Potato salad

Page 1 / 4
3084me, Dec 20, 5:10am
there was a thread up a few weeks ago with a recipe for potato salad with red onion, sour cream (or cream cheese? I cant remember?) and mayonaise ..... could someone please redo the recipe for me as I forgot to print it out and want to make it for xmas day

please and thanks

fisher, Dec 20, 6:12am
There are two secrets to a good Potato Salad and I'm going to tell you what they are...:}} This is my Ma's recipe all the way from Germany..
Place your chunked up potatoes into a saucepan with COLD water, some salt and add three eggs.. Bring water to boil until potatoes are "knife tender", remove eggs and set aside on the bench and drain water from saucepan.. put spuds into a bowl and add a finely diced onion..
Now the tasty bit... grab your pickle jar and very finely dice up two pickles.Pour 50mls of the pickle juice into a bowl, mix in some american mustard.. and a good 1/4 cup of mayonnaise.. add some dill weed preferably fresh from the garden but masterfoods is fine..
Peel the eggs and slice, add two to the spud mix..Now gently "fold", adding the mayo mix and coating the potatoes.. Layer the last egg on the top and sprinkle some paprika for decoration and flavour...Parsley is a great addition if you want...

cottagerose, Dec 20, 7:07am
dice potatoes and cook in the microwave,drain and when cold add hard boiled eggs cut up into bite size pieces,raw onion.
Mix sour cream,curry to taste and just a cheap mayo.
A little more mayo than sour cream is good
Add this to the cold potato etc.

duckmoon, Dec 20, 9:17am
I agree with the gerkins... Hubby's collegue is german, and I got that tip from her... Will try adding the gerkin juice to the mayo - I have always added some milk to my store-bought mayo - to make it an easier consistency to stir through the potatoes.

micky_1, Dec 20, 9:22am
even better now you can buy the sliced gherkin...real easy to chop for spud salad...I always put sour cream through the diced spud while still warm add finely diced red onion and very small diced carrots then let cool when cool add dressing ( seriously good mayomixed with spud salad dressing) and lastly add chopped gherkins can also add some very well drained and dried red and green cocktail onopns for a xmasy colour...always a hit with my family

pickles7, Dec 20, 3:44pm
....Fisher....fancy boiling eggs with food you will eat , That is shocking.....

mango5, Dec 20, 8:07pm
Fisher...Is this potato salad ok to make Thursday night for friday lunch?

colliers, Dec 20, 8:39pm
It's something to do with the eggshell - I had a friend who used to put an egg in a sock, tie it to the kettle handle and when she boiled the water for her cuppa the egg would cook at the same time!! The inside of the kettle was coated with whatever it was that came out of the eggshell.

colliers, Dec 20, 8:41pm
Recipe - I just use sour cream mixed with eta italian or french salad dressing. Always get people asking for the recipe.,.,.,..

fisher, Dec 20, 11:28pm
Mango5... it will be SUPERB fri lunch, just put in fridge loosely covered... dont peel/layer the last egg but store in fridge..Friday, once again, turn salad over gently to mix.. peel, slice egg and add to top of salad with paprika and few small sprigs parsley for presentation...
Please make it... let me know what you think...Please dont leave out the gherkin or dill ..Have a great xmas...
Pickles7.. not worth a reply..

funshop72, Dec 21, 9:26am
hi hey how much american mustard would you need to put in with this yuumy sounding dish

mango5, Dec 21, 8:35pm
I can't wait to make it.It is on my to do list for thursday night, and as funshop said how much mustard?

dbab, Dec 21, 9:34pm
Try about a tsp of whole grain mustard along with other ingredients.

fisher, Dec 21, 9:38pm
I use the masterfoods american mustard and a "good squirt" or two.. We actually buy cheap "budget" mayo just to make the potato salad...
When you make up the dressing, just put a little of all the ingredients in at a time, mixing, and have a wee taste test.. keep adding till you get that flavour you want..
You want the subtle flavour of mild american mustard just as a background... the gherkin and dill is the pronounced flavours you want..

funshop72, Dec 21, 10:28pm
thanks for that cant wait to make it christmas morning early

shelley39, Dec 22, 1:23am
would this be o.k to use kumara instead of potato

uli, Dec 22, 1:26am
The mystery substance is called "calcium". Google it!

fisher, Dec 22, 1:26am
never done it with Kumara...but I reckon orange kumura would be good.. as long as its not over cooked... knife tender be good...

pickles7, Dec 22, 1:42am
Cooking the eggs in with your chunked up potatoes ..... If even one egg cracked while it was being cooked, the scum that this will cause will be over your potatoes.... I personally would have to throw the potatoes out... Nothing compares, with home made mayo....

fisher, Dec 22, 3:57am
diddums.. you do it your way and i'll do it mine...how pedantic of you...so you have never eaten soft boiled eggs.. that SCUM you so well call it, is in there as well..geeeesh, why am I explaining it to YOU of all people..your recipe for potato salad in the other thread is an abomination.. shame for advising people to do that for a xmas dinner..

fisher, Dec 22, 4:16am
"Nothing compares, with home made mayo...."and then you say ...

"Cut up boiled potatoes into bite size , dice ...dress with a jar of bought potato salad dressing..thin with milk if need be"

So which is it..????

mercury14, Dec 22, 10:07am
$100.00 to win on Fisher. Awesome help to all and lovely recipes. Choc chips in potato salad, blerk, you must be kidding. Somehow I don't think you are.

daisyk, Dec 22, 7:42pm
Thank you for this gorgeous recipe, Fisher.I made it last night - just divine.

fisher, Dec 22, 8:35pm
Cheers daisyk... with one overseas and the other lot coming here early January.. its gonna be just me and Kathy and just roast a nice piece of pork with a sage and onion gravy.. dont really want roast veges so will also make the potato salad and grab some zucchini and bok choy from the garden and steam them with a nice herbed butter..a choccy sorbet and eton mess, then some xmas cake with espresso and that will make it a real easy xmas..

funshop72, Dec 22, 9:52pm
did you use dill weed never have used that stuff before not sure if ive ever tasted it either