Evorotorua - you are a genius- The best cake ever!

Page 2 / 6
evorotorua, Nov 19, 6:50am
So glad it was well received cheapmike. That's a great cause. As you can see, my daughter makes it too! I have used timmed peaches in this recipe instead of bananas. Seniorbones, that yogurt sounds wonderful. Also tielfan, I would love to see the photos. We always used this recipe for birthday cakes when my kids were little. It just keeps so well you can get it all prepared well in advance. Breena, forget the hips. It's worth it.

chic-a-dee, Nov 19, 8:38pm
Ohhhh, hubby going to do groceries now so putting the ingred. on the list! Will report back later on!! Thanks for the idesa for variations.

annie.nz, Nov 20, 12:58am
Evorotorua - great cake.I made one yesterday - half a mix in an 8" round tin, and it's excellent, am going to make two to put together for a dinosaur birthday cake this comiing week.
It's moist and slightly dense so should hold well for a couple of days, and hold the load of icing I'm going to put on it.The 2-year-old birthday boy had an enormous slice this morning, vanished in about 30 seconds - and he's not fussed about cake at all usually.
Best of all, it all mixes in one pot.
Thanks heaps!

bubbaluggs, Nov 20, 6:47am
Yum, I am going to try this tonight.Only have 1 pottle of yoghurt and 1 banana but still should be ok?Will let you know the outcome - thanks

jaybee6, Nov 20, 8:16am
At what temperature please. I will try this one but the temp is very important. Yum.

bubbaluggs, Nov 20, 9:19am
very clever!!!

evorotorua, Nov 20, 5:28pm
wow, what a great job tielfan. I take my hat off to you. What kind of icing is that? Very well coloured. I think everyone was sweating yesterday. Very muggy in Rotorua from early in the morning!

evorotorua, Nov 20, 5:29pm
jaybee6. I bake mine at about 180C but every oven is different so just keep an eye on it. Centre rack in the oven in a roasting pan. I line the pan with a teflon liner or baking paper to help turn it out.

tielfan, Nov 20, 6:20pm
Evorotorua - the big back tunnel thing was just chocolate buttercream but the sweaty stuff is homemade fondant coloured with gel paste. It was a pain to make the fondant as it was sticking all over my hands anyway.There's only a half inch of the back remaining this morning as all parents were instructed to bring a large container so I could offload it and get my fridge back.Don't want to cut the trains up - they took too much work.

babytears, Nov 20, 6:25pm
OHHHHHHHH YUM... I'm headin into the kitchen to make this ver shortly.... sounds good!

babytears, Nov 20, 7:03pm
It's in the oven... except I put it into 2 cake tins... I'm guessing about 40-50 mins in the oven maybe? Oh and smells so good... all I had was 'thick & creamy blueberry yoghurt'

evorotorua, Nov 21, 6:21am
babytears, sounds like that combination will be lovely.

breena, Nov 21, 7:24am
I didnt end up making it as my hubby said the ingredient combination didnt sound 'too good' - I told him everyone on the MB thats made it raves about it, but, No, he didnt want me to bake it over the weekend.

Well tomorrows not the weekend so while hes at work, IM GONNA BAKE IT!!!

Will let you know tomorrow night how his hat tastes with the cake hehe

babytears, Nov 22, 9:31am
Well.... how'd you get on?

breena, Nov 23, 9:02am
It went great - I couldnt see this thread so I started another one and madison15 put the link up to this - (thank you madison!)

I made the cake yesterday and it turned out fabulous --- ALL GONE!!Next time I'm going to add a packet of chocolate chips to it - my kids like those in cakes!

We ate it straight out of the oven with cream and ice cream, then with a cuppa later and hubby had the rest for breakfast .... yea I know, so unhealthy - typical Maori boy my hubby - whatevers closest will do lol!
Was going to freeze it, but it didnt quite make it - will have to bake another one tomorrow for school lunches

Thanks for putting the recipe up to share with everyone - especially me

marshmaiden, Nov 23, 10:56am
15 yr old made this at the weekend.....AWESOME cake and will definitely be repeated.... thanks heaps.we used that thick greek yoghurt ..YUM!!!

cheapmike, Nov 23, 11:04am
I'm still getting complements at work about this cake that I sold to them last week for red nose day. It wasn't my skill, was the awesome recipe from Evo. SO YUM! People are still asking about it.

gardie, Nov 26, 6:45am
Got some good reviews on the cake I took to work too however it didn't quite measure up to the best ever chocolate cake from here that's cooked in a roasting pan - although I do a 23cm round and a 23cm bundt (ring) pan.People didn't realise it had banana in it until I told them - and I put in 4 small bobby ones!

elliehen, Nov 26, 6:56am
gardie, that best-ever chocolate cake you refer to is always better the following day.Just after it's cooked it smells and tastes too "eggy", don't you think?

annie.nz, Nov 29, 5:18am
I had to make the banana chocolate cake birthday cake 2 days early since I was going away.Just to let you know that it was great as a 2-day-old cake.And dead easy to make, no mixing.

workersmum, Nov 29, 5:24am
The bloody good chocolate cake is the same with a little tweaking.

Bloody good choc cake

Mix in order –
2c sugar
2 eggs
1cup yoghurt ( any flavour)
3/4cup cocoa
200g melted butter
2t baking soda
1 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1/4 tsp salt
3 cups self raising flour ( or 3cups flour and 3 tsp BP)
1cup black coffee.

Mix all togethermakes 2 round cakes or a roasting tray full , bake at 180*c till knife comes out clean when tested ( about 30 mins).

Originally posted by bams1

AND... Lemon yoghurt cake....

Lemon Yoghurt Cake

Grate Peel of 2 big Lemons. Beat this with:
1 cup of oil,
2 eggs &
1 3/4 cups sugar.
Add 1/2 teaspoon salt,
1 cup yoghurt,
3 tablespoons Lemon Juice,
2 cups of Flour & 2 teaspoons Baking Powder.

Bake 180 C for 40 - 60 mins or until cooked. Needs large, oiled tin. No icing required. Dust with Icing Sugar if required for special occassions

Originally posted by nzbadger

Awesome cakes by tm cooks.

mazzy1, Nov 29, 6:03am
My pleasure! Credit where credit's due, I say. This was something special, in my opinion. If everything goes to plan in my garden I should have a ton of strawberries this season, so I feel brave enough to experiment now, using your recipe as a base. Cheers, Mazzy

gardie, Nov 29, 7:08am
I've only ever eaten this the next day but I do understand what you mean.The texture gets better with age too.I defrosted the 2nd banana chocolate cake on the weekend for a scouts sleep over.When I turned up the next day all the kids said what a lovely cake it was.I have only ever tasted a crumb - literally - so I really must make it again.I iced it with chocolate icing and then quartered strawberries and popped them on the top and sprinkled with edible gold stars.It looked devine.

gardie, Mar 6, 12:20am
bumping to bake again - writing recipe in my book this time so I don't have to rely on finding it each time.

gardie, Mar 7, 12:20am
bumping to bake again - writing recipe in my book this time so I don't have to rely on finding it each time.