Wanting to make xmas cakes in muffin tins

Page 1 / 2
trader-joy, Nov 2, 7:48pm
would this work??? Id like to make these as part ofa xmas package for special needs kids Have you any ideas of things to put in stocking

245sam, Nov 2, 7:55pm
trader-joy, making Christmas cakes in muffin tins does work (although to be honest I haven't done so myself) and if you're needing a recipe for those little treats you'll find one at:-

http://www.chelsea.co.nz/recipes/292/petite-christmas-cakes.aspx

lilyfield, Nov 2, 7:55pm
the three ingredient ones works really well. I made them for ind. wedding cakes for guests to take home

trader-joy, Nov 2, 7:59pm
Thanks so much do you perhaps have ideas for other treats we could make .

ribzuba, Nov 2, 8:36pm
i make my mini christmas cakes in small food tins, like water chesnut/tuna etc then they come out inthe perfect round shape too and are soo cute!

raewyn64, Nov 2, 8:41pm
or you could make a standard size one, and cut it into squares (or even maybe a circle cutter) and then ice them individually

purplegoanna, Nov 2, 9:34pm
i did small one last year in salmon/tuna tins (thouroughly washed of course) they came out great..must think about doing it again this year....

gilligee, Nov 2, 11:49pm
How long would you cook them in small tins? Your advise would help to take the guess work out of the cooking process.

fifie, Nov 3, 3:26am
I make little cakes in texas muffin tins put nuts on the top and glaze them witha apricot and brandy glaze, wrap them in cellophane and give as pressies they are popular...

seaspray1, Nov 3, 3:57am
I did some in muffin tins and was a little disappointed at the shape they took.The second batch I lined the tins with baking paper and it kept the shape a lot better.The first ones kind of took on a muffin shape IYKWIM.The paper gave them more structure - for want of a better word.I was thinking about trying the tuna tin method this year.They tasted fine regardless and I just used my usual Christmas cake recipe and cooked them at the same temperature until they were cooked - no idea really how long that took.

seaspray1, Nov 3, 3:59am
Other treats - what about candy cane brittle.Smash up your candy canes with a hammer - not too crushed, a few lumps are good.Melt white chocolate and let it cool.When cooled, but not set, mix in the candy cane.Spead baking paper on a baking tray and spread the mix thinly over the paper.Break into random shapes and sizes when set.

calista, Nov 8, 7:33am
Bumping for Motobro

gdwitch, Nov 9, 8:55am
Lilyfield (378) your 3 ingredient cake sounds interesting.Could you please post the recipe.Thanks

korbo, Nov 9, 6:22pm
seaapry that is a great idea.
yes i want to make small cakes for elderly people, so if i use my normal recipe and use texas tins, what is the cooking time. cant be 3hrs would it....thanks for advice anyone.

fifie, Nov 9, 8:45pm
Korbo i make little cakes in texas muffin tins put nuts and fruit on them and brush with a brandy apricot glaze for a nice shine, give them away wrapped up in cellophane and the oldies love them. I use kiwitrish's recipe she is a cake decorator on here, !/2 the recipe line the little tins with Baking paper and brown paper, 3/4 fill the tins with mixture and cook 125-130c about 70-80 mins or till cooked test with a toothpick. While they are still warm i sprinkle a tinkle of brandy on top and wrap cakes still in the tin in a big clean towel and leave sitting in the pantry till i glaze them about a week before xmas Usually make mid to end of nov, this works for me and i have tried a few recipes and different tins.

korbo, Nov 10, 1:51am
good, thankyou

litedelites, Nov 10, 2:30am
I have a recipe, that is sugar free Christmas cake, made with orange juice etc and make in muffin tin and they were great,even for me, who does not like Christmas cake.I will find & post if anyone interested.

horizons_, Nov 10, 7:34pm
I made the 3 ingred. recipe yesterday ad baked them in mini muffin tins. The cuteast little bite sized cakes. Next challenge is to decorate them. Recipe :- 1kg of fruit. Soak overnight in 2 cups juice (I used gingerale and 30ml brandy). Add 2 cups self raising flour (mix into fruit 1/2cup at a time). I also added 2 tsp ginger, 2 tsp cinamon, 1 tsp cloves and 1/2 tsp cardamon. Tastes good. Use your own mix of spices or not. Cook for 10 mins at 150deg. C. 15/20 mins for a bigger muffin tin or small tuna tin I'd guess. Nice moist cake and very easy to prepare. No added suagr, fat, or eggs is a bit of a bonus too.

nzhel, Nov 15, 9:58am
Hello trader-joy! Don't know whether you get the weekly New World brochure delivered or not - but in this weeks one dated 15th - 21st Nov, on page 10 there is a recipe for 'Petite Christmas Cakes'. They can be cooked in regular or Texas muffin tins and the recipe looks very nice. Might give it a go myself!

toadfish, Nov 15, 5:10pm
Yes Please....

trader-joy, Nov 15, 5:29pm
Thanks for posting the recipe toadfish. We made these in class yesterday the boys coped quite well, easy as for them to follow. We are going to decorate this morning fingers crossed l'm sure they will look good. Thanks all

nzhel, Nov 16, 12:51am
The Chelsea recipe and the New World brochure recipe seem to be one and the same!

510, Dec 20, 10:56pm
bumping for 245sam

245sam, Dec 20, 11:03pm
thanks 510 - I was correct in that my posting was in response to a request/enquiry.I didn't think I had actually started a thread on this topic as it's something I have not actually done, however I hope it goes well for you with your 12cm tins.
Please let us know what you do/did, temperature and time-wise for those little cakes and, of course, how you feel about the end-results.

Good luck and thanks again.Happy Christmas:-))

510, Dec 21, 3:19am
Hi Shirley, I did them at the stated temp of 150 & as I had 6 in atexas muffin tray & 2 in the12 cm clip pans . I did the muffin tray for 60mins & the other 2 for 70 mins.have now decorated one with fruit & nuts. They look great, even if i do say so myself. No skites in my family. LOL