Wanting gluten free christmas cake

shelley39, Nov 5, 11:01pm
I usually make the ginger ale fruit cake in the edmonds book but now have to go gluten free. What flour do I use that is Gluten free. Thanks,

melford, Nov 6, 4:43am
This is the one I use and it is beatiful, cuts nicely as well. Gluten Free Christmas Cake

850g dried mixed fruit
1 cup brandy
150g butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
3 eggs, at room temperature
1 cup gluten-free plain flour
1/4 cup gluten-free self-raising flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
3/4 cup blanched almonds
1/4 cup apricot jam
Method
1. Place dried fruit and 2/3 cup brandy in a large airtight container. Mix well. Cover and stand overnight or preferably for 1 week, stirring occasionally.
2. Preheat oven to 150°C. Lightly grease a 7cm deep, 20cm (base) round cake pan. Line base and side with double layers brown paper and baking paper (see note). Using electric beaters, cream butter and sugar in a large bowl until pale and creamy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
3. Sift flours and spices over butter mixture. Add fruit mixture and stir until well combined. Press mixture into pan. Smooth surface. Decorate top with almonds.
4. Bake cake for 2 to 2 1/4 hours or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Pour remaining 1/3 cup brandy over hot cake. Allow to cool completely in pan.
5. Place jam in a heatproof, microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH (100%) for 30 seconds or until warm. Remove cake from pan and brush top with warm jam. Allow to set. Serve.

uli, Nov 6, 5:10am
Gluten free flour is either a mix of milled grains with no gluten (like rice etc) or coconut flour. You will get that in a health food shop.

earthangel4, Nov 6, 9:49pm
bumping this up,
Shelly,I make Melfords recipe ,its nice and moist,and does not effect me.

calista, Oct 18, 4:53pm
Yay Thanks Medford and Uli.

I stupidly volunteered to make a gluten-free Christmas Cake for someone without having any idea of what I was doing, and the Recipes thread came through for me again.Thank goodness for the 'search' function.