Really special egg and bacon pie

stormbaby, Nov 4, 7:56am
I had forgotten I had this recipe till tonight so made it. Many years ago Colleen McCullough who wrote "The Thorn Birds" wrote a cook book with a friend Jean Easthope. Its full of old fashioned Australian recipes, like damper etc, and this egg and bacon pie, more like a souffle.

You need a sheet of pastry, enough to flop over an open topped casserole or medium dish. Spray your dish first. Rollout the pastry square and have it come up and over the sides, with enough hanging over so when it shrinks with cooking, it won't shoot back inside the dish.
6 rashers bacon, 4 large eggs, 1 cup milk, 1 cup cream, pepper, herbs, 1/2 cup grated cheese.
Cook the bacon till crisp, drain and chop up.
Mix the eggs, milk, cream, pepper and herbs.
Sprinkle the bacon over the bottom of the dish with the pastry in it, pour over the egg/cream/milk/herbs/pepper mix.
Bake in a hot oven (200C) for 20 minutes or till slightly "set". Open oven and sprinkle cheese over the top, reduce the heat to 180C and cook a further 20 minutes.
Serve with either chips (we had fried leftover potatoes - yum) and salad.
Its nice enough to serve at a dinner party, or great for an easy tea or lunch.

noonesgirl, Nov 4, 8:10am
Sounds yummy. Pleased you're another who says egg & bacon. Majority say bacon & egg.

stormbaby, Nov 4, 8:29am
hehehe, its called that in the book, and its toooo nice to be called bacon and egg. I always think bacon and egg is what you cook in the pan, the pie is egg and bacon!

beaker59, Jul 21, 10:55am
I'm not dissing your pie it sounds great but isn't that more like a quiche with pastry base and open top?