Annabel Langbein is really popular at the mo

vintagekitty, Nov 21, 9:09am
why is that?

greerg, Nov 21, 9:29am
Ithink her new series has shown her cooking some delicious things which are comparatively easy to replicate.I have made several recipes so far and they have all been good.The setting in which the show is filmed is also really attractive and the whole thing has a summer holidays feelthat seems right just now VK.

elliehen, Nov 21, 11:01am
Annabel Langbein was in Nelson last Friday promoting her book and is quoted as saying that her show seemed to be reaching "people who aren't cooks, who are good cooks, who are new cooks and who are old cooks."

She also thought that it was successful because it was based on her family and things they did in real life. "It was authentic, we didn't make it up....it's not about having the $100,000 kitchen."She was planning to stay in a bach at Kaiteriteri Beach and was excited about the thought of gathering cockles, taking a packet of pasta, some chilli, garlic, olive oil and parsley, "And then I'm away."(Nelson Mail)

kob, Nov 21, 5:43pm
i think also we all get extremely bored with our cooking by this time of year, and she gives added inspiration to a bored cook, and re invents recipes that we may have forgotton or those that need tweaking in some aspect. BUt the ingredients are not stuff you have to import from the netherlands to try either they are store cupboard ingredients.

accroul, Nov 21, 7:22pm
meh, popoularity in this house is based on wether or not the DH will watch it. He stays in for Nigella Lawson, but not Langbein

motorbo, Nov 21, 7:37pm
its called very clever marketing, ive been a fan of hers for years, back when no one knew who she was, but i read how they were planning to market her all over the world and whom ever is doing it is also doing it for jamie Oliver, think it migth be food trv not sure, but yeah if you get all the basics right and then add a good cooking show the books sell

maynard9, Nov 21, 9:42pm
I have all her books and have enjoyed her simplicity of cooking for many years - long before she became such a household name.

I guess you would have to have a good marketing manager and campaign these days to make any money out of books.

I know on previous threads people have been commenting on the price of her latest book- but if you look at it from her point of view I don't blame her.She is obvioiusly a very generous person with providing so many recipes during the show, it's available on 'demand', plus her website she provides a wide range of recipes.They also have the ongoing issue of sites like this giving away other recipes - literally copied straight out of her book.
Since the programme started there have been several threads with people requesting the recipes.It must be a nightmare not being able to control the copyright - and in her defence I want to say 'why don't you buy the book'.This is after all her living and I sometimes feel sorry cook book writers with the easy accessibility of 'sharing' their recipes.
For me the Internet will never replace a well presented and produced cookbook I can hold in my hand and get splashes over the pages, and I am happy to pay for it.

jia5, Nov 21, 9:51pm
I have just ordered my copy through flybuys.

elliehen, Nov 21, 10:16pm
But is it for the cooking or the cleavage?;)

accroul, Nov 22, 3:21am
No, it's not the cleavage, it's her bedroom eyes & the way she licks her finger.

eastie3, Nov 22, 4:50am
I'm another long time fan and the reason is that her recipes work - she is very reliable.I have many of her books and I particularly like Cooking to Impress Without Stress - that book is very well used,with pages sticking together with food splatters.I have been to Ruth Pretty's cooking school when Annabel has been the featured cook,and and she is wonderful - very personable with no airs and graces and generous with her time and tips,and friendly.

motorbo, Nov 22, 6:06am
hey ellie i agree i luv nothing more than a lazy afternoon on the couch reading my cookbooks, nothing can replace them!! i just purchased an impressive vegetarian cookbook by a young irish guy

kiwibubbles, Nov 22, 7:18am
ooh how many flybuy points for the book?

uli, Nov 22, 8:18am

vintagekitty, Nov 22, 8:35am
whats that link got to do with the discussion?

I might go and buy the Annabel Langbein Cookbook, sounds great

sylvia1, Nov 22, 8:40am
275 flyby points for this book. Got it last week and love it.

vintagekitty, Nov 22, 8:42am
I have flybuy points and have never used them, Im going to get the cookbook- great idea

accroul, Nov 22, 9:55am
She might have bedroom eyes uli, but DH fires blanks so there's no need for diet busting deep-fried bounty bars!

kob, Nov 22, 4:34pm
yes i9m at 257 flybuys so swipping my card frantically, mind you i have given that many hints tho that i might wait till after xmas then i will get it for sure

lillol, Nov 22, 10:54pm
Well I normally hate hate hate cooking programmes and can't understand why there are so many on at the moment, they bore me silly. But for some reason I love Annabels show. I really look forward to it, could be because of the beautiful location, the way she just walks outside when she wants ingredients, or the way she presents herself and the food. She's even got me wanting her book.

floralsun, Nov 23, 3:49am
It is a beautiful site - is it Lake Wanaka??

accroul, Nov 23, 4:33am
Jamie Oliver's on tonight - I have books to read so I'll just listen but I have tasty nibbles lined up for Weird & Wacky Heston......

seniorbones, Nov 23, 6:57am
Hopefully Santa is getting it for me, paperplus had it on sale so asked someone to get it for me, just as well I'm too busy to even look at it at the moment ...and yes its Lake Wanaka...but I keep missing the shows, have to watch 'tv on demand' and then I run out of gb's on my computer and it goes back to dial up slooooooowwwwnnnneeesss.

toilliagigilm, Feb 23, 3:20am
garbin itiro centam rotators servi