Egg yokes

tickandnans, Nov 17, 8:57pm
I have made pavs and now have lots of yokes left does anyone have any ideas on what to do with them?

245sam, Nov 17, 9:12pm
tickandnans, try doing a search here on this Trademe MB using egg yolks as the Keywords and Anytime as the Date posted option - you'll find the earlier threads with suggestions/ideas that should help you out but first a couple of suggestions from me.....
Use the egg yolks to make a curd-type topping for on the pavlovas - although I haven't actually done this myself I have enjoyed both orange and lemon curd toppings on pavlovas.
Use the egg yolks for crumbing schnitzels, chicken, fish, etc.

Hope that helps.:-))

rosathemad, Nov 17, 9:23pm
Custard or anything that uses custard works well - ice-cream, creme brulee - I made a pav last weekend and used the yolks to make crema catalana, which is a Spanish creme brulee. Recipe is here: http://www.mrscake.co.nz/2010/11/crema-catalana.html

You could just have it as very rich custard without the burnt top if you wanted, too (though I love the crunchy sugar)

dollmakernz, Nov 18, 3:01am
Egg Yolk Sponge
Beat together 3-4 egg yolks and ½c sugar. Add ¼c boiling water and beat again.
sift and add 3oz flour, 1oz cornflour, 1tsp baking powder and a pinch of salt.
Bake 180º in a loose bottom tin

buzzy110, Nov 18, 3:43am
ICE CREAM
8Egg Yolks
3 cupsThick Cream
¾ cupSugar
pinch ofsalt
1 cupBaileys
1 tblspnVanilla Essence
Fresh Grated Nutmeg ( Ground Nutmeg is okay )
Method
• Lightly beat Egg Yolks in a very large non-corrosive preferably stainless steel saucepan
• Add 2 cups of Cream, Sugar and Salt to the beaten yolks and mix well
• Set the saucepan over medium heat and stir the custard frequently until it thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon (about 180 degrees)
• Immediately remove the saucepan from the heat and strain the mixture through a fine strainer into a medium bowl and set over ice. 5. Add the Bailey’s to the custard with the remaining cream
• Stir together
• Refrigerate for several hours or overnight then put into the freezer.

buzzy110, Nov 18, 3:47am
The following are a selection of ideas I picked up from other members postings and saved:

Foodtown magazine ZABAGLIONE-uses 6 egg yolks at a time!!

Into the top of a double boiler put in:
6 yolks
6T caster sugar
1t vanilla essence
1/2c dry marsala or dry sherry.

Whisk for about 10 mins until thick and frothy (when drizzled should fall in ribbons and thickly coat the back of a spoon). Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.

Serve warm or chilled. They show it served like mousse in glasses, but also suggest pouring over cakes or icecream! Sounds delish! posted by bisloy

buzzy110, Nov 18, 3:48am
LEMON HONEY [microwaved].

1 cup sugar
100g butter
grated rind of 1 lemon
juice of 3 lemons, 1 egg + 3 egg yolks.

Put the butter, sugar, rind and juice into a little jug and cook on HIGH/100% power for 1-2 minutes, until the sugar has dissolved. Mix and gradually add to beaten egg and egg yolks, stirring well. Return the mixture to the jug and cook on MEDIUM/50% power, stirring every minute until the mixture thickens, 3-5 minutes. The mixture will thicken more as it cools.
Store in the refrigerator.
posted by 245sam

buzzy110, Nov 18, 3:50am
Make a CARAMEL TOPPING - to go on top of the pav. Then you put cream on top of that.Absolutely divine.The recipe is:

Melt 2T butter
1 cup brown sugar
Add 2 T flour
Cook in microwave for 1-2 min
Add 2 egg yolks
1 cup milk mix till thick
Add vanilla and cool.

posted by angie117

buzzy110, Nov 18, 3:53am
EGG YOLK CUSTARD

4 yolks
½cup castor sugar
2½oz cornflour - mix
Add 3 cups hot milk
vanilla
Whisk together, put back on heat, stir all the time so pot doesn't burn till thickens. Be patient it will thicken.

posted by paynta1

buzzy110, Nov 18, 3:54am
LEMON TOPPING

4 egg yolks
1/2 cup caster sugar
finely grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
300 ml cream - softly whipped

Method
Place egg yolks and sugar in a bowl and whisk over a saucepan of barely simmering water until thick. (careful not to let the bowl touch the water and don't have water too hot otherwise the eggs will scramble)
Remove from the heat and allow to cool
Fold in lemon and cream and spoon over a pavlova
Decorate as desired
I have also drizzled some passionfruit over for extra taste.

posted by grannypam
posted by winnie231

tickandnans, Nov 18, 4:29am
Thanks heaps guys for your help.

lindylambchops1, Dec 27, 6:28am
I just made this today.The sponge was ideal for the Lemon Curd topping, Chantilly cream & fresh raspberries.Thank you for sharing!

tickandnans, Nov 17, 8:57pm
I have made pavs and now have lots of yokes left does anyone have any ideas on what to do with them!

