Boiled fruit pudding. I am thinking of making one

yapper, Nov 22, 8:28am
for this Saturday. Trouble is, recipe is 'Serves 16' and there are only six of us. My question is if I halve it, does that affect the cooking time? This is one that you wrap in a tea towel and cook for three hours. I really don't want to make it so large as ingreds are expensive-ish and would rather make smaller one.Your thoughts please?

cookessentials, Nov 22, 8:32am
I do mine in a stainless steel n( nor my new Williams Sonoma quick cooker) 1.7L pudding basin withh the clip on lid.

juliewn, Nov 22, 9:49am
Hi.. yes, I'd cook it for the same amount of time..

Place something in the pot beneath the bottom of the pudding - a folded tea-towel is fine, so the pudding isn't against the bottom. Keep the water level so the pudding is mostly covered - you may need to add boiling water straight from a kettle (so the water round the pudding stays in boiling water) at times to keep the level right.

Enjoy your pudding.. and don't forget to close your eyes and make a wish when you stir the mix :-)

yapper, Nov 22, 10:12am
Thanks to you both. Re putting something in the pot under the pudding, the recipe says that I should tie string around it and then tie the string around the handles to keep the pudding from touching the bottom!Your way sure sounds easier, juliewn!It's got interesting fruit in it, like dried pears, dried apples, dried cranberries - I'm quite excited!

juliewn, Nov 22, 10:27am
Sounds delicious :-).. let us know how you get on.. and share the recipe here or in the Christmas threads if you'd like to.. and... don't forget to make a wish! :-)

cookessentials, Aug 26, 4:48pm
I use a tea saucer turned upside down in the stock pot and place the basin on the top.