Fried bread

waiariki1, Feb 6, 8:50pm
Hi does anyone know how to make fried bread which is crispy on the outside and soft in the middle I had a mussel fritter at waitangi yesterday and the fried bread it was in was so nice mine never seems to be soft inside thanks in anticipation

jan2242, Feb 6, 9:37pm
This is the one I make and is soft in the middle.
In a bowl put 2 tbsp yeast, 1 tbsp sugar, salt, 2 tbsp flour and approx 2 cups warm water. Leave for 10 minutes till frothy. Add 4 cups of flour and knead. Pat out into a square and cut in to pieces. Deep fry.

goldgurl, Feb 6, 9:42pm
just turned the food chanel on and saw bobby flay cooking up his fried bread dough, I just heard him say that the baking powder was doing it's thing... - totally pissed that I missed him make up the dough...can't be much to it though..I'd like a slightly sweet one...

Will give your one a go though jan...would it still turn out right if I put a bit more sugar?

waiariki1, Feb 6, 11:32pm
Thankyou jan2242 I am going to give it a try tonight I have been making it with Self raising flour so I think your recipe is just what I need thanks again.

haulier, Feb 6, 11:45pm
fried bread,
2 cups self raising flour,1 cup plain flour,salt,1 heaped tablespoon sugar,1/2 cup milk and 1/2cup boiling water mixed together.mix and cover with cloth.leave to stand for 1 hour in a warm place.flatten out,cut in pieces and fry in oil.You may have to add more milk and water.I keep adding equal amount until I get a good manageable dough

miss-skyline, Nov 19, 3:30am
ive just made this recipe and it turned out lovely.........

alfredtonroad, Nov 19, 7:49am
use lard to fry

gardie, Nov 19, 8:22am
How deep does the oil need to be? (Minimum)I'm not a fan of frying things but I do love a good fried bread.

anabelles, Aug 20, 7:57am
Make Breadmaker dough.(Takes 45mins in my breadmaker) Roll it out quite thinly. Cut into squares or other shapes. Shallow fry in a mixture of Light olive oil and butter. I usually divide the dough in 2 and keep some in the fridge for another day (This only works if you have only 2 - 4 people as it is so nice!!)