pofferties machine

jesusisalive, Jan 30, 10:31am
hi, does anyone know anything about pofferties (dutch mini pancakes) i have seen caste iron pans on ebay. Are they available in NZ, and do they make electric ones? We are thinking of adding it to my catering options. - and can you use ordinary pancake mix instead of fussing with yeast and buckwheat? thanks

dbab, Jan 31, 9:16pm
Here's the recipe I got from gelskitchen.com

500gms self raising flour; 2 large eggs; 800mls milk; 1 tsp vanilla extract; pinch of salt;olive oil for brushing the pan

Sift flour into a large bowl. Combine milk, eggs and vanilla extract in a bowl and mix lightly. Add the wet mixture to the flour and beat well for 3-5 minutes till the batter is light and fluffy. Cover and stand batter for an hour. Pour batter into a squeeze bottle(like the ones you get in the supermarket for sauce). Place poffertje pan on the cooktop at medium heat. Brush pan with a liberal amount of oil. When the oil is hot, squeeze the batter into each hole, filling it to just below the rim. When bubbles start appearing in the batter, flip each poffertje over with a butter knife. Cook this side for 2-3 minutes and slide them onto a plate.

Serve hot with strawberries, fresh cream, nuts and chocolate sauce.
Coarse sugar and fresh lemon juice is nice too, as is whipped cream and maple syrup
Enjoy!

lilyfield, Feb 1, 12:00am
if you are not fussing with yeast-don't call them Poffertjes

mscharlie, Feb 1, 12:33am
They do need buckwheat flour. Normal flour or even self raising flour doesn't give the same flavour. There are a couple of dutch shops around and they sometimes have the pans but we got ours in Australia. The cast iron is so much better than the electric - we have tried both - but for catering I don't know if the cast iron would be enough.
The places in Aus that sell them do send here, a friend has purchased through them.
They are big in Aussie - you find them at all craft fairs and events and places like that, and are generally served with butter and icing sugar.
They are fAB!

dbab, Feb 2, 1:14am
mscharlie, we've only ever had them in Australia with cream and maple syrup at the markets. Yes, they will post them here, but being cast iron, the cost of postage is high. They taste fine with plain flour.

kate777, Feb 3, 1:18am
I bought mine at the dutch shop in Henderson, Auckland. Cast iron pan, works really well.

I also make herb blini out of them, they work well with pretty much any pikelet/pancake recipe.

The same dutch shop has a poffertjes mix if you can't be arsed mixing your own.

kate777, Jul 27, 3:01am
Oooh, are ya gonna come round and make sure we don't? ?