Cream cheese icing question

shandyv8, Nov 15, 3:26am
my cream cheese icing is runny, what have i done wrong?
over/under beating?
not enough/too much icing sugar?

and does anyone have a recipe that might use up runny cream cheese icing?
thanks

petal1955, Nov 15, 3:40am
Did you use the "lite" variety....if so doesnt work for cream cheese icing.....got to use the "normal" one.

Cream cheese is nice with chopped dates,chopped dried apricots and chopped glace ginger as a spread on crackers or toasted sour dough bread

seniorbones, Nov 15, 3:52am
add more icing sugar?

bisloy, Nov 15, 7:48am
No, I think the icing sugar will make it more runny. Try adding a little more butter/popping it in the fridge for an hour.

catsmeat1, Nov 15, 8:12am
Mine used to be runny as I did not put in enough icing sugar - use a normal cream cheese, not lite, preferably something solid like philadelphia and use the full amount of icing sugar.

rosathemad, Nov 15, 10:20am
As bisloy says butter is usually the key - just cream cheese and icing sugar will usually result in pretty soft icing, even more so with low fat cream cheese. Add room temperature butter (helps if you can beat the butter a little first to avoid lumps). :-)

marcs, Nov 15, 1:11pm
I find that cream cheese and icing sugar can be very runny so I use castor sugar and beat it well. The sugar does dissolve and it tastes a lot better too. If my cream cheese is too runny and then put them in the fridge for 10 minutes or so and it firms up. Recipe is 250 g cream cheese, 1/2 c castor sugar. Beat for 5 mins together, add 50g soft butter (if the butter is hard, you will have lumpy icing). Add lemon juice and rind or vanilla.

lindi4, May 17, 12:59am
Just made cream cheese icing for banana cake and it does go soft at room temp so are putting it in the fridge actually I kept the whole iced cake in the fridge last time and it was fine

shandyv8, Nov 16, 3:26am
my cream cheese icing is runny, what have i done wrong!
over/under beating!
not enough/too much icing sugar!

and does anyone have a recipe that might use up runny cream cheese icing!
thanks

petal1955, Nov 16, 3:40am
Did you use the "lite" variety.if so doesnt work for cream cheese icing.got to use the "normal" one.

Cream cheese is nice with chopped dates,chopped dried apricots and chopped glace ginger as a spread on crackers or toasted sour dough bread

seniorbones, Nov 16, 3:52am
add more icing sugar!