Mini xmas cakes or puddings

motorbo, Nov 7, 10:16pm
my sister wants to make these as gifts, anyone done this before? if so did you just use a normal recipe and work out the time to cook? any help would be fabulous thanks

nzhel, Nov 7, 11:53pm
Yes I'm interested too as I'm thinking about making mini Xmas cakes this year. Would love any suggestions for moist tried and true Xmas cake recipes.

debris1, Nov 8, 12:09am
A friend of mine made them used a normal xmas cake recipie then divided it into tins of which she used cans that smoked fish etc had come in washed in dishwasher and lined worked beautifully too.She found the larger can of fish was a great size.

cookessentials, Nov 8, 12:11am
Yes, I have and I have the method on the Great Christmas Thread.

motorbo, Nov 8, 12:11am
thanks for that, can you ask her how long she cooked them for??

pamellie, Nov 8, 2:03am
I made a normal size (about 23cm) and then just cut into 4 and then wrapped in cellophane and ribbon. They looked fantastic and were well recieved.

calista, Nov 8, 7:34am
I just bumped a thread for you.

motorbo, Nov 8, 7:35am
hi cooke is that not in recipes as i couldnt find it in my search, thanks :)

kiwitrish, Nov 9, 12:58am
Cake decorator here.I make these cakes as gifts and also the local cake decorating shop bought them from me to sell. I make them in golden syrup tins and fill to just beneath half was as the cake rise.You could use any size tin.
You are more than welcome to my recipe.

MAKES 8-10 SMALL CAKES

1 KG MIXED FRUIT
2 CUPS SUGAR
2 CUPS WATER
2 TSP BAKING SODA
2 TSP MIXED SPICE
2 TBS GOLDEN SYRUP
250 GRAMS BUTTER

BOIL THE LISTED INGREDIENTS TOGETHER, LET COOL.ADD 4
EGGS, 4 CUPS PLAIN OR HIGH GRADE FLOUR, 2 TSP BAKING
POWDER, 2 TSP GINGER, AND A PINCH OF CURRY POWDER, ( YES
CURRY POWDER, IT BRINGS OUT THE SPICES IN THE CAKE).MIX
WELL. PLACE INTO 8-10 SMALL GREASED TINS OR LARGER
ONES. BAKE 1 HOUR AT 150C OR UNTIL COOKED WHEN TESTED.
If wished, cover with almond paste then fondant and decorate as you wish.Can post a pic of a finished one if you would like.

motorbo, Nov 9, 2:05am
thank you so so much Trish, i will email her with this recipe, she is a new manager with 11 staff in ( in australia), cleaners and receptionist, she doesnt have a company budget for pressies, so she thought making would be affordable and come from the heart!!! you have made my day and restored my faith in TM, there are some lovely people here, esp, in this thread, thank you all ...sorry cookes i couldnt find the recipe link and thanks for the thread bump calista, i must be blind as a bat cos i couldnt find what i was after lol thank you xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxall xxx

rosathemad, Nov 9, 2:06am
I made mini puddings last year which were a hit. They took about an hour to an hour and a half to cook (steam) so although I had to do a few batches (big family!) it wasn't too long each time. Just used a normal recipe and adjusted time, then zapped in the microwave to serve on Christmas day.

motorbo, Nov 9, 2:08am
x1
and love the pic, fabulous decorating ....makes me wanna bite :)

kiwitrish, Nov 9, 2:39am
Your welcome motorbo.They are inexpensive to make.I also do some with glac'e fruitglazed with brandy topping which look really good and saves on the icing part.

BRANDY GLAZE (8-10 cakes)

Heat together gently 5-6 Tablespoons of Apricot jam and 10 Tablespoons of brandy, whisking until they are thoroughly blended.

Brush top of the cakes with the glaze mixture and then place on nuts or fruits ie dates, prunes cherries. It's up to you.Be creative.Then brush generous with lots more glaze.It gives a wonderful shine and tastes yummy.Add a ribbon around the cake and wrap in clear cellophane with a nice bow.

Hope she has a good Christmas

calista, Nov 9, 3:52am
Motorbro Alison Holst's Christmas book also has an option of making her 23 cm sqare cake as a dozen (I think it was) 10cm round cakes make in fish tine or 2 18 cm diameter tins - which is theoption I use.

One year there was an article in the Otago Daily Times (which ?someone here referred to). I read it and it was about a bunch of students making 10cm square cakes using her recipe and making the baking 'tins' by stapling20cm squares of cardboard into 10 cm square open boxes that were 5cm deep (hope that makes sense).

Last year Sunmaid (the raisin people) published a booklet that contained a recipe (including times and temperatures for making Christmas cakes in those small cardboard containers you can get from some kitchen shops.I lost mine recently.

fifie, Nov 9, 3:59am
I make your recipe also kiwitrish, in texas muffin tins and use the nuts fruit, and brandy glaze to decorate everyone loves them, it produces lovely flavoured moist cakes thanks for sharing your recipe ..

motorbo, Nov 9, 4:07am
thanks!! gonna email her the 2nd part now, she is a great baker so i know they will be good with this recipe! thanks fifie always godo to know someone else thats made it too

ifonly, Jul 24, 7:48am
These sound yummy and look good to.I think I might have a go this year to.