245sam, Nov 17, 9:12pm
tickandnans, try doing a search here on this Trademe MB using egg yolks as the Keywords and Anytime as the Date posted option - you'll find the earlier threads with suggestions/ideas that should help you out but first a couple of suggestions from me.
Use the egg yolks to make a curd-type topping for on the pavlovas - although I haven't actually done this myself I have enjoyed both orange and lemon curd toppings on pavlovas.
Use the egg yolks for crumbing schnitzels, chicken, fish, etc.

Hope that helps.:-))

buzzy110, Nov 18, 3:47am
The following are a selection of ideas I picked up from other members postings and saved:

Foodtown magazine ZABAGLIONE-uses 6 egg yolks at a time!

Into the top of a double boiler put in:
6 yolks
6T caster sugar
1t vanilla essence
1/2c dry marsala or dry sherry.

Whisk for about 10 mins until thick and frothy (when drizzled should fall in ribbons and thickly coat the back of a spoon). Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.

Serve warm or chilled. They show it served like mousse in glasses, but also suggest pouring over cakes or icecream! Sounds delish! posted by bisloy

buzzy110, Nov 18, 3:53am
EGG YOLK CUSTARD

4 yolks
½cup castor sugar
2½oz cornflour - mix
Add 3 cups hot milk
vanilla
Whisk together, put back on heat, stir all the time so pot doesn't burn till thickens. Be patient it will thicken.

posted by paynta1

buzzy110, Nov 18, 3:54am
LEMON TOPPING

4 egg yolks
1/2 cup caster sugar
finely grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
300 ml cream - softly whipped

Method
Place egg yolks and sugar in a bowl and whisk over a saucepan of barely simmering water until thick. (careful not to let the bowl touch the water and don't have water too hot otherwise the eggs will scramble)
Remove from the heat and allow to cool
Fold in lemon and cream and spoon over a pavlova
Decorate as desired
I have also drizzled some passionfruit over for extra taste.

posted by grannypam
posted by winnie231

bev00, Dec 26, 8:23am
Have yolks to use = Perfect!

bev00, Dec 26, 8:26am
What about Crème Brûlée

4 cups Heavy Cream
1 whole Vanilla Bean OR 1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract OR 1 Tablespoon Vanilla Paste
10 whole Egg Yolks
¾ cups Sugar
6 Tablespoons Caster Sugar

Preheat oven to 170 degrees.
Pour the cream into the saucepan. Add vanilla (whichever product you’re using) and simmer over medium-low heat.
Whip egg yolks with the sugar until pale yellow and thick.
Strain cream using a fine mesh strainer.
Whip yolks while you very slowly drizzle in 1 cup of warm cream. Go slowly so as not to cook the eggs! Once the first cup is added, you can add the rest of the cream slowly.
Place ramekins onto a rimmed baking sheet. Pour custard mixture into ramekins. Pour water in bottom of baking sheet until it comes halfway up the ramekins. Bake for 30 minutes, or until just set. Do not allow to get brown.
Cool ramekins on countertop, then chill for at least 2-3 hours, covered in plastic wrap.
To serve, sprinkle 1 tablespoon over each ramekin of custard. Use a kitchen torch to quickly (but carefully) brown the sugar. There should be a thin, crisp surface of burned sugar on the top.
Serve immediately!

Courtesy of Spandow .

bev00, Dec 26, 12:26pm
for all those yolks ;)

maximus44, Dec 26, 6:33pm
I have frozen them.

rosathemad, Nov 17, 9:23pm
Custard or anything that uses custard works well - ice-cream, creme brulee - I made a pav last weekend and used the yolks to make crema catalana, which is a Spanish creme brulee. Recipe is here: http://www.mrscake.co.nz/2010/11/crema-catalana.html

You could just have it as very rich custard without the burnt top if you wanted, too (though I love the crunchy sugar)