Sick of same dinners, feed 8, ideas?

curlyjack, Nov 14, 11:06pm
We are a family of 5 kids and 3 adults, I am sick of cooking same foods, snitzal, mince, sausages, salads etc anyone got some ideas for me? that are quick?

tarankyle, Nov 14, 11:50pm
self crusting quiche is simple & easy & great for using up any leftover meat from the night before;

Ingredients
• 3 eggs
• 1 medium onion, chopped
• 1 cup grated cheese
• 1 tablespoon oil
• ½ cup self raising flour
• 1½ cups milk
• salt and freshly ground black pepper
• filling as desired – bacon, mushrooms, salmon, tomatoes, peppers etc

Preheat oven to 150 C. Place all ingredients in a plastic container with a fitted
lid and shake for 1 minute. Add chopped filling ingredients and then pour
into a greased quiche dish. Bake for 30-40 minutes

brettnat, Nov 14, 11:50pm
What about pies, bacon and egg pie, frittata's crustless quiche, crockpot meals like curry's (with cheaper cuts of meat) casserols all I can think of at the mo..good luck

valentino, Nov 15, 1:51am
The best thing one can suggest is use the Search Box utility on the upper left and type in Chicken or Beef or Fish or stir fry or whatever one may like to try and then select anytime in the bottom part.

One will see a huge variety of threads on various recipes given or neat thoughts on doing it differently.

One can then copy and paste into a word like document then print each page of when page is completed, sit down and go through them a few hours later and note the ones that will appeal to you and your family.

Also at this link www.e-ware.co.nz/recipes.htm (courtesy of fisher)and towards the bottom is a couple of downloads to recipes given by this messageboard to an expired site known as "trademecooks".

This way, you can then select recipes that you think are simple, easy that suits yu.

Cheers and hopes this helps.

kuaka, Nov 15, 2:05am
stir fried veg with beef or chicken and noodles, quick and easy but best done in a big wok for your size family.Don't worry, there's only two of us and I still get stuck with ideas for a change, especially when the other half is a strict meat, potatoes and 3 veg man.

jc_cw, Nov 15, 2:22am
my mum just used to make jumbo sized lasagnes and bacon and egg pies, and a family favourite that all us kids loved but didn't realise it was a "poor" meal was quartered cooked potatoes with baked beans and cheese ontop. could be fancied up with bacon, sausages and onion too.

kob, Nov 15, 2:23am
yep sure a quick idea is to boil a chicken what ever size you have, once cooked shred the chicken and leave to cool.
Cook a huge pot of white rice and leave to cool, chop up as many veg as you can and in a huge fry pan cook off (for 8 people) about 4-5 chopped onion, a good dollop of garlic add the veg lightly fry add 2-3 chicken stock cube to the veg mix plus 1 big cup of water leave to simmer until the water has almost gone, then add the chiken stir through untill heated and the rice once all hot then pour over some soya sauce and give a good stir, taste for seasoning and add S&p if needed and serve, you can if you want make a huge egg oneletee and add to the veg mix before the chicken goes in but thats up to you, this can be made with pork, snitchel,fish i have enven made it with cut up sausages

sossie1, Nov 15, 2:25am
OMG!this is one of my faves- because you can do basically anything-i get the Asian Home Gourmet spice mixtures and always have some cans of coconut milk in the pantry-get a pot of red or green curry spice paste and you can make it as mild or hot as you want.

duckmoon, Nov 15, 4:47am
we have chicken on night - and then chicken pie the next...

kob, Nov 15, 5:42pm
or what about a huge pizza to make a oven tray size you would probably have to double it. so you will need this 4 cups of normal flour, 4 teaspoons of baking powder, s&p in a seperate bowl big enough for 2 cups add 1 cup of milk and one cup of oil( any oil) mic and add to the flour mixture stir together and turn out onto a floured bench kneed and roll out to fit the oven tray.....sauce for base 1/2 cup of tomato sauce, 3 tablespoons of brown sugar, good heaped teaspoon of ginger, a dash of worchester sauceand a good dollop of soya sauce mix together and add to base, then add 2 chopped onions, some ham or bacon (can leave out if you want a meatless meal) 1 drained tin of crushed pineapple(budget) then add 2 finely chopped tomatos and cheese grated and lightly sprinkled over the top, sprinhkle over S&P and some oregano, poke your knife in the base a dozen or more times and put into the oven at 180 c for 50 mins maybe abit less its starts to go really brown when ready, so maybe 40-45 mins yummo as it is or with a green salad, you could do it with salami or chicken and use a cranberry sauce instead of the home made bbq one.

erewhon04, Nov 16, 12:52am
Yup to home-made pizza.We have a table-top hot-plate (A Raclette, sold on TM) which melts little dishes of grated or sliced cheese while you are cooking onions, mushrooms, sausage bits, bacon, capsicum, etc etc on top. My family's favourite meal.Serve over boiled potatoes with tom sauce, sour cream.
Could also do outside with a barbeque.Huge pot of boiled potatoes, bowls of grated cheese, chopped onion, meat as wanted, tomato, you get the picture. Fun for all.

motorbo, Nov 16, 1:05am
a boil up can be good, it can be with or without meat, meat can be cheap or not, and all ya vege are included!

kob, Nov 16, 5:31pm
you could also try this dish for your crowd I would say 1 kg mince, lightly fry 3 onions roughly chopped, add some garlic and continue simmering, add mince and cook till brown then add 2 packets of maggi chicken noodle soup mix and 3 cups of water bring back to the boil and turn down to a fast simmer then add 1 roughly chopped cabbage put the lid on and simmer for 20 mins until cooked, taste for seasoning before serving and add S&P , serve with hot scones or a loaf of fresh bread, delish some call it ka Se Ming but I call it my aunty's mince

amazing_grace, Nov 16, 11:37pm
Pea and Ham Soup - serves about 10 pax

Take on ham hock ($4.99 from New World), put into a big stock pot along with 2 carrots chopped, 2 onions chopped and a 500g bag of green split peas.Let the whole lot brown a bit (use a good stock pot that wont burn on the bottom).Add 2litres water or chicken stock and simmer on the stove over an hour untill the peas have turned to slushy mush.When cool whizz in blender or with whizz stick (after removing ham bone - keep the meat and fat and skin the soup tho). Put in fridge, it will set hardish...like butter.Next day heat up, season with salt and pepper and stir in 125g butter.Serve

motorbo, Aug 11, 6:16pm
i would also ensure i had a helper, maybe you could roster who cooks, and make it two people a night if possible, that way you can have a bit more effort into the dish but not more money, e.g. rissoles with different flavourings, home made wedges, homemade pasta for lasagna is easy to make just takes a bit of time, 1 egg to one cup of water, mix and knead until smooth, cover and refriderate for a while then with flour roll it out with a rolling pin, you so wont buy the sheets again - homemade is delish!!!