Icing for 1st Birthday Cake:-)) Will buttercream

scannell2, Nov 14, 8:23am
icing work on a chocolate cake? Ok so its my babies 1st birthday on tuesday and a friend lent me a tin with the shape of a cake and one candle on it as I am not very artistic

We like buttercream icing and have tasted it on yummy cup cakes before, would this be ok for a chocolate cake and does anyone have a recipe? failing this i could make the frosting i normally do for this cake but not sure how i would decorate the shape of the cake on top.Any ideas or hints would be REALLY appreciated, as you can prob tell I am an amateur, thanks in advance

margyr, Nov 14, 8:38am
butter cream would be great, you can if you like add some coco and make it choc. it is easily coloured any colour.

theanimal1, Nov 14, 8:49am
Buttercream Icing

• 1cup butter or margarine softened
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 4 cups sifted icing sugar
• 2 tablespoons milk
Makes: About 3 cups of icing.
In large bowl, cream butter with electric mixer. Add vanilla. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry. Add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Keep bowl covered with a damp cloth until ready to use.
For best results, keep icing bowl in refrigerator when not in use. Refrigerated in an airtight container, this icing can be stored 2 weeks. Rebeating before using.
The beating is the secret, to make sure it is light and fluffy.

245sam, Nov 14, 8:52am
scannell2, have a look on the following link where you'll find a recipe for Chocolate Cupcakes with a Chocolate Frosting recipe that may be of use to you:-

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/1985388

Hope that helps.:-))

tortenz, Aug 4, 9:13am
I just use the 'butter icing' recipe from the edmonds cookbook, if you have that?

And I agree is theanimal1, beating it properly is the key :)

Don't be afraid to colour it whatever colour you want.The liquid colours from the supermarket would be fine for this (not as bright as gel colours, but this is your first cake and only for a 1 year old!)

Good luck with your cake... the shaped tins with buttercream are the easiest way to start off making cakes!