Bicarbonate soda to terderise meat???

lindz99, Nov 8, 3:30am
Has anybody heard of this and how do you use the bicarbonate soda??

esther-anne, Nov 8, 3:46am
Can't help sorry but kiwi fruit is wonderful to tenderise steak.

I just get a ripe one, slice it, place the meat on a bed of kiwi and then cover the top and leave for a couple of hours!

accroul, Nov 8, 4:05am
Are you planning to eat this as a steak or slice for something else? I wouldn't use baking soda if you were going to eat it as a steak (personally) however, if I was going to use the meat in a stirfry for example, I'd sprinkle 1 tsp BS over my already sliced meat, then 'just' cover with water, stir and leave for an hour. When I'm ready to use the meat, I drain and then rinse before cooking in a very hot pan.

jag5, Nov 8, 4:53am
My favourite steak is a done chinese style, and the marinade has Baking soda in it.It is a brilliant tenderiser.I wouldn't be inclined to use it on its own, but added to a marinade...brilliant.

But agree with above, kiwi fruit is excellent too.

marcs, Nov 8, 5:42am
You can use baking soda or I use tamarind paste. You don't need much. About a 1/4 of tsp. I find tamarind paste gives you tender juicy meat but If I don't have any then I just use baking soda and then i wash it off if I am doing stir frys. This is how most chinese places tenderise their meat.

hooksie60, Nov 8, 7:19am
Hey marcs where do you buy tamarind and is it expensive? I have used B/S and have good results.

beaker59, Nov 8, 7:23am
Most asian supermarkets and shops have the compressed blocks whuch are quite cheap. $4 ish

hooksie60, Nov 8, 7:32am
thanks beaker59.... do you think it is baking soda that they sell called a different name?

veejay13, Nov 8, 7:38am
Yes, I have been using it for years.2 tablespoons soy sauce, quarter of a teaspoon baking soda, clove of garlic, crushed (the bigger and juicier the better).
Mix together, brush all over steak.....any sort of steak....and leave for at least 2 hours - overnight is really good.
Don't try and rinse it off - just cook as is andit's really delicious.

mackenzie2, Nov 8, 8:00am
Yip, I do it, rub it on your cheaper cuts of steak, leave it on for no more than 1 hr, then wash it off, Dry with handy towels then fry as normal, it is like the most tender steak you can buy....

rosewildvinyl, Nov 8, 8:02am
Kiwifruit works well, something to do with enzymes, don't ask me what.

marcs, Nov 8, 9:16am
Tamarind is a sour fruit and has nothing to do with baking soda. You can find them in good asian or indian shops. If you buy it in a block then break a little bit off and soak in water to soften it. squish between fingers once the pulp is soft and discard the fiberous pulp you get from it. You should be left with either brown or black looking water.

ferita, Nov 8, 9:35am
Please realise that adding baking soda to food destroys the B vitamins in it. Meat is a source of B vitamins and you could be destroying these by adding baking soda

malcovy, Nov 14, 1:44am
I have used baking soda on meat before but even after rinsing the taste of baking soda was still there, it certainly tenderises the meat though.
This week countdown has rump steak for approx $10 kg and normally I won't buy rump from there but I remembered your recipe so I have made the above marinade and have brushed it on, it's good, no taste of baking soda whatsoever and will comment later about the actual taste of the steak.I really like the editing function on here.

malcovy, Nov 14, 8:53am
This marinade is a keeper for me, thanks Veejay13 for posting it.

novastuff, Aug 4, 11:04am
Hey there. I use a small amount...about 1/2 tsp of cornflour, dash of soy sauce and a little water, put all together in a sealed plastic bag with the steak, Leave in fridge for about an hour then cook. So so tender. Enjoy.