Mince pies are a pretty subjective thing - everyone has their own idea of what they should taste like, I guess depending on what you were bought up with. Best to have a taste of whichever one you buy and adjust it to your tastes.

floralsun, Nov 23, 3:44am
Add some almond essence, or grate some chilled almond paste and add to the mincemeat.
Add grated apple too - as Tiger has said, Granny Smith is great.
Making your own short pastry is easy, - made in moments if you have a food processor.

lynja, Nov 23, 6:42am
i always add some brandy, chopped apricots and crushed drained pineapple to my bought mince meat. sometimes some almonds too.

dawnay, Aug 29, 6:42pm
Thanks all, so much.Hopefully I will find time to make my own, but if not I now have lots of good ideas for using a bought one.Great!