How do you stop microwaved rice boiling over???

romney, Feb 27, 4:50am
x1
Well... . . I do as the recipe says but it alway boils over when done in the microwave. I have tried to stop half way thru and mix, less minutes, lower power. I do have the lid on, does that make a difference? Someone thought to add a wee bit of vinegar? ? Any other great tips... . . Cheers

raewyn64, Feb 27, 4:53am
I just use a very large tall bowl and that stops it going over.

doug57, Feb 27, 6:23am
Don't put a lid on. I put rice in a large unlidded casserole dish and cover it with about twice as much water [eg 1/2" rice, 1" water] And cook on hi for 10 mins. . fluff it up and 5 mins more [Your time will depend I guess on how much rice you're cooking] Then I fluff it up and leave it.
If the lid is on it will always boil over1

doug57, Feb 27, 6:25am
. . just googled. . and I guess you could try this. .
http://www.ehow.com/how_2268135_rice-microwave-perfect-every
-time.html

charlieb2, Feb 27, 6:40am
Honestly... buy a rice cooker! ! lol...

I never managed to cook it in micro without it boiling over... LOVE having a rice cooker

razell, Feb 27, 10:37pm
! cup of rice 2 cups of water on high for 10-12 minutes uncovered. Let it sit away then stir through with a fork. I use a casserole dish and it never boils over

4boofs, Feb 27, 11:08pm
I always microwave rice at 70% power, no lid and I don't now have any problems. 2c rice, 4c boiling water in large casserole dish for 12min.

snuzal, Feb 28, 3:33am
I just put my rice in a bowl, cover with clingfilm, and press the "rice" button on teh microwave. :D

fisher, Feb 28, 4:04am
Charlieb2. . went down the way to Whangarei one weekend to go fishing with my bro and saw some rice cookers on sale... bought one and Kathy was sooooo happy I thought she had won the lottery... hahhaahaha... cheap as chips and plenty of brownie points... .

charlieb2, Feb 28, 5:51am
Yaye for brownie points fisherman! ! !

I've tried everything cooking rice... and truly the rice cooker is best for me! ! !

The other week we had a function at school that was right on dinner time. So I did crockpot chicken and just before we left put the rice cooker on. It cooked the rice then switched to 'keep warm' function... . dinner all ready for when we got home! ! Yaye

maybell11, Feb 28, 11:42pm
Hi Tupperware sell a good microwave rice cooker

wingee, Mar 1, 1:37am
I have a whirlpool microwave, and cook mine on steam. Just follow instructions rice to water ratio, put lid on, press steam then set time for 14 mins, perfect each time.

justjoy, Mar 6, 4:13am
Hi wingee,
I got a Whirlpool today and now have fun trying to use it and find recipes as you don't get a lot with the book they give you aye.
I am doing potatoes and vegies tonight so hope they turn out ok.
Got any ides or hints I can use please for basic cooking. Thanks

wingee, Oct 5, 5:42pm
Hi How did your potatoes and veg go? I always use my orange dish, has 3 stackers, ie, large bowl, the steamer and lid. Put a little water in the bottom, place the steamer on then put the veg in and lid on put in microwave and press steam then how long you want to cook then start or just press steam then start on the 6th sense, sometimes I find the veg needs longer cooking. Just trial and error, I found the whirlpool took awhile to get used to the way it cooks. Enjoy it, mine gets used every day