Jo Seagar's rhubarb slice recipe

griffo4, Nov 11, 7:39pm
l made this years ago and when l went to find the recipe l couldn't find it
lt had a base and then you put the rhubarb topping on top and it had spices in it as well sorry for being vague but it was a while since l made it
l can still remember the picture it was in a NZ Women's Weekly when she did a cooking section in there
Thanks

fugazi71, Nov 11, 10:40pm
Have you tried looking on her website? www.joseagar.co.nz

rubyjane11, Nov 11, 10:47pm
I have quite a few of her recipe books so will have a look for you...

rubyjane11, Nov 11, 10:55pm
no luck

indy95, Nov 11, 11:40pm
x1
Griffo4, I think this what you are looking for.

Rhubarb Spicetrail Shortcake

Base:

125 g butter
1/2 c castor sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 c SR flour

Topping:

1/4 c flour
2 c castor sugar ( sounds like a lot of sugar )
1 t mixed spice
2 eggs
4 sticks rhubarb, finely chopped

For the base, cream butter and sugar well, beat in egg and flour. Press into a baking paper lined pan approx 20 x 33 cm. Cover with topping and bake at 180C for 50-60 mins until firm and set.

Topping:

Combine flour, sugar, spice and eggs, then stir in rhubarb.

Dust shortcake with icing sugar to serve. Any fruit can be used instead of rhubarb.

smileeah, Nov 11, 11:40pm
I'm pretty sure I've got it somewhere, will have a look as soon as I can. Think it's called Rhubarb Spice Trail Cake, or something like that.

smileeah, Nov 11, 11:45pm
Oh there you go...that's the one I've got. It can be made in a processor too.

bella95, Nov 12, 12:04am
I made this last week but mine was dry and not very nice. I think it needed WAY more rhubarb - 4 stalks is a very vague description.Flavours are nice otherwise. Hope yours turns out great.

rubyjane11, Nov 12, 12:08am
yes just found another recipe book of hers and that was in it...

marcs, Nov 12, 12:34pm
indy95 wrote:
Griffo4, I think this what you are looking for.

Rhubarb Spicetrail Shortcake

2 c castor sugar ( sounds like a lot of sugar )

I find Jo's recipes have a lot of sugar however rhubarb can be very sour. I will give it a go.

indy95, Nov 12, 7:37pm
I made this last night using extra rhubarb and a few strawberries in the topping and only 1 cup of sugar. That quantity of sugar was more than enough for my taste.

griffo4, Nov 12, 10:28pm
Thanks Indy95 that is it l remember it was really nice and l put alot of rhubarb in it
l had looked at Jo Seagars web site and did a search here before asking l even googled and couldn't find it there either
Thanks everyone

guest, Jul 30, 7:05pm
I think she was promoting / contracted to Chelsea Sugar when all those recipes with a huge amount of sugar were all the go