Soggy B & E pie....

larms1, Nov 10, 8:39am
Can someone tell me what u do to stop the bottom pastry going soggy when u use frozen veges and tomato in yr pie. TIA

larms1, Nov 10, 8:44am
bumping.....

petal1955, Nov 10, 8:56am
Add grated cheese to the bottom of the pastry before adding the rest of the ingredients.

ardente, Nov 10, 9:03am
I'm sure I've read on here in the past that a layer of cheese on top of the bottom pastry layer helps.Also you could try pre-baking your crust for a bit before adding your filling.Bacon carries a lot of water before cooking so you could also fry it a bit before adding to the pie.

pam.delilah, Nov 10, 9:38am
also defrost the vegs and place the tomato slices on topof the pie

pansy4, Nov 10, 9:45am
I always thought B & E pie was just bacon and egg. I put onion and layers of cheese in mine. I wouldnt put veg in it. my kids would think they were eating veggies and leave it alone.lol

elliehen, Nov 10, 9:51am
Don't just put the pie on an oven rack.Heat an oven tray to put the pie pan on and it will kick start the cooking of the bottom layer of pastry.

asue, Nov 11, 12:22am
Its the bacon you use that makes it soggy.Either use a good one or else go for ham.Alot of bacon now days has a high liquid content and this is what is causing this problem. Or you can cook bacon before hand to take liquid out.

jellabie, Nov 11, 2:27am
mine never goes soggy unless I use flaky pastry as a base.I use bread these days, decrusted, rolled thinly,then layered onto a greased dish.. it goes nice and crisp and reduces the calorie count.Short pastry also goes crisp for me.. it's only flaky that lets me down.

marcs, Nov 12, 12:21am
I precook my bacon till the liquid has dried up. I found this is what makes my pies soggy. If you are using a little frozen veggies, it should not make a difference how may be defrost it might help as well.

poce, Nov 12, 12:50am
I dont use tomatoes in pastry B & E pie..makes them go soggy.
B & E onions and somes times sone peas. .

nomidoo, Nov 12, 1:24am
But tomatoes are so YUMMY in them!I'm looking forward to trying the grated cheese trick, (cos that sounds easiest!) and if that doesn't work I'll try cooking the bacon first.I was just wondering this the other day, so delighted to see these tips...:-)

daleaway, Nov 12, 2:06am
jellabie, I like your idea of a bread crust - do you use sandwich white or what type of bread?

larms1, Jul 30, 4:14am
Thanks everyone. Will try the cheese. And will definately try the bread base. Thanks people.